• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Attacking heatmaps so far 2020/21

In AM's opinion, what is the problem with our attack?

• It's a systematic/tactical problem and our players are capable enough but stifled

• It's a personnel problem and the system and tactics are fine

• Definitely both.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The touch map for our forwards so far in the league, as I noticed its a hot topic atm.
Any other players you want to see, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Don't expect this to stay up too long- I expect these to be taken down as the website I got it from don't like it - its behind a paywall.

Arsenal touch maps

Auba

Laca

Willian

Pepe

Saka

If I was to put it in numbers, Saka has the most touches in our opponents half and is our most advanced player so far - he's just a bit wide.

Rival touch maps

Grealish

Calvert-Lewin

Bamford

Kane

Vardy

Last edited:

Moah

The touch map for our forwards so far in the league, as I noticed its a hot topic atm.

Don't expect this to stay up too long- I expect these to be taken down as the website I got it from don't like it - its behind a paywall.

Auba

Laca

Willian

Pepe

Saka

Aubameyang Average position on the pitch per week (week 1, week 2 etc)

Lacazette Average position on the pitch per week (week 1, week 2 etc)

If I was to put it in numbers, Saka has the most touches in our opponents half and is our most advanced player so far - he's just a bit wide.
We don't attack. Full stop.
If the manager had this map all this time and did nothing about it, then he really is an incompetent noob.

Pepe is a RWB there, ffs.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Arteta has to see the light and realise that whatever he wants from Auba isn't working now. Lacazette's situation is exacerbated by the fact that he keeps missing sitters, but you could obviously do with someone else in that role.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Pepe is a RWB there, ffs.
In all fairness, he's had 1 start (I think?? maybe not at all ) and a couple bench appearances -so his data is heavily skewed.

I feel like the others tell much more of a story of our season so far though. I saw Lacazette's positions I was a bit shocked.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
My boy Arteta seeing this thread...

giphy.gif

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Auba

Laca

Willian

Pepe

Saka

Aubameyang Average position on the pitch per week (week 1, week 2 etc)

Lacazette Average position on the pitch per week (week 1, week 2 etc)

Pepe having the ball the most in a RWB position is pretty ducking funny.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
i really think Arteta is just focusing on being solid at the back and then towards the second half of the season, stepping it up and trying for Europa cup / top 4.

However, as Mike Tyson said, everybody got a plan, till they get punched on the nose.

Arteta got punched once by Olympiakos and now by Aston Villa.

The way he responds will make or break him. The problem is that his hands may be tied with all the new management / board structure and might limit his ability to evolve and innovate/experiment.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good thread. Think Arteta is focusing too much on pressing and defense, and just hoping that things will work out for the forwards.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Good thread. Think Arteta is focusing too much on pressing and defense, and just hoping that things will work out for the forwards.
Unpopular belief but I genuinely believe we can survive with what we’ve got until summer so long as Auba stays injury free. There’s no need to be playing these guys the way we are at the moment.

My conclusion on seeing that data is, he needs to work on getting our most talented and biggest threats more centrally somehow. That’s Auba/Saka/Pepe.

Last edited:

kash2

Unpopular belief but I genuinely believe we can survive with what we’ve got until summer so long as Auba stays injury free. There’s no need to be playing these guys the way we are at the moment.

My conclusion on seeing that data is, he needs to work on getting our most talented and biggest threats more centrally somehow. That’s Auba/Saka/Pepe.

Auba is our only bullet...and suppose he doesnt fire?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Looks like Arteta wants to play with wingers hugging the touchline but Aubameyang isn't a winger he's a striker playing out wide he isn't Sterling or Hazard, looks like the same with Pepe also.

He needs to play with what he has and not try to copy City, this isn't going to work with the personnel.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think an obvious thing he should do, is move Saka further forward, none of this wingback nonsense anymore.

He is our most rounded attacking player, it was allow our attack to flow a little more smoothly...then Mikel needs to work on being a little braver, though this squad isn't great, we can be a bit more attacking imo.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Auba is our only bullet...and suppose he doesnt fire?
You’d hope Lacazette or Pepe can share the burden. Which sort of happened until City.

Lacazette now out of form and coming to the end of his Arsenal career and Pepe on bench. I dunno tbh.

shoot for the top

The heat map shows we rely too much on attacking down the sides which mainly due to the formation. I think the side-backs start too far forward in the 3-5-3 formation, which causes the other team to sit back and defend as a whole. In that situation, it is difficult to go through the center with everyone back defending, thus forcing us to go down the side. Sometimes it works, but if you consistently attack down the sides, you will get found out. Also, due to the fact that we don't have creative players who can unlock a tight defense, we just lose the ball and get countered. On the other hand, this formation has strengthened our defense. I wonder if the addition of Gabriel has already rectified that issue and allows us to use a more expansive formation.

kash2

You’d hope Lacazette or Pepe can share the burden. Which sort of happened until City.

Lacazette now out of form and coming to the end of his Arsenal career and Pepe on bench. I dunno tbh.

Pepe, Saka, Nketiah, Willock ...these seem the only ones who look like being able to score... based purely on how they look like with the ball.

Need to get them closer to goal. I think Pepe on one side, and Saka on another, with Willock in midfield ...and nketiah to start in some games and tire out the opposition defence before bringing in Auba / Laca in the last 30... that may work.

however it seems Mikel is playing 4D chess..and its tough to understand what exactly his game plan is. However Villa really ripped his plan apart. That goal that was disallowed, they had just cut us apart in the first 5 minutes and our team and manager just couldnt handle it from then on.

Kysus

heatmaps for our CMs would be interesting

This "gameplan" is still a bit confusing tbh. There is a reason teams let you have the ball on the flanks, it's the least dangerous zone on the pitch especially if you do not have a tower in the centre.

I would understand overloading the left flank(w/ Saka and Auba almost playing the same position) if we eventually moved it central via triangles but we don't.
Saka, Tierney or Auba(with his weak foot) usually just put a cross in.
On the other side Willian or Pepe rarely get the support to work it into a shooting position either. Willian usually just puts a cross in(that combination w/ Auba where he hit the bar is what we should do more often) while Pepe usually just passes it back because he would have to go past 3 players.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom