• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Attacking heatmaps so far 2020/21

In AM's opinion, what is the problem with our attack?

• It's a systematic/tactical problem and our players are capable enough but stifled

• It's a personnel problem and the system and tactics are fine

• Definitely both.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Good thread. This is worrying look how deep laca is he rarely have touches in the box and he is our striker.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Arteta will have to get few tactics fixed even of you play 343 you'll still can create chances look at Atalanta they always play 343 but they fun going forward they were scoring 3 goals a game and thier squad quality way below than ours but Gasprini play with players that suited with this formation

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Nope, we have more than one bullet, we need our gun slinger to load them in the gun. Pepe, Özil, Nelson.
true... at some point we have to look at our arsenal and use the big guns.

whats the point of having a big ass cannon if you never bother to load it

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

@Moah @RunTheTrap

Nothing surprising here. Midfielders stay on the half way line and rarely venture forward. They collect the ball from our defenders and send it back out wide.

Xhaka's heatmap is identical to Elneny's but just in reverse on the left.

AMN and Kolasinac have had one start each in the league, there's nothing to really take from that.

Moah

@Moah @RunTheTrap

Nothing surprising here. Midfielders stay on the half way line and rarely venture forward. They collect the ball from our defenders and send it back out wide.

AMN and Kolasinac have had one start each in the league, there's nothing to really take from that.
Thanks man, you never disappoint!

Kysus

Uff
Laca heatmap is the same as Partey's, just 10 yards further forward.
(pretty ridiculous considering the difference in minutes)

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Yeah, people keep saying how bad Lacazette is but I made a table showing the amount of passes received in the final third by strikers in the league.

This included every striker who has made 5 starts or more so far. Table speaks for itself.

This is inline with Athletics article about our struggling attack, take a look at the teams at the bottom of the below table. Different metrics, but they both measure progression in the final third and the order of teams almost matches my table.

Emm8oIgXEAENGrJ

Yes, yes I know Lacazette is the worst striker on the planet I get it, but its not entirely his fault. Our attack needs work.

Last edited:

Kysus

Jimenez topping that table is interesting considering that Wolves are struggling to score too

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Yeah, Wolves are an outlier - but in athletics table they are right down the bottom. Jiminez see's the ball a lot, but is often out wide which counts as final third and would explain it.

I did notice that he gets a fair few crosses in for a big man.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yeah, people keep saying how bad Lacazette is but I made a table showing the amount of passes received in the final third by strikers in the league.

This included every striker who has made 5 starts or more so far. Table speaks for itself.

This is inline with Athletics article about our struggling attack, take a look at the teams at the bottom of the below table. Different metrics, but they both measure progression in the final third and the order of teams almost matches my table.

Emm8oIgXEAENGrJ

Yes, yes I know Lacazette is the worst striker on the planet I get it, but its not entirely his fault. Our attack needs work.

Seems like you stats guys just want to say Arteta is doing a bad job but want to be diplomatic about it.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Emm8oIgXEAENGrJ

First of all great thread and posts. Also totally agree we really aren't utilising our attackers properly and they're performing accordingly. Lacazette isn't R9 but he's better than we're letting him be.

Also it's clear as day how badly we're using Auba

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Seems like you stats guys just want to say Arteta is doing a bad job but want to be diplomatic about it.
He’s doing a bad job with our attack but he’s done some things I like. I should probably talk that up more.

I am also sympathetic to Arteta cause this isn’t his team. We both know he’s not signing Lacazette or Pepe if he had £120 million, this team looks totally different.

I trust him to turn things around anyways - the point I wanted to emphasise though is that the players we have are actually good enough to get through this season. They can be effective if used a bit better.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Just came to read some since a pretty long while.

Have to say @Macho you really deserve that Trusted status. Great contribution from you this whole thread.

Seems like objective criticism on AM. Am I dreaming?

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Just came to read some since a pretty long while.

Have to say @Macho you really deserve that Trusted status. Great contribution from you this whole thread.

Seems like objective criticism on AM. Am I dreaming?
Cheers man, I actually feel like I have taken it a bit far and come across anti Arteta when I am not.

I've basically made a whole thread pointing out how crap our attack is and it's so easy to play sofa manager and point out what's wrong.

Stats always only tell part of a story anyways, but I think its a good talking point.

So is Willian touching the ball more offensively than Pepe? What is happening there? Is Arteta instructing Willian to be offensive but Pepe defensive? Or is Arteta looking at these maps and see that Willian is better than Pepe in this regard atm and hence(with various other reasons) picking him instead of Pepe?

It would be interesting to see these touch maps for Laca and Auba under Emery and last season Arteta and see the changes.

Its difficult for me to comment on which one is at fault Arteta or the players. I dont rate Laca or Auba as winger, I even suspect they are both declining buts it to soon to tell, Im not even sure I rate Pepe. I love Arteta. But Ive said its probably a bit of both to blame but I think we also need to look at the midfield and defense. We are playing Elneny as a starter now thats how bad our midfielders are atm. Thats not good for attackers to play with.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

So is Willian touching the ball more offensively than Pepe? What is happening there? Is Arteta instructing Willian to be offensive but Pepe defensive? Or is Arteta looking at these maps and see that Willian is better than Pepe in this regard atm and hence(with various other reasons) picking him instead of Pepe?
The Pepe one is a bit weird as his touch map is almost worthless, the most you can get from that is his starting position.

To be precise, Willian has had 7 starts and over 500 mins whilst Pepe has had 1 start and just over 200 mins, so you couldn’t even do a direct comparison yet.

Pepe often comes off the bench so it may be instructions from Arteta which would explain why he isn’t as advanced as Willian, there’s a lot this doesn’t tell us. We could be protecting a lead or something.

Comparing heat maps from last season to this season - whilst under Emery vs Arteta specifically would be a good idea actually.

As for who’s fault it is, we definitely are not in the opponents box enough, but I also think our senior forwards are woefully off form. Maybe a bit of both? But it’s open to interpretation.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The touch map for our forwards so far in the league, as I noticed its a hot topic atm.
Any other players you want to see, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Don't expect this to stay up too long- I expect these to be taken down as the website I got it from don't like it - its behind a paywall.

Arsenal touch maps

Auba

Laca

Willian

Pepe

Saka

If I was to put it in numbers, Saka has the most touches in our opponents half and is our most advanced player so far - he's just a bit wide.

Rival touch maps

Grealish

Calvert-Lewin

Bamford

Kane

Vardy

With Vardy if you look at his shot numbers he barely averages any on target per 90.

Like last year I think he’s riding the crest of a wave which will crash soon. It’s not sustainable to have got as many penalties as they have.

As for us the numbers make grim reading and if we can bump up Auba’s shots level to one close to Vardy’s we’d at least see him scoring some goals again.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Vardy is a complete anomaly. His attacking stats are almost as bad as Aubas but he’s had 4 or 5 penalties.

The fine margins are insane between a good start and a bad start this season.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
@Moah @RunTheTrap

Thank you for the hard work mate

Latest posts+

Top Bottom