Arsenal Finances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by TheLoneFalcon, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Iceman10

Iceman10 Well-Known Member

Mystery solved:

Q) Where did the "£40m restricted transfer budget" come from?

A) "Arsenal Supporters Trust" (AST), where constant whinges every summer about restricted budgets, even if not accurate, gain attention, and suit their agenda. Lazy journalists such as John Cross then report their numbers as fact without noting the source.

https://untold-arsenal.com/archives/76339

(as explained above, we clearly have ability to spend well over £40m net this summer based on new commercial deals kicking in)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

from the outside looking in, there is only one thing an analyst can do: use the club's financial statements to calculate free cash flow that can be spent on transfers.

i did the numbers myself several pages back and also got to 45M for this summer. that value simply represents what we generated last season and assumes we spend it all on transfers (by the way, this has been the case for the prior two summers, though i havent gone back further than that).

how would i reconcile such a limited budget with the pepe rumors? there are several things the club can do to spend beyond the 45M. for example, they can draw down from the massive cash reserve, or they can spend money today in anticipation of receiving higher revenue from our new sponsorships. they can also sell players or limit other types of investment going forward.

the fact is, this is the first summer where gazidis is no longer at the club, and we have two new executives who would ostensibly like to make an impression to win over the fans. it wouldn't surprise me at all if they managed our finances more aggressively for a while -- there is flexibility to do that.

but, without any inside information re: management's plan, there is no way for an outside analyst to account for that kind of stuff.

3. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

I think that's exactly what they're doing

Fallout and Iceman10 like this.
  4. Iceman10

Iceman10 Well-Known Member

... maybe with some encouragement by Adidas, although I wouldn't take away from it being our new guys going less conservative, esp. as they are now using super-agents for key transfers (Pepe).

5. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

Seen some rival fans trying to claim we’re mortgaging our future and this way of buying players will ruin future transfer windows if we don’t make top 4 :lol:

OnlyOne, Iceman10 and Hunta like this.
  6. Hunta

Hunta NOT In A Caravan Trusted

They’re just used to Arsenal spending less than relegation clubs. ****ting themselves now the biggest club in the world is waking up and flexing its muscle.

OnlyOne, Gooner416, mavelous and 4 others like this.
  7. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Original source of the “40 million transfer budget” rumour has finally been revealed.....
    [​IMG]

truth_hurts likes this.
  8. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Anyone knows the (approximate) wages Asano, Amaechi, Thompson and Nwakali were on? I reckon they are on about 20-25k? Based on Bielik's wages. Trying to make an excel overview.

9. Hunta

Hunta NOT In A Caravan Trusted

Doubt Amaechi and Thompson were on that. Maybe £15k tops all those.

Ricardinho and Dutch D like this.
  10. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

Amazing what you can do on a £45m budget.....

[​IMG]

Benge and the rest of the bellends are now trying to twist the figures to make it look like they were correct. Shameless.

celestis likes this.
  11. Dutch D

Made a table of our transfer business.
    Some of the wages are estimates.
    Didn't bother with installments/amortisation.

Incoming Fee (£) Wages (£)
    Martinelli 6 20
    Tierney 25 75
    Saliba 27 40
    Ceballos 0 60
    Pepe 72 140
    Luiz 8 120
    Total 138 455

Outgoing
    Cech 0 100
    Lichtsteiner 0 90
    Ramsey 0 110
    Welbeck 0 70
    Ospina 4 40
    Koscielny 4+1 90
    Bennacer 4 0
    Asano 1 30
    Amaechi 2,5 15
    Thompson 3 15
    Bielik 9,5 20
    Jenkinson 2 45
    Nwakali 0 15
    Iwobi 28+6 50

Total 58+7 690
    Net 80 (73) -235

(edit: why doesn't the spacing work?)

samshere and drippin like this.
  12. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Superior Journalist To Charles Watts

Please can somebody reply to these idiots and tell them they know nothing.

13. TromsoGooner

TromsoGooner Well-Known Member

Great list which shows how well we have done. But I do think we paid a fee to Real to loan Ceballos.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  14. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Yes 4m Euros

Sanchez11's ghost and Dutch D like this.
  15. Dutch D

What's the fee? Think I read something like £3m on this forum at some point, but haven't really seen it reported anywhere.

Also, looking at the BBC table our amount spent is closer to £160m, so there is a £20m gap with my calculations. What did I miss?

16. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Superior Journalist To Charles Watts

So we have reduced our wage bill by 12m and improved the team nice one.

17. KingHenry14

KingHenry14 New Member

That’s the key right there...

Sanchez11's ghost likes this.
  18. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

No we spent total 138m. But of course its installments so you looking on about 50M first payments in this summer budget

Dutch D likes this.
  19. Dutch D

Hopefully we'll add some more. Elneny is on £50k and Monreal and Kolasinac on £70k and £120k respectively. So looking at an £120k to £170k if we offload two of those. Mustafi can leave to, he's on £90k. Might potentially double those wages saved to ~£25m.

20. TromsoGooner

TromsoGooner Well-Known Member

Superb business. Hopefully we can still get rid of at least one of Elneny and Mustafi which will make it even better.

Sanchez11's ghost likes this.