• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Legend 3 - David "Rocky" Rocastle

Aussie

Established Member
david_rocastle.jpg

It might go anywhere ROCASTLE, Arsenal through to Wembley

David “Rocky” Rocastle lit up the sometimes dour Arsenal teams of the late eighties and early nineties. Not only was he a very special player but he was also a amazing person and a true gentleman. That was clear from the amazing tributes that flooded in for Rocky during the days after his tragic death on the 31st of March 2001. Rocky was only 33 but he left Arsenal fans and Football fans in general with a lifetime of memories. His name will be remembered and will continue to be sung during games at Highbury and The Grove for years to come.

Rocky was one of those kids who clearly stood out as a youngster and he had the potential to be something special. He was spotted by the Gunners playing for South London Schoolboys and was quickly snapped up and Arsenal signed him as a apprentice in May of 1982. He was to come through the youth ranks with the likes of Paul Merson and Tony Adams and was rated very highly by all who saw him. Rocky’s debut came against Newcastle at Highbury in September of 1985 and it was seen as one of the more impressive debuts by a Arsenal youngster. He was to make a further 16 appearances for the Red and White that season and it was clear to Arsenal fans that they had something special on their hands.

Pace and lots of it, silky skills and his amazing passing ability made sure that Rocky became a regular member of the first team during the 1986/87 season. He was to play all but 6 games and was duly awarded with the Arsenal player of the year award and also earnt a place in the PFA Division one team of the year. Not to bad for a 20 year old.

QUEUE HERE FOR YOUR TICKETS THE PA WAS HEARD TO SAY
BUT UP POPPED ROCKY ROCASTLE AND RUINED TOTNUMBS DAY

Its seen by many as a defining moment for Arsenal. Without a trophy since 1979 Arsenal were up against Arch Rivals Tottenham in the Semi Final of the League cup. The teams could not be separated after two games and after a toss of the coin the third game was to be held at White Hart Lane. Arsenal again went a goal down but thanks to a Ian Allinson goal in the second half scores were level. Its moments like that where the stage is set for someone to propel themselves into the History books and makes themselves a legend forever. That’s exactly what Rocky Rocastle did. With only a few minutes go O’Leary hit a long ball into the box and in the goalmouth scramble that ensured Rocky popped up and sent Arsenal to Wembley and eventually to claim our first trophy since 1979 as Arsenal came from behind to beat Liverpool 2-1.

Every where Rocky went he was loved. This was largely due to him being a complete professional on and off the field. He gave it all while on the pitch. Anfield 89 It was up for grabs. Liverpool fans still say they knew they were in trouble when they saw Rocky with just minutes to go still punching the air and demanding more from his teammates. Well it was up for grabs and Arsenal took it with two hands and Rocky had his first championship medal for The Arsenal. The 1989 season was Rocky’s best for the Gunners.

Things over the next two seasons were not so good for him. He missed a number of games due to a knee injury that required surgery and just wouldn’t go away. It not only cost him games but it also cost him his place in the England side. Rocky however claimed another championship medal when Arsenal went through the 90/91 season with only losing one game.

A new season and Rocky was back and the Arsenal fans loved it. He always had the ability to do something special and was a clear standout in the sometimes dour Arsenal sides of the late eighties and early nineties. He produced a number of truly amazing goals in his career and scored one of the goals of the season against Manchester United. Won it in the midfield, skipped past two tacklers then rode a tackle from Paul Ince then audaciously chipped Schmeichel from 30 yards.

George Graham admitted it was one of the hardest decisions he has ever had to make and it was one that sent Arsenal fans into shock. Rocky cried and begged not to be sold however his pleas fell on deaf ears and he was sold to Leeds United for two million pounds. While Rocky left Arsenal he was always a Gooner and a 100% Gooner at that. He was constantly troubled by injury and was to make several moves to various clubs including Chelsea, City and Norwich. He was never to recapture that form he had with Arsenal in his early days. If it wasn’t for his knee who knows what he might have been.

David “Rocky” Rocastle announced that he was suffering from Cancer in February of 2001. Most believed that Rocky would simply fight on and beat it like Rocky always did. However this was one battle that he would not win. He passed away on the 31st of March 2001. That day Arsenal played Tottenham, the club Rocky brought to its nears 14 years earlier. A emotional minute silence was undertaken before the game and credit must be given to the Tottenham fans who gave Rocky the respect he deserved. Arsenal won the game 2-0 with Robert Pires wearing Rocky’s old number 7 scoring one of the goals.

Rocky’s son was the team mascot when we took on Liverpool in the 2001 FA Cup final. It was another emotional moment as the Arsenal fans present began to belt out Rocky’s name loud and proud. An amazing footballer and a amazing person who was a husband and a father was taken from the world when only 33 but his name will be one that will never ever be forgotten at The Arsenal.

"OH ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY"

David Rocastle, Arsenal Legend

DSC01231.JPG

_1253012_rocastle_new150.jpg

eddie_wills

that was excellent - Rocky was a Chelsea player when i first started getting into football, but I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Very moving

His son Craig has just gained promotion to the Championship with Sheff Weds after being released by Chelsea. Best of luck to the lad

Aussie

Established Member
eddie_wills said:
His son Craig has just gained promotion to the Championship with Sheff Weds after being released by Chelsea. Best of luck to the lad

Didnt know that. Great to hear.

Canuck

Established Member
Top notch Aussie. You're 3 for 3. :mrgreen:
Certainly a world away from the goings on with players at the club these days.
Nice to read something other than the harpings that have been going on lately.
Keep it up.

Arjan

Great piece, once again!

Anyone knows where I can download the rocky anti-cancer screensaver? (excuse my language, I don't know the real name) It would make a nice extra paragraph to this piece IMO.

I had it on my previous PC but lost it.

BradySeven

George Graham admitted it was one of the hardest decisions he has ever had to make and it was one that sent Arsenal fans into shock. Rocky cried and begged not to be sold however his pleas fell on deaf ears and he was sold to Leeds United for two million pounds.

Great read, a true legend and example to some of todays players. He epitomized what it means to love the club. I never forgave Graham for selling Rocky and Mickey Thomas.

DOUBLE-YOU

Most complete right sided midfielder i have seen play for arsenal. he was like a centre midfielder but with the dribbling abilities of a winger. very rare you will find that combination in a player. never sherked responsibilities and always helping the defence out when needed. at one stage everyone thought he was better than gazza.
always remember the first time i saw rocky play. it was against qpr at highbury in 1986. he played well but what stood out was when slapped one of the rangers players in the face. the crowd heard it but the ref never saw it. apart from the fact he was a brilliant player he goes down as a legend for getting sent off at old trafford for kicking norman whiteside. (if thats not arsenal through and through nothing is LOL)

personal top 5 rocky goals

5. 30 yard lob v aston villa Div 1 match at villa park 1989 season
4. thunder bolt from edge of the area v Liverpool 1989 littlewoods cup at anfield
3 winning goal v Sp**s semi-final of littlewoods cup at white hart lane 1987
2 mazy dribble v middlesboro Div1 match at highbury 1989 season
1 THAT goal v man utd Div1 match at old trafford. 1992 - rocky won a tackle dribled between ince and bryan robson and chipped schmichel from 30 yards

what a player.

famous no 10

Established Member
Could never understand why Graham sold him, he didn't want to leave and even Graham had him in his all time best Arsenal team, on his video.

Great player.

MAK

"His son Craig has just gained promotion to the Championship with Sheff Weds after being released by Chelsea. Best of luck to the lad" His nephew I think...

No I have no idea why he was sold...

invisibleman18

Established Member
Awesome. I have seen plenty of footage of him, just wish I was old enough to appreciate his contributions to the club at the time.
I look forward to reading about more legends in your series Aussie. Theres plenty more to do.

MAK

The news that he had been sold hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't believe it. Why? And to the team that had just taken our title. What was Graham thinking?

Then he sold Micky Thomas a few months later. And what did we get in return? A midfield of Hillier, Selley, Parlour (before he was good), Jensen & then McGoldrick. It was torture.

Then GG has the audacity to put Rocky into his all time XI. While he was still playing...

Anyway, Rocky will never forget you...

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Top stuff Aussie, Rocky was my first favourite Gunner, I remember I had like a hand drawn poster of him on my wall. I also remember exactly where I was when I heard of his tragic death, I guess it was a JFK moment for Gooners everywhere. I had bought the Sunday papers on my way from my girlfriend's (following her 18th birthday celebration) the sun was shining, life was sweet, there was Neil Finn cd with the paper. And I flipped the sports section open to read about our win against the Sp**s, and the news hit me like a thunderbolt. I had to sit down, it was difficult to explain how I felt about this guy she'd never heard of, so she let me sit in silence taking it all in.

Anyway, happier times...
Rocky scored on my debut at Highbury, I don't remember too much about the goal (I'll have to dig that video out again) but it was in the 5-2 win against Sheffield United.
That goal against Villa 88/89, one of the most perfect lobs ever.
Slaloming dribbles through Middlesborough and Southampton defences in the same, title winning season.
The bullet against Liverpool, took me a while to appreciate just how good that goal was. But I was so young...
And of course, anyone that knocks Tottenham out of a cup competition in the last minute, at the Lane, nevermind making Peter Schmuckel look like a prat, is a legend forever.

God bless Rocky, love you forever.

burnsjed

Established Member
I was actually at OT when he scored that goal, great moment.
You had to think the club knew more about his injury then they were letting on, as he never came close to regaining that form, and missed a ton of games.
I don't believe for one secong that GG would have let him go otherwise, especially as Rocky made his all time team.

Rocky will never be forgotten

Henry IV

David Rocastle is an absolute legend. When I started watching football after the 1990 World Cup he was one of the most memorable Arsenal players. The Arsenal teams he played in had great flair and he was one of the most skillful exponents off it. He was a great dribbler and knew how to get past people but he also worked so hard for the team. There was a great moment against Boro in the 88-89 season when he did this extraordinary dribble with magical ball skills. He was also a homegrown lad, one of us. It was a crying shame that he left the club at such a young age. Rocky should have been the creative linchpin of our midfield right into the late 1990s. That goal he scored at OT when he chipped Schmeichel is one of the best Arsenal goals I've ever seen. Selling Rocky was a grim mistake and indicative of the direction in which GG was taking the team. The news of his death was absolutely shocking. A really sad day. Even my mum and my brother who aren't football fans were shocked when I told them the news. Rocky's death was an appalling tragedy but he lives on in the hearts of all of us.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Henry IV, I think that's a bit harsh, certainly at the time it seemed like GG had made a mistake, and our midfield was appalling for a good couple of years, but Rocky hardly set the world on fire elsewhere (apart from a wicked dragback he did for Man City..) I think jed's right when he talks about the club knowing more about his knee problems than they let on. A tragedy for both Arsenal and Rocky, really.

Also, Aussie, the 91-92 side couldn't really be accused of dourness, I saw 3 games that season and witnessed 17 goals. Twelve scored by us! Remember the video 92 for 92...

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Excellent read (although I wouldn't call any of the football we played at that time dour in any way - after Rocky left maybe, but not the years he was there).

My all time fave gooner, because he really and truly was one of us. And sublimely gifted as well.

Someonementioned he was more like a central midfielder than a wide man. Up until he got into the first team he was a central midfielder and if it wasn't for his injuries GG was intending to move him back to the middle.

Did Arsenal know more about his injury than they let on? I know for a fact they didn't. It was more down to concerns about his inability to retain full fitness (which apparently may have been anearly sign of his illness) that he was sold.

I also don't think it's fair to criticise GG for actually selling him (not what I said at the time though!). Rocky had lost the dynamism that was a big part of his game and I honestly think selling him was an act of love by GG (as in if you really love something let it go). He was likely to be peripheral at Highbury and when he joined Leeds they were the reigning League Champions.

Only name I've ever had on a shirt.

AFCG7

Established Member
IN hindsight i could say GG was probably right. From a sentimental point of view we all thought he should have kept ROcky because he was so well loved by the team and the fans...but then again GG was never one to care about sentiment.. he wanted to get the job done.

velimir.. you are right.. so young. Taken from us at such a young age with memories of him still fresh in the mind.

RIP Rocky..still missed.

Top Bottom