• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Legend 4 - Liam Brady

Aussie

Established Member
Oh Brady won it beautifully, Look at that Oh look at that, What a goal by Brady, A marvelous goal designed for the big occasion

That sublime strike from the greatest left foot to ever grace the Highbury turf won Liam Brady the goal of the season in 1978. That sublime strike was also one of five goals in our Christmas eve rout against the old enemy down at the ****ty end of Seven Sisters road. While Sunderland scored a hatrick Brady ran the show that night. He also set up Stapleton with a goal after a exquisite piece of dribbling and a beautiful chipped cross allowing Stapleton to head into a empty net. In fact many believed that it was Brady’s remarkable ability to chip the ball that earnt him the nickname “Chippy” however it was more to with his love of the deep fried variety of the chip.

Brady was born in Dublin on the 13th of February 1956. He had indeed been going to Highbury since he was 13 and at the age of 15 he was to sign for Arsenal as a apprentice in the double year of 1971. He was to make his debut as a substitute against Birmingham City where those present say the young scrawny 17 year old came on changed the game and in the eyes of Arsenal fans a star was born.

The 1974/75 season saw Brady take a regular place in the Arsenal first team and it wasn’t long before the Highbury crowd began to adore the young lad. Over the next few years Brady was to become the midfield general and was constantly firing the precision perfect passes for the likes of Stapleton to pounce on and continually got forward and scored some cracking goals. As he had such a great left peg we could have easily excused him if he hadn’t a right foot. However that was clearly not the case just look at cross for Stapleton’s goal in the 79 Cup Final.

This is Brady trying to shake of McIlroy, sweet skills from Brady, Stapleton out on the right, trying to feed Price, Price is in here for Arsenal, TALBOT

This is Brady, Good Skills from Brady, two waiting in the centre for the cross, Stapleton two nil Arsenal

There is a minute left on the clock, Brady for Arsenal, right across Sunderland its there, Its 3-2 Arsenal back in front through Alan Sunderland

Still wondering why they call the 1979 FA Cup final the Brady Final? It was Brady’s only medal for Arsenal and if ever a Arsenal player deserved more medals it was Chippy. He rightly won the man of the match award for Arsenal, playing a crucial part in all three of Arsenals goals. His effort for the 3rd goal can not be underestimated. Everybody was in complete shock at what had just happened, 2-0 bang 2-2. Brady claims he was just trying to get the ball as far away from Arsenals goals as possible but he did so much more than that. Gaps started appearing and he continued to press forward, a sublime pass to Rix who in turn played the perfect cross to the man with the perm Alan Sunderland. The rest as they say is history.

Liam Brady however rates the two legs of the 1980 semi final of the Cup Winners Cup against Juventus as the biggest achievement of any Arsenal team he played in. Brady again was unstoppable and showed the Italians just how good he was. Since they couldn’t stop him fairly they resorted to try and kick him of the park.

Against impossible odds Arsenal defeated Juve in Turin in what is still considered to be one of the best Arsenal performances ever. Juventus looked like they were going to get the result they were looking for however up popped Paul Vaessen to head home and give Arsenal a remarkable victory. The away leg was only seen by a few hundred Arsenal fans and it was not shown on TV due to Forest playing in a European Cup final that night. Brady had been immense in both legs. However as it turned out the final of the Cup Winners Cup was to be Brady’s last appearance for Arsenal. Unfortunately he did not leave Arsenal fans with a great last memory as he missed a penalty in the shootout as Arsenal went down to Valencia.

Brady’s dazzling performances against Juve simply came back to haunt Arsenal fans. He broke Arsenals fans hearts as he left Arsenal to sign for Juventus. Most Arsenal fans realized that Brady needed bigger challenges and wished him well. However the transfer fee of $514,000 pounds shouldn’t have bought his right boot let alone his left.

Brady continued to show just how good he was as he quickly won over the Juve fans as he dazzled them with his skills. He was only to stay at Juve for two years however he claimed two titles. A penalty also was his last effort with Juve however this time it won them there second title in two years. Brady then had stints at Sampdoria, Inter Milan and West Ham.

He was then to have two unsuccessful stints at managing at Celtic and Brighton in the early 90's however he was to return to the Home of Football in 1996. Liam Brady is now the head of youth development at Arsenal and has led the youth team to FA Cup Success in 2001 and 2002. Whenever the impossible question of picking Arsenals all time 11 pops up Chippy is always one of if not the first to be picked. That goal at WHL summed Brady up well, just beautiful to watch.

Liam Brady, Arsenal Legend.

liambrady.jpg

liam_brady.jpg

Arsenal Record
235 League games, 43 goals
35 FA Cup games, 2 goals
23 League Cup games, 10 goals
13 European games, 4 goals
Other appearences 138, 23 goals

Career Totals
515 appearences, 105 goals

Honours with Arsenal
72 Eire caps
PFA Footballer of the Year 1978/9
FA Cup Winner 1979
FA Cup Runner-up 1978, 1980
European Cup Winners Cup Finalist 1980

A

Anonymous

Aussie

Please let me know (by email) if you're okay with me publishing this to the main site, and if so, what name you would like me to credit it to.

Thanks.

Voldemort

Established Member
great post Aussie!!amazing read!for me this young its good to know from a fan himself how good he was!! :D

alonso14

Established Member
great article

Liam Brady was one of my fave non Liverpool players.....

that goal v Sp**s at WHL when he curled it, at the time, was a sight to behold

true genius

RC8

Established Member
alonso14 said:
great article

Liam Brady was one of my fave non Liverpool players.....

that goal v Sp**s at WHL when he curled it, at the time, was a sight to behold

true genius

"Look at that! Oh! Look at that!" ;)

True genius indeed.

Asterix

Established Member
Tony Woodcock next please!

I might get aroud to doing one om my hero, Pat Jennings, one day too....

Don't wait up though.

LIAMBRADY7

I cried for a week when he left for Italy and then for the next five years looked at the sports pages of the papers everyday to see if he was coming home!
I was lucky as i was at the 79 cup final aged 9yrs old and got to witness the genius of my all-time hero.People say that we haven't replaced Tony Adams but 26 years on we still haven't replaced "the prince of Highbury".

Latest posts

Top Bottom