• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Legends past and present

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Apologies if there is a similar thread but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for...

My aim is for this thread to be a sort of compilation of Arsenal legends doing their stuff both at Arsenal and at other clubs before or since their Arsenal days. Inspired by this video:

I always had it in my mind that Henry was a god at Arsenal and then his level slipped a bit at Barca before he left in 2010 but I thought I'd double check...and boy was I wrong :lol:

The guy was retardedly good at everything bar possibly heading the ball. Pace? Check. Dribbling? Check. Off the ball runs? Check. Finishing from literally any situation? Check. Elite first touch? Check. I could go on...

Also of note, he played in the same front line as Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Messi FFS :lol: Imagine being a defender and seeing that forward line :facepalm:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Still think their 2009 team is their best, over any that came after it...was heartbroken when Henry left, but was happy he got his Champions League...wish it was with us though.

Was still a superb player after leaving us, just not as good as his peak with us.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Still think their 2009 team is their best, over any that came after it...was heartbroken when Henry left, but was happy he got his Champions League...wish it was with us though.

Was still a superb player after leaving us, just not as good as his peak with us.
That team with Etoo, Henry and Messi was one of the most OP teams in history.

Riou

Henry had an all-time career, even scored the main goal in the greatest football ad of all time!

Riou

...one of my fav matches as a Arsenal fan, and in my opinion our most impressive victory of our 2006 Champions League run.

The Madrid games were great, but looking at that Real Madrid team, I would always back us, their defence was very suspect...you had a very young Ramos (who Henry destroyed in both games) and a VERY injury prone Woodgate that was one quick turn from being out for the season (which I think actually happened to him in the first leg!) they had some top forwards, but not a truly top Real Madrid team from pre and post 2006...Thomas Gravesen was their DM for goodness sake :lol:

The players that appeared against us over the two legs for Juventus were...Buffon, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Chiellini, Vieira, Nedved, Emerson, Camoranesi, Mutu, Del Piero, Trezeguet and Ibra...some real top players, all over the pitch, and we beat them over the two legs pretty convincingly...was so proud of our players after this game...

...extra, Cesc's performance that day...up against two top quality CMs, one being our best ever central midfielder...Cesc was just quality.

Last edited:

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Can confirm Peter Osgood was a gooner.. Even the king of stamford bridge was a gooner.. We simply run London

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Absolutely love this op-doc featuring Bob Wilson about the psychology of the goalkeeper position.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Henry should never have gone to Barcelona. His highest level ended with the CL defeat, he was still a very good player for another 3 seasons or so.

I think Wenger mistakenly thought, because he dipped in his last season with us, that he was on a decline and persuaded him (Wenger was a very clever psychologist) to ask to leave so we could "cash in". I think we sold him for less than market value.

Peak Henry was the best, as in the most influential, player we've ever had and was a better all round player than Messi. He was unlucky enough to play for a team which was never as dominant as Barcelona either domestically or in Europe and he is a legend because despite his leaving he gave us his best years, he could have earned and won more elsewhere, and he has always had us in his heart since then.

You cannot be a club legend if you have disrespected the club, so the Ashley Coles and Van Persies of this world are very good players who played for the Arsenal but not Arsenal legends.

Riou

Henry should never have gone to Barcelona. His highest level ended with the CL defeat, he was still a very good player for another 3 seasons or so.

I think Wenger mistakenly thought, because he dipped in his last season with us, that he was on a decline and persuaded him (Wenger was a very clever psychologist) to ask to leave so we could "cash in". I think we sold him for less than market value.

Peak Henry was the best, as in the most influential, player we've ever had and was a better all round player than Messi. He was unlucky enough to play for a team which was never as dominant as Barcelona either domestically or in Europe and he is a legend because despite his leaving he gave us his best years, he could have earned and won more elsewhere, and he has always had us in his heart since then.

You cannot be a club legend if you have disrespected the club, so the Ashley Coles and Van Persies of this world are very good players who played for the Arsenal but not Arsenal legends.

We couldn't have kept Henry unfortunately, he wanted to go Barca in 2006 but Arsène asked him for one more year which Thierry agreed too...shame he never won a World Player of the year award, he more than deserved one...he is the best player to play in England imo, the only other one who's peak was on the same level was Ronaldo, I would give Henry the edge due to longevity (5 top seasons versus 3.)

Agree with the legends part...for our club that's a very hard room to get into, we have had some of the best of the best at Arsenal.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
We couldn't have kept Henry unfortunately, he wanted to go Barca in 2006 but Arsène asked him for one more year which Thierry agreed too...shame he never won a World Player of the year award, he more than deserved one...he is the best player to play in England imo, the only other one who's peak was on the same level was Ronaldo, I would give Henry the edge due to longevity (5 top seasons versus 3.)

Agree with the legends part...for our club that's a very hard room to get into, we have had some of the best of the best at Arsenal.
The night of the CL final when the Barca thugs, especially Marquez, kicked the ****e out of Henry, he did not look like a man who wanted to join Barcelona.

I believe Henry would have stayed if assured Arsenal could kick on from the CL final defeat but we preferred to cash in.

Keplaz

I've just watched this on BT Sports Movies, Rocky and Wrighty from Brockley to the Big time. And it's very well made. Gives you an inside track into both men and why both are Arsenal legends but were very different people.

It also gets really emotional at the end.

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

van-Nistelrooy-keown.jpg

One of my favourite football images of all time. That schadenfreude was exactly how millions of gooners all over the world felt when that cheat missed.

I saw that game in a pub in Norway, where as usual, we were outnumbered 10 to 1 by United fans. When the cheat missed, I am sure my face looked pretty much like Keown's.

True connection between the player and the fans.

Top Bottom