Arsenal Mediawatch

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Keplaz, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Emeryates

Emeryates Just Here For Heccy

The media loved Wenger.

2. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Nah, there was always something they poked him with.

Look at “top 4”? He got murdered for it for 10 years but today “getting top 4” isn’t something the media will bash you about.

3. FreakySami

FreakySami Well-Known Member

I think when Hillwood was there, he used to try and help protect a bit Wenger because he knew of the importance media had on the team. However since he left, gazidis has done a terrible job of helping the team and Wenger with this. His lack of involvement allowed idiots to make disrespectful acts the past few session towards the club.

4. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Top 4 is celebrated today, unless you’re Wenger.

5. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

That's one of the biggest clues out there some had it in for Wenger and/or Arsenal. When Wenger said it was tough and slowly becoming an achievement reaching top 4 consistently with the rise of Chelsea, then City, then more and more clubs coming into money, he was ridiculed as a loser trying to downplay Arsenal's shortcomings. Tottenham and Liverpool, although on seeming upward trajectories, win **** but get top 4, and suddenly the much ridiculed "top 4 trophy" becomes a thing to acknowledge. Same with the Cup. When Arsenal win it 3 out of 4 times, it's something anyone can do and the Scum or 'pool failing to do so is apologized by the Cup being some sort of second tier trophy. Another club wins it it's a masterclass. ****ing bias.

6. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Not only that but the media make excuses for Poch not winning trophies, yet that was all that was talked about during our barren run when we had absolutely **** all to spend on transfers.

krengon, Mark Tobias, ThlRama and 5 others like this.
  7. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

The media twisted the statement from the first. Wenger said it was "like" a trophy, not a trophy. If another foreigner had said it they might have gone with his command of English not being perfect but they chose to ignore that in this case.

8. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

I'm sorry I have to quote myself here, but the thing is, you don't even have to overstate things as much as english media/pundits do.

Looking at Klopp's time at Liverpool, 8th but an EL final, no cups but back in CL as 4th, then 4th again plus a CL final along their wicked attacking play is a nice enough achievement you can approve of and acknowledge, and there's enough "upwards trajectory" to recognize. But for some reason they feel like they have to magnify this stuff, make it even bigger than it actually already is. I know there's some posters on here who say Klopp is **** and underachieving, but I think it's all fair enough. But the medie make them into some kind of superclub.
    Same with Spuds. Them doing good gets spun into them being just marginally off being the greatest ever english team. It's just baffling.

It's not like you have to deride these clubs or downplay what they've done in the last season. It's all good an fair and well earned - they have done some good things. And this would be the appropriate measure of applause. But they always have to put one on top for some reason, make it look grander than it is, although it's already very good.

9. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

10. CanadianGooner1608

CanadianGooner1608 Well-Known Member

These are the stupidest article I have read in a while... to paraphrase it:
    Journalist: "Highbury was a no-go zone, it was all white"
    - "but did you ever go?"
    - "No"
    - "And how old were you when you decided that?"
    - " 'bout 7"

Far as i remember, Arsenal fans I met had the most diverse ethnical backgrounds. Club had an appeal to everyone, no matter their culture.
    Garbage article.

11. Ricardinho

The fanbase has always been one of the most welcoming whereas other London clubs such as Chelsea had huge racism problems.

12. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

Rubbish article. With the Windrush generation settling in large numbers in Finsbury Park, we've always had a lot of black fans and Wenger made us a very cosmopolitan club. Even Jose mentioned it a few years back. Maybe the writer was watching Fleetwood-they wear the same colours. Weirdo.

13. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

This also goes for the rest of the world. We have a massive amount of black people here who support Arsenal. All the way from here to Cairo in fact! And it is in part due to so many successful African players Wenger has had.

14. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado

At least Crossy never uses *___*.

15. Ricardinho

A good read:

16. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

CanadianGooner1608 likes this.
  17. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Merson is a w@nker... I liked it better when he was on the verge of giving blowies for blow.

celestis, Batman and krackpot like this.
  18. Tosker

Tosker Hates Foreigners

I don't really know what this is about, but I am taking it as an answer to Merson's nonsense

19. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

This is serious rubbish, we have always had a massive black fanbase .

krackpot and CanadianGooner1608 like this.
  20. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Media at it again, so it wasn't anti-Wenger but anti-Arsenal. Shearer doesn't see us as top four material but does see Manu. What is he seeing in their play that the rest of the world isn't?