• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Pre-Season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

Like I said, I'd still rather see these guys than some of the seniors, whether they are ready or not IMO. At least until we're in a position to buy and get rid.

It's just a personal thing for me right now, I'm far more excited to see the younger players even when they play badly right now. I've seen enough of our regular first team play sh*t. Whatever the outcome, I want to see them given more of a chance. Not even throwing blame upon Emery yet, the season hasn't started. He obviously still has to keep this squad happy, objectively speaking. Not much he can do about the backline either.

Mostly I'm just frustrated - most of the time feels like it's just me and Hydro holding the fort while everyone's doubting :lol:
To be fair, you know a lot more about these guys that I (and most others) do. I'm just going on what I've seen in preseason, it's not really a fair analysis but it's all I've got right now.

And I can understand the frustration with the first team well enough... I really hope we can get these additional signings over the line.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
For the people who think the youngsters aren't ready, could you please explain why? Because if we're judging players from this tour, Xhaka, Mhki, Kolasinac and Mustafi are not 'ready'.
There is the third option of buying some senior players... we are a big club adding not one senor player to the squad for next season as of today.

Manberg

Predator
Most of our young players are attackers so how can you say they will outperform them? Think about what you’re saying.

Nelson isn’t outperforming Auba on the right. Eddie isn’t outperforming Lacazette at striker. Saka outperforms any of our left wing options but we need to bloody sign a senior one.

Willock like I keep saying is ready and should start over Xhaka.

Other than that no youngster makes it in ahead of the seniors. We don’t have a young left back, we don’t have a young CB currently good enough, we don’t have a young right back.

I think Eddie can do a better job than Lacazette.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

If you truly believe that then there’s no hope.

Eddie is a good finisher and battles hard but that seems to be literally it. You wouldn’t find him flicking a pass through like Laca did to Auba today.

Eddie is a good understudy to Lacazette while Aubameyang is on the right.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
To be fair, you know a lot more about these guys that I (and most others) do. I'm just going on what I've seen in preseason, it's not really a fair analysis but it's all I've got right now.

And I can understand the frustration with the first team well enough... I really hope we can get these additional signings over the line.
Think some of them just need to get into a groove a little bit. They bring us speed and dynamism particularly in wide areas - something we don't have unless we're shunting Auba out there. Auba has impressed me on the right to be fair, but I would like to see Nelson/Saka/Nketiah used from the bench a bit more, perhaps earlier in some cases (today they came on too late but I reckon just fitness stuff for pre-season).

I think they are more ready than people are willing to give them credit because it's customary to downplay our youngsters given how many of them have not worked out lately. I think it's far better to believe in them and support giving them chances. They were good today when they came off the bench (and Willock was good from the start). A couple of difficult moments (Some of Nelson's final passes and Nketiah's 2 missed chances) but they were all encouraging moments for me. They can make an impact IMO, far greater than people realize.

blaze_of_glory

Yeah fair points, perhaps I have a bit too much faith in the youth but I'd think Saka, Willock and Eddie could all play a fair amount of minutes and we won't feel the qualify drop.

Infact I'd daresay Saka would be better than Mkhi for example, but then a season really exposes how consistent a player is and all of them are untested regarding this aspect so far.

How would you line up midfield, I'm in two minds, whether if Ceballos comes he should replace Özil or replace Xhaka, I'm leaning towards the latter tbh.
Hard to say re: the midfield as I've not seen Ceballos play. That said, he's almost certainly being brought in to start regularly. But I"m not even clear what set up Emery wants this year. I keep hearing he likes 4231 but we never seem to play it. Competition for midfield places is going to be very tight, but we'll likely see Özil on the bench for a lot of away games again so Ceballos may come into his place then. And Özil may be used as a wider (but not very wide) mid in 4222 as well. Xhaka for all his faults seems to get played practically every game so I'm not sure he'll be dropped very often.

So basically I dunno :lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Ehhhh depends what you want. Eddie does have a pretty rounded game and has a speed advantage - I think in some dead rubber games where you don't want to risk Laca then yes absolutely. Laca has more presence as a player who can bring others into play - something Eddie can do but not quite to Laca's level at this point in his career. I think we will lose very little with Eddie in there - not sure about a better job, wait till he gets a bit more games under his belt.

FWIW, I think Eddie would do fine starting more games, but I wouldn't throw Laca under the bus to praise Eddie. As good as I believe him to be, he's just unlucky to be behind 2 very good strikers. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be giving him games though - Welbeck got quite a few minutes last season before he broke his ankle.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
If you truly believe that then there’s no hope.

Eddie is a good finisher and battles hard but that seems to be literally it. You wouldn’t find him flicking a pass through like Laca did to Auba today.

Eddie is a good understudy to Lacazette while Aubameyang is on the right.

Should we accept Lacazette to be our Heskey.

Eeek.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I was at the match today, and Emery's decision to play Mkhi at CM to start the second half completely changed the match for the worse. Madrid completely dominated the midfield and we struggled to retain possession. Madrid scored their two goals during that time.

Willock played much better at CM than Mkhi, and then when Burton came on for Mkhi we looked a lot better too.

Not sure if Mustafi had an injury, but it is encouraging that Chambers played the entire match and Monreal looked okay at CB.

I honestly don't understand what Emery was thinking when he played Mkhi at CM. Really strange, and bad, decision.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I was at the match today, and Emery's decision to play Mkhi at CM to start the second half completely changed the match for the worse. Madrid completely dominated the midfield and we struggled to retain possession. Madrid scored their two goals during that time.

Willock played much better at CM than Mkhi, and then when Burton came on for Mkhi we looked a lot better too.

Not sure if Mustafi had an injury, but it is encouraging that Chambers played the entire match and Monreal looked okay at CB.

I honestly don't understand what Emery was thinking when he played Mkhi at CM. Really strange, and bad, decision.
He makes a lot of these baffling decisions. You could do that with PSG and sort of get away with it but in the Premier League...one bad lineup against Palace f*cked up our entire season.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He makes a lot of these baffling decisions. You could do that with PSG and sort of get away with it but in the Premier League...one bad lineup against Palace f*cked up our entire season.

We were sitting on a comfortable 2-0 lead, and Emery starts the second half basically without a midfield and Real had Kroos and Modric.

It was a bafflingly crazy decision. Just such a bad coach. It is only preseason, but we basically dropped two points today. And considering we lost on PKs, we actually lost three points.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

That game really was a game of 2 halves. I don't know what happened at 1/2 time but that was an absolutely absurd 2nd half, why do we just sit so deep in the 2nd half & let them have all the possession. We were up 2-0, why don't we play dynamic in the 2nd half & try putting the game to bed like we did early 1st half, does my head in Emery with his decisions sometimes.

When we did bring our younger guys on, they brought so much more energy & enthusiasm, we brought them on a fair bit too late & unfortunately I don't know how Martinelli didn't get on today, nor Leno though Martinez played really well. Nketiah is a good player & I'm willing to give him plenty of opportunities this year but he really should have got 1 of his 2 chances in I think.

Divided_Pie

Yeah fair points, perhaps I have a bit too much faith in the youth but I'd think Saka, Willock and Eddie could all play a fair amount of minutes and we won't feel the qualify drop.

Infact I'd daresay Saka would be better than Mkhi for example, but then a season really exposes how consistent a player is and all of them are untested regarding this aspect so far.

How would you line up midfield, I'm in two minds, whether if Ceballos comes he should replace Özil or replace Xhaka, I'm leaning towards the latter tbh.
Our reliance on Xhaka is the biggest problem in the team and it’s not even close

scytheavatar

Established Member

The goal of pre season games is not to win them..... now is the time to experiment with team lineups and tactics. And for guys like Mkhi to show they have more in their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom