• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,157,928

Tom9

Wrong. Not only was he very good at u23 level but he was also one of the most outstanding player in the u23, slowly building up very good form that gave him chance at Emirates Cup.

I know Iwobi his having his downs now according to some fans but lets not attack what he has achieve so far or what he achieved in u23.

Wrong. Maitland Niles, Wilock and Jeff all have performed better than him at U23 level. He was just lucky enough to be given an opportunity first and an opportunity which has lasted far too long. Not saying he is a bad player but his best case scenario at Arsenal is a squad player and better talents should be given development priority over him.

We've already lost one big talent (Gnabry) as a result of the game time we gave Iwobi.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

This comp makes Mavididi look f*cking amazing :lol:. I hadn't seen those other clips of him at Charlton - no wonder they liked him so much. Imagine if he had actually put those chances away. Mavididi is a much bigger deal than I ever thought.

What is it with YouTube compilations and trash techno? Awful stuff :lol:

Wrong. Maitland Niles, Wilock and Jeff all have performed better than him at U23 level. .

Niles went on loan to Champions league which was very well done for him, Willock has been standout player in academy just like Iwobi. Jeff has always shown more ability at senior level rather than in academy.

Even with those players doing better than Iwobi, Iwobi was still a standout player in the academy. Giving him chance had nothing to do with luck, he earned it. Playing as winger, then striker, then moved down to midfield after coaches saw his passing ability. Iwobi when he first broke through shown a very matured performances with everyone noticing on this forum. His achievements so far in u23 and at senior level has been brilliant.

And Iwobi game time has nothing to do with Gnabry departure. We managed to give Gnabry a premier league loan last season which went very badly. Then he got injured. And we wanted to keep him, he would probably be playing now for us, but he decided him self to leave.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
RE Iwobi:

While he did not have any particular standout attributes, he was still one of the most reliable and consistent performers at youth level and his high football intelligence is exactly why Wenger likes him so much. He got through not just because Wenger liked him but on merit too because in his last year as a full time U21 player he was already above that level.

Impact

Established Member
Think we need to be more realistic in this thread. Irrespective of how promising many of these players look, most won't make it at Arsenal. Only the cream will rise e.g. Bellerín.

RE Iwobi: He's a talented player but I haven't seen anything to suggest his ceiling is above being a squad player for a top 6 club.

Think we need to be more realistic in this thread. Irrespective of how promising many of these players look, most won't make it at Arsenal. Only the cream will rise e.g. Bellerín.

Yeah there is always one who needs to come with comments like these. Stating the obvious.

This is still one of the best group of youngsters in individual talent we have had since Wenger took over. These players have a lot of ability and huge potentials.

Of course not all of them are gonna make it because Arsenal can't give all of them chances they need to prove themselves.

Deathstroke

The Terminator
I'm a bit baffled that Arsène hasn't given significant game time to our youth this season. In years past, he would've looked to blood the likes of AMN, C. Willock & Mavididi with PL and possibly CL minutes.

Is this to do with them not quite being ready yet, or perhaps due to this season's increased difficulty in maintaining Top 4?

OSBK

Established Member
I'm a bit baffled that Arsène hasn't given significant game time to our youth this season. In years past, he would've looked to blood the likes of AMN, C. Willock & Mavididi with PL and possibly CL minutes.

Is this to do with them not quite being ready yet, or perhaps due to this season's increased difficulty in maintaining Top 4?

Pressure, wenger is more under the cosh than other seasons. If wenger plays the kids this season and it goes wrong then the backlash is huge.

Very similar to england where we as fans cry out for players and yet the same ol rubbish is picked. England players are selected on rep and name.

Preacher

Always Crying
Saw these quotes on twitter:
Andries Jonker said his time at Arsenal was hard work. Surprised at no competitive football until U18, yet "expected to train them as pros"

Jonker said English played friendlies until U18, making it difficult to understand & make progress: "I have found it hard to find my way."

Jonker on Wolfsburg's facilities "What we have here is even better. AFC has no mini-stadium, BMUN is now building one. Also Barca has less."

Impact

Established Member
Yeah there is always one who needs to come with comments like these. Stating the obvious.

This is still one of the best group of youngsters in individual talent we have had since Wenger took over. These players have a lot of ability and huge potentials.

Of course not all of them are gonna make it because Arsenal can't give all of them chances they need to prove themselves.

It's not stating the obvious when comments in the thread seem to indicate almost every talent is great and worthy of a chance.

If the players are good enough, they will play. Happened with Cesc, Hector, Jack, Iwobi and even Gibbs and Szczesny. Wenger isn't afraid to play young players if he feels they are capable.

Wenger isn't afraid to play young players if he feels they are capable.

Actually he has changed a lot in that regard lately. Which is shame because yes, we never have had stronger group of individuals talents in our academy.

You can just see the difference between players like Cesc, Wilshere and Szczesny. They got chances because they had talent. They got play time as youth because they got talent. Bellerin got his chance because of injuries. Same for Coquelin.

Today we have very big squad and Wenger rather go for keeping his fringe players happy with playing time then giving the youngsters chance.

Because we have bigger squad today than before.

"Giving youngsters a chance" is slowly becoming something that Arsenal don't do anymore and personally I can only link that to Wenger feeling the pressure.

Impact

Established Member
Actually he has changed a lot in that regard lately. Which is shame because yes, we never have had stronger group of individuals talents in our academy.

You can just see the difference between players like Cesc, Wilshere and Szczesny. They got chances because they had talent. They got play time as youth because they got talent. Bellerin got his chance because of injuries. Same for Coquelin.

Today we have very big squad and Wenger rather go for keeping his fringe players happy with playing time then giving the youngsters chance.

Wenger bought Debuchy for £12 million at 28/29 to replace Sagna because he knew Bellerín was about to breakthrough and didn't want a younger player blocking his path.

Coquelin is an exceptional case. He was given chances when he was younger and was deemed not good enough. After a few injuries, he came in as a stopgap and managed to prove his worth as a squad player.

Our academy players shouldn't be gifted first team places. They have to make the most of the chances in training, in the under 23's and on loan. If they are good enough, they will get chances. That is how it works at every top club in Europe. Wenger wouldn't sit on talent if he felt they were ready.

Tom9

Niles went on loan to Champions league which was very well done for him, Willock has been standout player in academy just like Iwobi. Jeff has always shown more ability at senior level rather than in academy.

Even with those players doing better than Iwobi, Iwobi was still a standout player in the academy. Giving him chance had nothing to do with luck, he earned it. Playing as winger, then striker, then moved down to midfield after coaches saw his passing ability. Iwobi when he first broke through shown a very matured performances with everyone noticing on this forum. His achievements so far in u23 and at senior level has been brilliant.

And Iwobi game time has nothing to do with Gnabry departure. We managed to give Gnabry a premier league loan last season which went very badly. Then he got injured. And we wanted to keep him, he would probably be playing now for us, but he decided him self to leave.

Maybe your idea and my idea of a standout player is worlds apart. For me a standout player is someone on Gnabry, Bellerin and Reiss Nelsons level. I haven't seen Iwobi put in anywhere near the same level of performance as Reiss Nelson did against Man City the other day. An Iwobi talent I have on the exact same level as Toral, someone who is too good for U23's but not good enough to be anymore than a squad player for a club that is the size of Arsenal. Which I don't think Toral would be do any worse than what Iwobi is given they both intelligent footballers and do the simple things well. However I would rather gamble on bigger talents who might not make it but have the bigger scope for improvement and can potentially one day be household names at this club. Than develops guys who might be more prepared for senior football at first but limited to where they can improve after setting into a squad position.

Which you might disagree with me but I consider Iwobi to not have much more improvement left in him given I don't see him being a strong powerful winger who can blast shots from outside the box like a Serge Gnabry and he doesn't have the ability to glide past players or send killer through balls like a young Wilshere. Which you can still become a good footballer despite not having those traits and other traits but generally speaking to survive at a big club you have to at least one standout attribute and Iwobi has yet to show his at any level.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom