• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,774
  • Views 1,157,221

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Chris Willock scored 2 for England U19s today v Belarus.

Eddie Nketiah, who had not been capped for England until a few days ago, scored a hattrick for England U18s. That's 4 goals in 2 appearances for them. The stat I read on Nketiah on twitter: 47 goals in 60 appearances in all comps since last season.

Chris Willock scored 2 for England U19s today v Belarus.

Eddie Nketiah, who had not been capped for England until a few days ago, scored a hattrick for England U18s. That's 4 goals in 2 appearances for them. The stat I read on Nketiah on twitter: 47 goals in 60 appearances in all comps since last season.

How is Nketiah progressing physically? And where do you see him in the future.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
How is Nketiah progressing physically? And where do you see him in the future.
He's showing good strength lately, particularly in one U23 match I saw a month ago.

Not sure where he goes in the future - he's got a vastly similar record to Benik Afobe, who was also a more physical player. Nketiah has got the movement and seems to be a versatile finisher, but he also has a very good all-round game. Taking that into consideration, he has a good chance. It's tough to call, as it is with most of our young players. When it comes to who I think will certainly breakthrough, AMN and Nelson corner that market. It's gonna be a bit difficult for the others behind them, and that includes the 3 strikers - Mavididi, Malen and Nketiah himself.

mm76

Yer Da

whisper it but this is the man - Wenger has to go before he messes up this guy's future with the club because trust me, if he gets played sporadically, out of position in the wrong setup, we'll lose him and face seeing him create or score goal after goal against us in the future

BobP

Memri Fan
He's showing good strength lately, particularly in one U23 match I saw a month ago.

Not sure where he goes in the future - he's got a vastly similar record to Benik Afobe, who was also a more physical player. Nketiah has got the movement and seems to be a versatile finisher, but he also has a very good all-round game. Taking that into consideration, he has a good chance. It's tough to call, as it is with most of our young players. When it comes to who I think will certainly breakthrough, AMN and Nelson corner that market. It's gonna be a bit difficult for the others behind them, and that includes the 3 strikers - Mavididi, Malen and Nketiah himself.

If he relies on things other than his physicality and speed to score goals, there is most definitely a player in there.

fawgunner

whisper it but this is the man - Wenger has to go before he messes up this guy's future with the club because trust me, if he gets played sporadically, out of position in the wrong setup, we'll lose him and face seeing him create or score goal after goal against us in the future

if Arsène can do one thing properly, that is bring a youngster through intelligently. Wenger will mess up his future? what are you high on? this is baseless wenger hate just for the sake of it.

mm76

Yer Da
if Arsène can do one thing properly, that is bring a youngster through intelligently. Wenger will mess up his future? what are you high on? this is baseless wenger hate just for the sake of it.

exhibit A - Walcott - never developed in a disciplined wa to reach his full potential

Exhibit B - Ox - likewise

Exhibit C - Wilshere - career curtailed heavily through Wenger's injury-prone training regime

Exhibit D - Reine Adelaide - clearly let loose on the first team without a clue on what he's supposed to be doing

Exhibit E - AMN - likewise

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If there's anything that Wenger knows how to do, it's integrating technically proficient attacking midfielders with good combination play :lol:. I'd expect Nelson and Willock to both look comfortable in our 1st team due to that. It's the other types of players I'd be more worried about.

AMN will survive simply because he appears to be an observant and tactically astute player on his own, and I've seen signs of this in Nelson aswell.

Impact

Established Member

Said this in another thread but will say it again here. Wenger is overrated when it comes to nurturing young talent. His record is average at best. Where Wenger excels is giving young talents an opportunity and confidence. That's why most of our young players look great in their initial forays in the first team.

Where Wenger struggles is in micromanaging a player in order to develop their game further. This often leads to once promising talents stalling as they are not given the requisite instruction on how to improve.

Last edited:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Willock won't make it here I don't think, guy seems soft.

He's 19 now, our youngsters who've made it here have all been first teamers at his age.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

He's 19 now, our youngsters who've made it here have all been first teamers at his age.
Chris Willock and his brother Joe are both out of contract this summer, and it looks like they will leave. My guess is that neither feel they will get the opportunities.

It would be a huge loss IMO, they are both big talents, definitely among our top technical talents that we have produced since 01.

Impact

Established Member

Strange one with Willock as Wenger clearly rates him. Been involved with the first team since he was 16.

Our squad is much bigger now than in past. Might play into him not getting chances.

Looking at the playing time Perez has got this season you can help but feel that playing time would be better served for one of our talented youngsters.

Impact

Established Member
Not really. I can't imagine Willock or anyone else would have put up 7 goals and 6 assists given Lucas' minutes.

Impact

Established Member
I got that. I'm saying that in the game time Lucas has got, he has served Arsenal better than any of young forwards are likely to have done.

Yes, the game time would have furthered their development but Arsenal's on-the-field results should come before academy players getting game time to develop in the first team.

I got that. I'm saying that in the game time Lucas has got, he has served Arsenal better than any of young forwards are likely to have done.

Yes, the game time would have furthered their development but Arsenal's on-the-field results should come before academy players getting game time to develop in the first team.

I like Perez and although neither you and me know if any youngster would have done better or not he has been wasted here. The game time he has got would have been better served looking at youngsters.

Arsenal on-the-field results are also linked for us to be able to find future players. That only happens if we give them chance.

And that has been problem for last 2-3 years. This season only Maitland-Niles and Jeff have got sniff at game time this season and that just bare minimum. We have so many fringe players that are ****, that I personally would give some youngsters a chance in those rare game time over them.

Top Bottom