• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,156,006

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
No mention of Chris Willock. Guess he is gone this summer.
Looks like it. Fortunately it is a position where we are well stocked with talent even at academy level - but Chris Willock is such a major technical talent that it's a huge blow for Arsenal. If he is leaving, there's a strong chance his little bro could be going too, and that is another major blow - particularly if we lose them to PL rivals.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm very excited. Do you also feel that these two have better chances than usual to make it? The attitude and talent is there.
They have the technical skill, the work rate, the attitude and the tactical awareness. Nelson is scoring more goals too. He's an all-round attacking threat. Maitland-Niles shows he has the smarts and the energy to really energise our central midfield. Very exciting times IMO, and there's a couple more who could easily find their way into Wenger's plans. For Nelson in particular, it was just a matter of time. He became the most consistent performing attacking player for the U23s at 16 years old. He's already better than that level.

Looks like it. Fortunately it is a position where we are well stocked with talent even at academy level - but Chris Willock is such a major technical talent that it's a huge blow for Arsenal. If he is leaving, there's a strong chance his little bro could be going too, and that is another major blow - particularly if we lose them to PL rivals.

Is Joe Willock's contract ending as well?
Surprising that we haven't heard Chris being linked with other clubs until now. Any chance his contract is still being negotiated or is he a goner for sure.

Last edited:

Impact

Established Member
Thoughts on Ben Sheaf and Krystian Bielik? I think both of them have the talent to make the first-team squad in the future.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Thoughts on Ben Sheaf and Krystian Bielik? I think both of them have the talent to make the first-team squad in the future.
Same here. Bielik is already highly thought of by fans but I think Sheaf is a similarly gifted talent, particularly his technical ability. Despite his previous stint as a midfielder, he seems to really enjoy defending aswell. Always was an underrated talent but he has since really improved. What is funny though is that I've heard him described as small but he's 6'1 lol.

Same here. Bielik is already highly thought of by fans but I think Sheaf is a similarly gifted talent, particularly his technical ability. Despite his previous stint as a midfielder, he seems to really enjoy defending aswell. Always was an underrated talent but he has since really improved. What is funny though is that I've heard him described as small but he's 6'1 lol.

Sheaf is Wenger player. Intelligent, high technical ability and can play few positions.

There is video of him winnig some tricks competition with the academy which Henry is directing.

Already warmed the bench last year in Carling Cup.

Is he vice captain in u-23?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Sheaf is Wenger player. Intelligent, high technical ability and can play few positions.

There is video of him winnig some tricks competition with the academy which Henry is directing.

Already warmed the bench last year in Carling Cup.

Is he vice captain in u-23?
Yeah, he usually captains the team when Bielik isn't in it.

I think his best position is actually defensive midfield but CB is a great development for him. I always thought he was more than decent at full-back too, probably better there than Maitland-Niles is.

Yeah, he usually captains the team when Bielik isn't in it.

I think his best position is actually defensive midfield but CB is a great development for him. I always thought he was more than decent at full-back too, probably better there than Maitland-Niles is.

You can see a common trait with those players who are on thr fringe of getting first team experience.

Iwobi and Maitland-Niles impress in numerous of positions, same for Sheaf and even Nelson showed last season he can play all attacking roles and also there was one game where he bossed as part of midfield two.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You can see a common trait with those players who are on thr fringe of getting first team experience.

Iwobi and Maitland-Niles impress in numerous of positions, same for Sheaf and even Nelson showed last season he can play all attacking roles and also there was one game where he bossed as part of midfield two.
Nelson seems to have a great tactical mind - two instances point to this. The first being in his interview earlier in the season he pointed out how much he enjoyed coaching despite being 16/17. The second was an U19 match I was watching between England and France. Not only did he win and score a penalty on his way to having a good game, but at various points, he was directing his fellow attackers into which passing lanes they should block, and where they should press. It was a small thing that most people probably wouldn't have noticed but I saw it and was intrigued by it.

And yeah, he's had some really good games in central midfield, although I think he's better served as an attacker. Interestingly, Jeff plays in the attacking midfield positions more often than not, but he's probably better in central midfield.

I agree though, all the players Wenger likes so far from the academy are virtually swiss army knives in terms of their abilities and how they can be used. Iwobi and Maitland-Niles are the best examples - they've played virtually every where bar CB. Sheaf has played in every position except CF and Nelson has played everywhere in midfield. I don't recall him playing upfront.

I see Willock is linked with shock move to Manchester City today... Also other clubs linked is Dortmund and Everton...

If he really ends up at City then it is pretty obvious that the money in the deal was issue with us and the kid is only thinking about quick money rather than getting into first team. Or at least I fail to see how he is gonna break into City team next season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I see Willock is linked with shock move to Manchester City today... Also other clubs linked is Dortmund and Everton...

If he really ends up at City then it is pretty obvious that the money in the deal was issue with us and the kid is only thinking about quick money rather than getting into first team. Or at least I fail to see how he is gonna break into City team next season.
Even Pat Roberts might struggle, and he's excellent.

Even Pat Roberts might struggle, and he's excellent.

I surely hope Willock goes to Dortmund, Celtic or Everton instead.

Feels like his agent wants money, but we are not ready to offer that money because we already have more faith in Nelson. I just hope Everton, Celtic or Dortmund are ready to offer some money because first team experience should be high on Willock list right now.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I surely hope Willock goes to Dortmund, Celtic or Everton instead.

Feels like his agent wants money, but we are not ready to offer that money because we already have more faith in Nelson. I just hope Everton, Celtic or Dortmund are ready to offer some money because first team experience should be high on Willock list right now.
Celtic or Everton would be great for him, should he leave. Everton would be a good segue-way to PL football - they are the team more than happy to give young players a chance of all the PL teams. Celtic would also be a good move, especially if Pat Roberts goes, they'll need someone with his guile.

Ideally, Willock would stay here, but he obviously doesn't think he'll get the game time - or the money - to justify a new contract. Dortmund is a shout but they are pretty stocked for attacking players. Still, he's talented enough to make a mark wherever he goes IMO, even Man City should they give him a chance (with Diaz, Sancho, the aforementioned Roberts, Foden, and Poveda to compete with behind him, and Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne and company ahead, it's gonna be a tad difficult).

Top Bottom