• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,157,752

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
It's strange that we have heard no news of a new head of our youth academy to replace the recently departed Andries Jonker. Do you think we will promote internally for this position? I haven't heard us being linked with anyone which is strange because at this stage you would think they would have lined someone up already.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Few players to watch as they crossed my mind this evening.

All the talk about the Willocks and Dragomir, that I completely forgot about Trae Coyle. Keep your eyes peeled, he is a very technical player with skill and scores goals. Plays anywhere in attack and can play in central midfield.

Josh DaSilva is another one. He's big, powerful and a good technician. Seems to be highly rated. Both he and Marcus McGuane are promising. McGuane is slightly better at ball winning.

Also want to see how Charlie Gilmour and Emile Smith-Rowe develop. But I think Coyle is the stand out. I can see him being one of our best performers at youth level next season.

lazyfreak

@MutableEarth can you elaborate on this. Taken out of the rumours section. Has Bielik been converted and was that a good decision?
That's old news. He even went out on loan to Birmingham as a CB and did quite well.

Even Ben Sheaf has been converted to a CB. Hopefully though that's only part of his education and is still seen as a CM, specifically a DLP/DM. Rate him higher than Maitland-Niles who seems to be overhyped a bit. I'd be surprised if he makes it at the club as a CB. Chambers and Holding are still young and then you also have Bielik, all in front of him. Were also not known for bringing through CB's.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth

Any idea how Isaac Hayden's doing under Benitez?

Both him and Gnabry seem like they had really good seasons.
Hayden seems to have flourished as a DM under Benitez. Not caught much of his games but whenever I saw them play, he looked solid, composed on the ball and played intelligently. Odd rash tackle.

@MutableEarth can you elaborate on this. Taken out of the rumours section. Has Bielik been converted and was that a good decision?

Yeah, this development occurred a while ago. He's looked more comfortable there of late alongside Sheaf. Went to Birmingham on loan and did well at CB in the Championship too. Seems to be his main position now and I see no problem with it.

That's old news. He even went out on loan to Birmingham as a CB and did quite well.

Even Ben Sheaf has been converted to a CB. Hopefully though that's only part of his education and is still seen as a CM, specifically a DLP/DM. Rate him higher than Maitland-Niles who seems to be overhyped a bit. I'd be surprised if he makes it at the club as a CB. Chambers and Holding are still young and then you also have Bielik, all in front of him. Were also not known for bringing through CB's.

I think it can be argued that Sheaf is a better technician than AMN is. AMN is as good an all rounder as you will get IMO but Sheaf definitely could still have a future in midfield. He kinda reminds me of Jonjo Shelvey at the same age. Tall, great technique, B2B engine. Neat dribbler too. He seems to have taken to CB really well on the other hand. Seems to enjoy defending and he has more room for his passing range to come to the fore. I'd still be intrigued to see him back in midfield. If he were to leave Arsenal, I'd wager that most teams would play him at CM, such is his technical skills.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I like that he's going abroad. Good luck to him.
Yeah, think it's a good move if true. Benfica has a great system IMO. Could prove to be a progressive career decision and his style of play could thrive in another league.

For us, it's a blow - especially if we also lose his brother - but I think we still have our best talent in Reiss Nelson, as well as the likes of Smith Rowe and Coyle. In terms of overseas talents, there's Jeff, Fortune, Dragomir....

Losing the Willocks' is a big blow but one I expect to be softened by the young talents we still have.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, think it's a good move if true. Benfica has a great system IMO. Could prove to be a progressive career decision and his style of play could thrive in another league.

For us, it's a blow - especially if we also lose his brother - but I think we still have our best talent in Reiss Nelson, as well as the likes of Smith Rowe and Coyle. In terms of overseas talents, there's Jeff, Fortune, Dragomir....

Losing the Willocks' is a big blow but one I expect to be softened by the young talents we still have.

Think it's the best decision for him tbh, don't think he would have got a chance here and I was a bit worried he'd be stuck in the championship or lower. I liked him, but he didn't get a lot of chances to prove himself and the few chances he got he was a bit disappointing(too weak especially).

Reiss Nelson is the only one I'm sure will get a chance in the first team, he's a talent on the level of Wilshere, you just know he'll be special.

With our summer window looking to be disappointing(for me), I'm hoping one of the youngsters(striker ideally) take a major step up and can prove their talent. Sometimes all you need is a chance, just like Mbappe and Rashford got.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Think it's the best decision for him tbh, don't think he would have got a chance here and I was a bit worried he'd be stuck in the championship or lower. I liked him, but he didn't get a lot of chances to prove himself and the few chances he got he was a bit disappointing(too weak especially).

Reiss Nelson is the only one I'm sure will get a chance in the first team, he's a talent on the level of Wilshere, you just know he'll be special.

With our summer window looking to be disappointing(for me), I'm hoping one of the youngsters(striker ideally) take a major step up and can prove their talent. Sometimes all you need is a chance, just like Mbappe and Rashford got.
Yeah. I think Mavididi has a big chance to make a mark. He is underrated quite a bit, especially compared to Nketiah and Malen who are both seen as more talented. Know a few fans who would rather give one of them a place rather than sign Lacazette :lol:.

It's not something I would be opposed to as I've long championed more opportunities for the academy, especially considering Arsène wishes to grow his own first team XI ideally.

Yeah. I think Mavididi has a big chance to make a mark. He is underrated quite a bit, especially compared to Nketiah and Malen who are both seen as more talented. Know a few fans who would rather give one of them a place rather than sign Lacazette :lol:.

It's not something I would be opposed to as I've long championed more opportunities for the academy, especially considering Arséne wishes to grow his own first team XI ideally.

After that dribble/s from Mavidi at Charlton I think he is frontrunner in making it from our young strikers...

The injury couldnt have come at worse time.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
https://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/...uad-for-u19-euros-but-chris-willock-left-out/

So Josh DaSilva is a surprise inclusion for the U19 Euro tournament, while Chris Willock is a (massive) surprise omission. I assume that this is so he can finalize a move elsewhere.

This is decent for DaSilva, who is highly rated within the club. He's a big player (6'2), with a good technical base. I don't know that much else about him other than he used to be a striker and he's got an excellent passing range from what I've seen of him. He's primarily a CM, but he's very versatile.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Isn't his style of play similar to JET?
Kind of. JET was unique in that he was progressively moved forward from defence - and discovered his calling as a striker instead. He was an underrated finisher. Where they are similar is in physique and technical ability - JET more of a dribbler, DaSilva more of a passer. Plus, DaSilva has been moved backwards, as he had always been a striker/winger.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20161206/josh-dasilva

Andries Jonker spoke to me and explained that they had seen me play in midfield for the under- 16s and also the way I made chances for others when up front, he felt that?I had potential as a midfielder.

It was a position that I needed?to get reacquainted with, and I’m thankful that Thierry Henry spent?a lot of time working with me. He explained I had to concentrate on getting the basics right, like tackling, passing and positioning and then my natural style will come out.?He emphasised playing quickly.

I’ve also done a lot of training with Steve Gatting and Carl Laraman with the under-23s which has helped me, and while it felt weird at first, I’m now fully comfortable in midfield and able to be myself.

I try to watch and learn from Santi Carzorla, but a lot of what he is able to do is because of his low centre of gravity. I’m almost six ft two, so I take what I can from him, but also other tall strong central midfielders like Yaya Toure and Paul Pogba. I use
my power and strength but also technique to try to make opportunities for the team and arrive in the box to score goals too. I have my defensive duties too, but playing slightly in advance of the holding midfielder is my usual position.

I really enjoy training games and playing alongside Francis Coquelin. He has helped me a lot. He trains with the same passion that he plays and he is very vocal, which has made me more effective in the role.

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20161206/josh-dasilva#xYtR3wBQvmpf732R.99

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup
Top Bottom