• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,157,683

Crocrodile

The youth setup is oozing with talent, some potential cracking players in there.
Probably my most favorite part of football, getting one of your own to shine under the bright lights of professional football venues. So organic, one of the rare things where the process of creating your own team feels so organic and satisfying.

Anyways, we have a lot of guys to keep tabs on. It could almost lead you to believe that we need no transfers incoming. I would be in agreement with that if we were to actually make a full rebuild. Now, with the situation we have, Nketiah and Nelson are 1st team players. Sheaf, DaSilva, Mavropanos, Willock are knocking on the door, Jeff should be also knocking on the door, Mavididi is on loan. We have younger guys who shouldn't be as successful playing in older categories but they are. John Jules, Emile Smith-Rowe, Osei-Tutu...

Huge number of players, top-heavy, but the biggest problem will be getting them gametime. The problem with Englishmen is that they do not go abroad, big mistake. English leagues are too focused on physicality and in the process break a lot of them or force youngsters to revert habits, such as avoiding their weak foot and such. IMO in French, Spanish, Bundesliga, even the Croatian league IMO our youngsters benefit from a higher technicality, lesser agressiveness and better quality of football than orc-leagues of England. Securing great opportunities for those who do not make it outright, cause there is a lot of talent there.

To end this longer post, I have a picture that summarizes what Wenger does to youngsters in recent times. Under a more tactically adept coach that can coach defense and pressing, I think our players can reach incredible heights. This is Josh DaSilva on being played in an unnatural position. "I was so scared, because I played in an unnatural position, I just wanted to embrace the moment". That's what it comes down to, no need to make it harder for the youngsters.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐

Smith Rowe with our first goal at the moment.
Consider the fact that we could have had Bellerin, AMN, Nketiah, Iwobi (and Akpom) in that lineup who are now a part of the first team, and Willock who left for Benfica as well, and we still have a massive bunch of hugely impressive and promising youngsters performing very well.

Plegezuelo, Bielik, MacGuane, Zelalem, Fortune, Sheaf, Mavididi, Kelechi Nwakali all weren't playing either.

Donyell Malen and Crowley sold too.

Insanity - I might even have missed a couple.

Really hope we change our transfer policy properly and go for top top class signings (like Wenger always have, mind ;)) and then allow these youngsters to get chances and patience while developing into squad players and starters.

GoonerBoy19

Sun have an article today that we could loose Marcus McGuanne to Barca. It will be shameful as he could have been a first team player here.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'm a bit confused by the McGuane stuff. For a while now I've heard him linked to some massive clubs so you'd think he's an elite level talent, but then I don't hear much about him pulling up trees in youth games? Is he an elite level talent that we're just not playing for some reason? I'm not an expert.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm a bit confused by the McGuane stuff. For a while now I've heard him linked to some massive clubs so you'd think he's an elite level talent, but then I don't hear much about him pulling up trees in youth games? Is he an elite level talent that we're just not playing for some reason? I'm not an expert.
He's quite an unspectacular player, but he's great at reading the game and clean technically. He could do well at a number of teams if given a chance. He has his work cut out here because of the growing emergence of Willock, DaSilva and others. Smith-Rowe is normally a winger/striker, but he gave such an immense and encouraging performance yesterday that I have to think they're considering converting him. McGuane is the guy that gives 7/10s most of the time - solid, neat, resilient. I speculate that the thinking is there is more potential for dominant performances from the likes of Willock and Dasilva, as well as AMN who is pretty much a first teamer now.

McGuane is still a talent but he may be a casualty of how much talent we currently have at that level now. I've said before that he'll still have a really good career regardless. I'd like us to keep him but it's unrealistic when academy players have trouble becoming first team regulars, and a bunch of them are already playing ahead of him in his position.

Crocrodile

That Smith Rowe strike feels similar to Asensio's strikes for Real.
Those types don't go in always, but when they do, a sight to behold.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Interesting that more young talents in English academies are moving abroad though. Hopefully he comes good there.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Was it not unwise to have included him in the 'Magnificent Seven' thing if he's leaving literally a few days later? Makes them look a bit silly.
Very unwise especially considering Wenger never mentioned him as one of the guys he wanted to bring through in his programme notes. Smith-Rowe probably would have been a better choice.

Mcguane is off to Barca. @MutableEarth how much of a loss is this?
A big one considering he is a Hale Ender and been there since he was 6. He is a solid talent too. Ultimately we have at least 4 other midfielders that now have more opportunity who are as talented as he was, but take nothing away - McGuane is a rated player and he will probably do very well.

Expecting more to leave also. Our academy is filled with talent and we are not given enough chances. Nelson contract situation for example is entering a danger zone for us.

You have to wonder if you are talent at Arsenal and you are constantly ignored on a cost of the likes of Mertesacker, Elneny and Welbeck if there is a room for you here.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You have to wonder if you are talent at Arsenal and you are constantly ignored on a cost of the likes of Mertesacker, Elneny and Welbeck if there is a room for you here.
In Mertesacker's case, he's on borrowed time. His place will become vacant at the end of the season - while you have to think Elneny and Welbeck will be casualties of another clearout this summer. Places will be up for grabs if the youngsters are patient enough and focus when given opportunities. While we should give them chances, they must take them also.

Expecting more to leave also. Our academy is filled with talent and we are not given enough chances. Nelson contract situation for example is entering a danger zone for us.

Agreed - I still think he'll eventually sign. He's played 12 games this season. He might be looking at Sancho with a wry smile due to his friend's emergence as a starter for one of the top Bundesliga teams, but I think if he continues to work diligently, he can work his way into an Arsenal team that lacks what he possesses.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom