• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,155,739

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth

Do you have ArsenalTV?

https://www.arsenal.com/news/you-scratch-surface-and-he-just-goes-deeper

At 6.30 Ivan talks about how Unai goes in to detail on Maitland-Niles - so promising to hear how it looks like our academy prospects are going to get a real go under this gaffer.
Easy to see why AMN is rated. Perfect base for a footballer - athletic, good physical potential, good all-round technique and relatively intelligent despite his lack of concentration. I feel like just that added focus will bring out so much more in him.

He has a whole team to pick from really from the U23s. I don't see any of the U18s making their way into first team football just yet i.e. Balogun, John-Jules, Saka etc - could argue Amaechi as he's already an U23 regular now with a stellar tournament showing under his belt; as well as Smith-Rowe after a steep rise in development this year but that's it IMO. We'll have a pretty full squad for pre-season, given that we have hardly any representatives at the WC but I can still see the likes of Nelson, AMN, Jeff, Nketiah, Willock, Smith-Rowe and Amaechi seeing some sort of game time.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Easy to see why AMN is rated. Perfect base for a footballer - athletic, good physical potential, good all-round technique and relatively intelligent despite his lack of concentration. I feel like just that added focus will bring out so much more in him.

He has a whole team to pick from really from the U23s. I don't see any of the U18s making their way into first team football just yet i.e. Balogun, John-Jules, Saka etc - could argue Amaechi as he's already an U23 regular now with a stellar tournament showing under his belt; as well as Smith-Rowe after a steep rise in development this year but that's it IMO. We'll have a pretty full squad for pre-season, given that we have hardly any representatives at the WC but I can still see the likes of Nelson, AMN, Jeff, Nketiah, Willock, Smith-Rowe and Amaechi seeing some sort of game time.

Only two things holding him back I feel .

Carlo Marx

Used to be the Voice of Reason, now raging
Edit: original tweet deleted. Article here on Nwakali getting called up to the Nigerian squad for the World Cup:
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/05/2...ter-dazzling-against-atletico-madrid-reports/

"Unconfirmed reports has it that his display against Atletico Madrid prompted coach Gernot Rohr to add him to his squad as part of the process of integrating him into the team for their post World Cup commitments."

Reading between the lines, this may depend on there being an injury dropout from the main squad. Not sure he'll go, but he would be our youngest player at the WC by some distance if does, linking up with Iwobi. Exciting.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Edit: original tweet deleted. Article here on Nwakali getting called up to the Nigerian squad for the World Cup:
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/05/2...ter-dazzling-against-atletico-madrid-reports/

"Unconfirmed reports has it that his display against Atletico Madrid prompted coach Gernot Rohr to add him to his squad as part of the process of integrating him into the team for their post World Cup commitments."

Reading between the lines, this may depend on there being an injury dropout from the main squad. Not sure he'll go, but he would be our youngest player at the WC by some distance if does, linking up with Iwobi. Exciting.

What's also good about these international call-ups for him is that it should expedite the process of getting him a UK work permit, meaning he should hopefully avoid the fate of Wellington Silva: the dreaded perma-loan.

Impact

Established Member

The potential in our Academy is at the highest it has ever been. I recall Gazidis stating that our intention was to produce a player for the first team every two years, but I think with this current generation we could do even better.

Interestingly, I don't see what people see in Willock. Yet to see why he is deemed special though I concede he looks like he has good physical potential.

Next season I hope to see Maitland-Niles and Nelson establish themselves as bonafide squad options in their favoured positions. I talk up Nelson a lot and for me, I think he has every bit (and maybe more) of the talent that his contemporary, Jadon Sancho has been expressing at Dortmund. Any news on his contract?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The potential in our Academy is at the highest it has ever been. I recall Gazidis stating that our intention was to produce a player for the first team every two years, but I think with this current generation we could do even better.

Interestingly, I don't see what people see in Willock. Yet to see why he is deemed special though I concede he looks like he has good physical potential.

Next season I hope to see Maitland-Niles and Nelson establish themselves as bonafide squad options in their favoured positions. I talk up Nelson a lot and for me, I think he has every bit (and maybe more) of the talent that his contemporary, Jadon Sancho has been expressing at Dortmund. Any news on his contract?
Willock has that knack of making smarter decisions than his level of experience would suggest. It's a good trait to have. Think with more confidence he can potentially dominate games but that depends on his development next season. Might be harder for him with a new manager.

I agree though, we've got a very good batch at the moment and more potential stars at one time than we had before. It will still be difficult for them but I think it is definitely possible for a good bunch of them to make the step up here.

RE Nelson, I think Sancho is just a bit ahead of Nelson but they are definitely comparable talents, will just take Nelson a little longer to acclimatize than I thought. There's been no news on his contract but he is expected to sign it.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
I would personally send Nelson and Eddie out on loan. Nelson goes to Ajax and Eddie goes to some Bundesliga club like Bremen or Gladbach.

Willock has that knack of making smarter decisions than his level of experience would suggest. It's a good trait to have. Think with more confidence he can potentially dominate games but that depends on his development next season. Might be harder for him with a new manager.

Been seen this season when Willock plays games and then he is not playing next game, you see the midfields drop a level or two. This could be seen both at u-23 and u England teams he played for.

Not to forget also, that he took a jump from u-18 football last season to where he is now, to be one of stars in u-23 premier league winning team and getting a bunch of chances at senior levels. That is impressive and testament to his ability as a footballer.

His strengths imo is his versatility, passing ability, he is compactive and has improve massively on the defense side of the game! He can do the basics both in attack and defense and is very solid modern all-around footballer!

Crocrodile

All I can say is that I am incredibly excited to see our youngsters in action both in preseason and in-season.

Iwobi needs to find the killer instinct. The physical component of his game is there, he just needs to go at people and fulfill the genetic potential given to him, which he displayed here in brief moments. However, in the NT he seems to play much better, so we know something is there.

AMN, Nketiah, Nelson, Mavropanos are all IMO set up to take on bigger roles and are in Unai's plans probably. A guy who set out to play against Real with Kipbembe, Lo Celso and Berchiche will have no problem starting younger players in European and Cup games.

Holding and Willock are with the senior squad, however they 'll need to work on their status. DaSilva, Smith-Rowe, Amaechi, Osei-Tutu and others have played well enough to warrant a call to the preseason tour. At least to the game vs Boreham Wood.

That 's just me reminding myself of how enthused I am with the manager we chose to get ( wanted him at Arsenal for almost 10 yrs ) and with the state of our academy.

Are Arsenal going to hold the Emirates Cup despite the WC year? We need every possible opportunity to evaluate the young talent we have.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
All I can say is that I am incredibly excited to see our youngsters in action both in preseason and in-season.

Iwobi needs to find the killer instinct. The physical component of his game is there, he just needs to go at people and fulfill the genetic potential given to him, which he displayed here in brief moments. However, in the NT he seems to play much better, so we know something is there.

AMN, Nketiah, Nelson, Mavropanos are all IMO set up to take on bigger roles and are in Unai's plans probably. A guy who set out to play against Real with Kipbembe, Lo Celso and Berchiche will have no problem starting younger players in European and Cup games.

Holding and Willock are with the senior squad, however they 'll need to work on their status. DaSilva, Smith-Rowe, Amaechi, Osei-Tutu and others have played well enough to warrant a call to the preseason tour. At least to the game vs Boreham Wood.

That 's just me reminding myself of how enthused I am with the manager we chose to get ( wanted him at Arsenal for almost 10 yrs ) and with the state of our academy.

Are Arsenal going to hold the Emirates Cup despite the WC year? We need every possible opportunity to evaluate the young talent we have.

No Emirates Cup this year. Apparently some work is being done at the stadium at that time.

I share your enthusiasm though. This is a great time for the younger players at Arsenal to show what they can do under a manager who will likely show just as much excitement at giving them opportunities as the previous manager. Might be harder for Willock, DaSilva and Osei-Tutu given there might be players signed in their position who will likely take some time away from them but they will at least have a chance to impress during preseason.

I think mainly of the players who have something to prove in areas where we are weak. Maitland-Niles definitely has a claim for more CM opportunities that he'll still have to work for. Smith-Rowe has proven himself a capable and versatile midfield player who can provide technique, athleticism and skill. But I'm most excited by Nelson and Amaechi because we have no players like them in the side.

Nelson has a bit of developing to do physically, probably because he's not confident enough using his body just yet, at least compared to his peer Nketiah, who seems to have no such problem - Nketiah has a lot more potential than people realize. But it is Amaechi - already reaching a good physical level, quicker than everyone bar PEA, and a natural dribbler - who could blaze a surprising trail next season. I think both Nelson and Amaechi have something to contribute next season if they treat preseason as a chance to get into the first team.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arsenal starting XI

Seaman, Lauren, Campbell, Upson, Winterburn, Petit, Parlour, Boa Morte, Limpar, Pires (c), Anelka.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Can see Robbie Burton becoming a regular alongside Gilmour at the heart of the U23 midfield next season. Robbie Burton did really good work this season and fought hard during the massacre in the Youth Cup Final so I'd imagine he'll do some more good work at U23 level. Seems like one of those players that sneaks into contention under the radar. He's got a fantastic pass on him.

Can't imagine Willock and DaSilva will stay down there too long before going on loans. Smith-Rowe likely the premier #10, while Dragomir does a shift outwide. Or could be vice versa. I reckon U23s could look like this next season:

Virginia
Daley-Campbell - Medley - Ballard - Thompson
Gilmour - Burton
Amaechi - Smith-Rowe - Dragomir
John-Jules
Seems the most plausible, with the team pretty much getting gutted of all the main players of last season and some of the scholars of the U18 team stepping up.

Of the newer U18s, I'd say to look out for Miguel Azeez. Tall, elegant looking midfielder, real technician from what I've seen.

HappyChap

Virginia
Daley-Campbell - Medley - Ballard - Thompson
Gilmour - Burton
Amaechi - Smith-Rowe - Dragomir
John-Jules
I would try with Saka on left back position. Dragomir cutting inside and leaving space for Saka could be something worth a try knowing that Saka is very offensive player, probably more suited for left wing but still competent on lb. Also, that position is always in demand at senior level.
A lot of flair in this team, I like it!

Top Bottom