• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,155,475

U16 attacker. Very talented. Made his debut for u18s last season and scored a goal.

Shows where our academy is getting at... Chelsea had to let player like Nketiah go. We are slowly getting there where talented players will need to leave because there are so many good players ahead of them!

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I hope we put in some sort of buy back clause even if we get a smaller fee. I really like Da Silva and our midfield isn't exactly stellar so he'd have a chance.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I hope we put in some sort of buy back clause even if we get a smaller fee. I really like Da Silva and our midfield isn't exactly stellar so he'd have a chance.
He trained with the U23s yesterday so it looks like he might be staying fortunately. He's yet to sign a new deal but looks like it's on the cards.

No word on Nelson's contract either, which is still something of a worry.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He trained with the U23s yesterday so it looks like he might be staying fortunately. He's yet to sign a new deal but looks like it's on the cards.

I really think we have to keep as many top quality players as we can. There's something about Nelson that I don't trust. He reminds me of Bentley and is behind AMN in terms of progression. Fingers crossed we keep them both.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Nelson will stay. On the fringes of the first team at the age of 18. Arsenal have choice. Trust in Nelson and Jeff, or buy a winger. If they preach the values of the club, it doesn't make sense to go and buy a young winger to basically end their careers.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Im looking forward to seeing Emerys go with our academy & younger players in our pre season games this year. He's meant to be good at developing younger players I've read so most likely he'll give a few a good run especially the first game. Hoping to see Nketiah, Nelson, Willock, Smith Rowe at least against Boreham Wood.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I really think we have to keep as many top quality players as we can. There's something about Nelson that I don't trust. He reminds me of Bentley and is behind AMN in terms of progression. Fingers crossed we keep them both.
Bentley was overconfident to the point of extreme arrogance. If he had a bit more patience he would have been an Arsenal regular, but he thought he was Bergkamp already and wanted to start ahead of forwards who were winning trophies and still mostly in their prime :lol:.

I don't really see much of that in Nelson, in fact I think his competitive displays show a strong hint of tentativeness on his part, even in games when he looked good. AMN's advantage is that he has the resilience of a man who's had to fight for his first team place to survive by hook or crook, and he's done so without breaking a sweat - even after a mistake. Nelson is not yet at that stage admittedly, while still being a strong talent - I did believe he was given how easily he took to first team football during pre-season but the stakes are different in the competitive game and I'm sure he realizes that now!

Nelson will stay. On the fringes of the first team at the age of 18. Arsenal have choice. Trust in Nelson and Jeff, or buy a winger. If they preach the values of the club, it doesn't make sense to go and buy a young winger to basically end their careers.
I'm pretty sure he'll stay. It's not like he doesn't have options but regardless of how ready (or not) he is, there's a clear pathway into the team for him and other young wingers waiting in the wings. He has first team football under his belt - nearly 15 appearances overall at age 18, for Arsenal. Whatever the circumstances, that's a decent amount and surely with a new manager to impress, he'll feel more emboldened.

He's intimated that he's staying anyway so I'm expecting to hear that news at some point.

Im looking forward to seeing Emerys go with our academy & younger players in our pre season games this year. He's meant to be good at developing younger players I've read so most likely he'll give a few a good run especially the first game. Hoping to see Nketiah, Nelson, Willock, Smith Rowe at least against Boreham Wood.
All 4 of those guys will likely be involved, and I think Smith-Rowe is the wildcard that people will be surprised by. He's a smart player, and has a bit of steeliness to his game that one wouldn't expect from an attacking midfielder of his ilk. Not necessarily in the Jack Wilshere-esque "taking on the world" vein, but tends to put in 7/10s even on bad days. A good example was the West Ham game that won us the PL2 title - Smith-Rowe started left wing and played more of a supporting role in the game which saw Nelson and Nketiah dominate while Willock and DaSilva provided thrust from midfield. He was quiet but he didn't look overawed or out of place. I can see Smith-Rowe earning a call-up to Singapore.

I don't think we'll see a lot of youngsters on the tour outside of the aforementioned and I even doubt we'll see a lot of youngsters vs Boreham Wood. I'm a little disappointed that Xavier Amaechi has missed out on first team training time - I honestly thought he'd done enough to earn a spot, but it's no bother because he's 17 and still has plenty of opportunities because of the lack of wingers at the club. If anything, Amaechi is more of a true wide man than budding #10 Reiss Nelson.

Speaking of wingers, I also have a weird feeling that Chuba Akpom might luck his way back into contention. He's struggled playing as a #9 everywhere he has played, but interestingly, he has had some good and effective performances playing as a left winger and there lies the very faint possibility that he could reinvent himself as a wide-forward. With his pace and trickery, it could be the thing that saves his career potentially. He has always been more talented than he's showed and it might prove Jeorge Bird right that his future should have been as a winger.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

The youngsters I wouldnt mind seeing getting game time are Nketiah, Willock, Dasilva, Smith Rowe, Zelalem, Osei Tutu & Nelson. Unfortunately I dont think we'll see Zelalem though, he was meant to be the next big thing when he joined but has hardly been with the first team in any training sessions.

The youngster Mavididi what are his chances when he gets back from loan?

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

A few years ago I would have mentioned AMN in there but as much as he is still younger I'm not going to mention him in the youngsters list cause he is now thoroughly involved with the first team & now got him on the first team profile list.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bentley was overconfident to the point of extreme arrogance. If he had a bit more patience he would have been an Arsenal regular, but he thought he was Bergkamp already and wanted to start ahead of forwards who were winning trophies and still mostly in their prime :lol:.

I don't really see much of that in Nelson, in fact I think his competitive displays show a strong hint of tentativeness on his part, even in games when he looked good. AMN's advantage is that he has the resilience of a man who's had to fight for his first team place to survive by hook or crook, and he's done so without breaking a sweat - even after a mistake. Nelson is not yet at that stage admittedly, while still being a strong talent - I did believe he was given how easily he took to first team football during pre-season but the stakes are different in the competitive game and I'm sure he realizes that now!

I'm pretty sure he'll stay. It's not like he doesn't have options but regardless of how ready (or not) he is, there's a clear pathway into the team for him and other young wingers waiting in the wings. He has first team football under his belt - nearly 15 appearances overall at age 18, for Arsenal. Whatever the circumstances, that's a decent amount and surely with a new manager to impress, he'll feel more emboldened.

He's intimated that he's staying anyway so I'm expecting to hear that news at some point.

All 4 of those guys will likely be involved, and I think Smith-Rowe is the wildcard that people will be surprised by. He's a smart player, and has a bit of steeliness to his game that one wouldn't expect from an attacking midfielder of his ilk. Not necessarily in the Jack Wilshere-esque "taking on the world" vein, but tends to put in 7/10s even on bad days. A good example was the West Ham game that won us the PL2 title - Smith-Rowe started left wing and played more of a supporting role in the game which saw Nelson and Nketiah dominate while Willock and DaSilva provided thrust from midfield. He was quiet but he didn't look overawed or out of place. I can see Smith-Rowe earning a call-up to Singapore.

I don't think we'll see a lot of youngsters on the tour outside of the aforementioned and I even doubt we'll see a lot of youngsters vs Boreham Wood. I'm a little disappointed that Xavier Amaechi has missed out on first team training time - I honestly thought he'd done enough to earn a spot, but it's no bother because he's 17 and still has plenty of opportunities because of the lack of wingers at the club. If anything, Amaechi is more of a true wide man than budding #10 Reiss Nelson.

Speaking of wingers, I also have a weird feeling that Chuba Akpom might luck his way back into contention. He's struggled playing as a #9 everywhere he has played, but interestingly, he has had some good and effective performances playing as a left winger and there lies the very faint possibility that he could reinvent himself as a wide-forward. With his pace and trickery, it could be the thing that saves his career potentially. He has always been more talented than he's showed and it might prove Jeorge Bird right that his future should have been as a winger.

I don't see it with Willock. I'm confused why he has been given so many opportunities. Physically he seems to.have a good build, but is he really deserving of training for the first team? Why has Sheaf not been included when he was on loan as a defensive midfielder last season. Also I don't get why Apkom is there. He has had numerous loan opportunities to display something, but I can't see him developing into a top level player. We need young players who could potentially be elite. Not average squad players. Only the HG status is saving him right now.

I'm more enthused about Jeff than anyone else. He has effortless ball control and confidence, but more than anything he has physically really developed over the past year.

Nelson, Jeff and Nketiah are the ones to watch I feel.

nick gould

We have been down that route before with Chamberland, Theo, Jack Wilshere and it produced some super soft losers with an incredible sense of entitlement. Buy a winger if we need one and encourage competition. You can’t keep the cream down, it tends to rise to the top.

Latest posts

Top Bottom