• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,773
  • Views 1,156,748

Benfica, Juventus and Barcelona now pick up a few of our talents. Not to mention also Everton snapping up Virgina. Not gonna say they will make it there. But shows how good our biggest bets like Nketiah, Nelson and Willock and others are if the players behind them are going to such a good clubs!

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Followed him three years..
So he is good enough for Juventus Youth, but not good enough for our?

Something is wrong here.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Fee of €2m apparently. Either we've seen that offer as too good to turn down or he's wanted the move when learning of juves interest.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't think this is a good move for him. Should have gone to a German team IMO - will end up stuck in Serie B/C for yonks like the rest of the talent Juve has hovered up.

I think it's a brave decision for him to leave us. Just not sure it's the right club. I rate him and would rather have kept him but it would have been tough to get ahead.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
He's 20. Needs football competitively IMO.

He will play in the Third Italian League for Juve B.
It is not that good.

A loan to a Chamionsship/ League One team and he would have football competitively. We need our youth and we can't afford to lose many talents at the age of 20 or beforen.
Even if we know, that not all talents will make it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He will play in the Third Italian League for Juve B.
It is not that good.

A loan to a Chamionsship/ League One team and he would have football competitively. We need our youth and we can't afford to lose many talents at the age of 20 or beforen.
Even if we know, that not all talents will make it.
I agree it's a bad move but he probably does not want another loan to the Championship or League 1, especially given his time at Preston.

We aren't short for strikers at youth level either, as much as I would have kept him.

DVD

All the best to him. There is no point holding on to young players that age if they are not going to play. I think one of our past mistakes was keeping too many prospects on the books in similar positions.

First team opportunities are limited and the best prospects suffer if the squad is oversaturated.

I also think adapting to a new culture will do wonders for personal development.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Having a B team in the lower leagues would be so much more beneficial than people realise. It gives them competitive games while also being able to play a style similar to the first team alongside others who may make it.

Probably won't be happening anytime soon though

BoRis

Having a B team in the lower leagues would be so much more beneficial than people realise. It gives them competitive games while also being able to play a style similar to the first team alongside others who may make it.

Totally agree with the B teams. As an example, in Portugal they started the B teams in our second league (Benfica B, Porto B, Sporting B, Braga B, Guimaraes B, Martimo B) some years ago and it was best decision they made. Porto B even went to win the second league two years ago with André Silva leading them.

Several established talents, got their first professional experience there: Bernardo Silva, André Silva, João Cancelo, Gelson Martins, Rúben Dias, Lindelof, Diogo Dalot, Oblak, Renato Sanches, Ruben Neves, João Mário, Nelson Semedo, Eric Dier, André Gomes, Gonçalo Guedes... and more that I can't remenber right now.

If England at least tried it in league 2 i'm sure it would be a great success to establish some youngsters.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I agree on the basis that it would strengthen the youth products of the strongest PL teams but on an objective level, it would most likely gut the Football League - which seems to be its own entity outside of the PL - and kill the integrity of the lower leagues, something that Football League, the clubs and its fans are keen to prevent from happening.

The only other alternative is to actually play these guys in the PL at the expense of the more "experienced" talent, foreign or otherwise. Also, while the leagues in other countries have B teams competing in the lower leagues, they also have quotas for the amount of nationals they allow in their sides, for all the foreign talent they acquire. Many PL fans scoff at the idea of quotas, nowadays they'll probably call it a "brexit" situation :lol:. However, those same fans will probably bemoan England's lack of success at a national level because they aren't producing enough PL stars, when they hardly get a real break.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Not exactly Arsenal, but I think it's relevant here.. I feel like very few of our loan deals end up being successful, especially for the youngsters.. We have to do a better job in finding the right fit for the player.
It's a problem with most of the top half of the PL when it comes to their youth talents. Sp**s are a team heralded for their youth but guys like Marcus Edwards get shunted about the place to various teams and they then question their attitude when players like him become disillusioned with their careers (viewing this through the microcosm of top level football, not overall career disillusionment).

Chelsea are probably the biggest culprits, as there is virtually no pathway into the team. They signed an excellent young defender in Christensen and paid him stupid money and he still barely features. Hudson-Odoi blew everyone away as soon as he got the preseason call-up for Chelsea and he's still not getting named even on the bench. And we, of course, are probably the team that grants the most opportunities but I still think we could and should be doing more for our talents, given how much we pat ourselves on the back for our youth policy.

The players are wising up, that's why they're all leaving and going abroad. Jadon Sancho leaving for Dortmund is a really big deal because other than Foden, he's the jewel of the England youth set-up and he's chosen to go away from the PL because he was not going to get opportunities with City - not the kind he needed anyway.

It's no surprise that Reiss Nelson is still mulling over a contract he's verbally agreed to sign twice, because even though he's a Gooner at heart (and I reckon he'll eventually sign}, he's done enough developing in PL2 and probably doesn't want to kill his career before it starts by going to a Championship team that won't play him or do anything useful with him - he's looking for an opportunity to earn his place. And honestly, he should get it IMO. The team has no wingers, and more importantly, no strong dribblers with end product. Nelson is made for this role, and his potential should afford him some leeway. He was not even named on the bench. I hear people say all the time "He needs physically developing to get used to the league" - well, how the **** is he ever gonna get used to the league if he never plays in it? Backwards logic IMO.

At some point, token EL/CC outings are not enough, they need to be trusted. How can they ever be good/great players for us if they are not trusted? How would they gain confidence by getting loaned to a team that doesn't even know how to use them? Why would they want to stay in the PL when the PL teams they play for, and even support in most cases, abandon them? The PL is failing it's own young talents. They might be feeling themselves because the senior national team lucked its way to a semi-final, but if the players who actually won their respective tournaments at their age group aren't given the platform, then England will continue to fail, and the PL will never produce it's own homegrown stars.

But the PL will continue to make billions so in the end who's really bothered? :lol:

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The Championship had the 3rd highest overall attendances of all European leagues in 2017. To make it a plaything of the biggest seven or eight clubs in the top tier, fighting it out with the first teams of Forest and Sunderland would be good for these teams but it would kill the integrity of the English football pyramid.

What the big clubs try and do is kill the element of surprise in football by buying the best players or, in the case of Chelsea, preventing your rivals from getting them. And of course to avoid surprises you limit the introduction of new players to the bare minimum. Create a large academy to groom players and stop others from getting them and then ship most of them to smaller clubs or abroad when their time is up.

I don't want B teams distorting the leagues below. I don't want Arsenal playing the Arsenal Reserves in the FA Cup final (it happened in Spain once). I don't want franchise football - though Kronke would love it - because there's no guarantee that when the franchises become set in stone your team will be one of them and if it's not millions of fans will be condemned to the outer darkness forever or have to become plastic supporters like those Manu fans on the south coast. No thanks, not for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom