• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,773
  • Views 1,156,655

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Ooh, this'd be interesting.
Certainly would be. Unheralded really, and not as highly rated as other prospects, but whenever I watched him he's been solid and doesn't really make mistakes. He had a good run for the U18s last season and was really good in the Youth Cup at LB, all while he was a 2nd year scholar and - like Danny Ballard - really earned his spot as a young pro. He hasn't played much as he's no longer eligible for the U18s and Bola is ahead of him currently, but Emery obviously likes him. Helps that he's a long term left back, while Tolaji Bola is naturally a CB. I'm guessing people see Saka ending up LB aswell, which is why there's little fanfare for Thompson, but I for one am intrigued to see if he's offered a rare opportunity and what he does with it. Saka will get plenty of opportunities at LW/RW anyway with Amaechi's injury.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Evening Standard reports that Xavier 's injury is a broken metatarsal. It's not a career changing injury, but it's gonna take at least a few months to heal unfortunately, so he really will be out for a while. Best hope is that he returns early after the New Year.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
U23s face Liverpool U23s tonight. LFCTV will stream the game thankfully.

-Nketiah will most likely start as he very unfortunately did not make it off the bench. Unlikely that Smith-Rowe will start after appearing for the first team last night.

-Gilmour is suspended for the next 3 games so this could be an opportunity for Matt Smith or Robbie Burton. Olayinka will most likely get more time aswell. I think the lineup will be this:

Iliev

Oluwu Pleguezuelo Ballard Bola

Willock Smith

Olayinka John-Jules Saka

Nketiah

--

This would be an interesting lineup, although I'd try and fit Coyle in there somehow. We'll see what Ljungberg goes with. After a bit of a testy start, I've been impressed with how he's gotten the U23s to play. They're much more tactically developed, and they're very good off the ball. They also benefit from the likes of Nketiah and Pleguezuelo's experience. Could do with one of Hein or Okonkwo stepping up because Iliev - while a very good shot-stopper - makes a lot of unnecessary mistakes.

I'm also a massive fan of Danny Ballard. Might be one of the better CBs we've developed from Hale End to now. Comfy on the ball and really enjoys defending, can easily see him being a fan favorite.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Here's the lineup:

Iliev

Pleguezuelo Medley Ballard

Olayinka Willock Bola Burton Saka

Nketiah John-Jules

Ljungberg opting for a back 3 with Olayinka and Saka as wing backs (perfect use of both players IMO). Quite an interesting midfield with Willock providing most of the thrust it looks like, Bola moving into a defensive midfield position and Burton providing the guile in terms of passing. Would have liked Matt Smith to get the start but Burton's got a nice opportunity and he is talented himself.

Willock, Saka, Nketiah and John-Jules are of interest to me, as is Olayinka. Really want to see Nketiah and John-Jules as a pair.

EDIT: - I got the formation wrong! According to the squad numbers, it's:

Iliev

Pleguezuelo Ballard Medley Bola

Willock Olayinka

John-Jules Burton Saka

Nketiah.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
My apologies guys - the stream doesn't work. I've had to sign up to LFCTV Go to watch this game (cost me 5 quid aswell :lol:).

2-0 to us at half time.

We actually didn't start very well, Liverpool had a lot of the ball and we had to do a lot of defending - which we have done pretty well so far, Olayinka doing a lot of hustling while Medley and Ballard cleared anything towards the area. Ballard's been good again, as has Medley. Pleguezuelo's experience also a factor. Bola is struggling a little bit, could have gotten a red for a last man tackle.

We got a really good counter attack goal (see above post from @Özil'sCloakOfInvisibility ) against the run of play and since then we've absolutely bossed this game.

Willock is having another stormer, he's dribbling and passing rings around Liverpool's midfield, and along with Olayinka have begun to physically and technically dominate.

Saka is also having a great game, his crossing from the left and the way he attacks space is so difficult to deal with. We've got a really huge talent on our hands with him. John-Jules has impressed me aswell and he could have had 2 goals. Nketiah with another stellar #9 performance so far.

Liverpool looked really good initially but I think the goal took a lot of the wind out of their sails. They're still well in it IMO - the likes of Liam Miller and Markovic (yeah, that Markovic) are still decent quality, but another goal from us kills them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So we beat Liverpool U23s 4-0. Flattering victory as this game was actually more even over the 90 minutes than the scoreline suggests but there was a ruthlessness about our approach play and real intent on and off the ball.

- Joe Willock was the MOTM and so far is the player of the season for the U23s. He was doing stellar defensive work, dribbled excellently and played some really slick passes throughout the game. He also looked more like a goal threat than he ever has - seems like Ljungberg has got him working on this as his shooting is much better and he's getting into decent scoring positions. His improvement has been quite something to see for the U23s so far, need to see how he brings it to the first team now.

- I really liked the front 3 tonight. Nketiah, Saka and John-Jules did a lot of pressing from the front (with Willock not far behind) and attacked quickly whenever they had possession. Nketiah in particular put in another consumate #9 performance - running the channels, holding the ball up, linking play, dribbling at defenders often and taking opportunities - he scored 2 today. But Saka also had an excellent performance and on another day would have been MOTM himself - he was a constant menace, attacking space without the ball and dribbling confidently on it. He had the full back on toast. John-Jules also showed brilliant movement on a number of occasions. He had 3 good chances and could have had a hattrick.

- The GK and 2 CBs also had a pretty impressive game. Ballard made a line clearance that was amazing. Again, he's someone I reckon people will like. Medley put in an understated performance alongside him, played a calm defensive game and made some timely blocks and interceptions. Iliev meanwhile made one error at 3-0 but made a number of excellent saves to keep our lead intact and arguably deserved his cleansheet.

- The unsung hero of the game for me was James Olayinka. Did a lot of hustling off the ball, and was very smart and useful on it. While Willock was the star, Olayinka ably complemented his aforementioned midfield partner, showing in almost equal measure his dribbling and passing ability, as well as making some crucial interceptions himself.

- Ljungberg so far has done an excellent job of not only starting to get results but also of tactically improving the youngsters and getting the players to play a game that will enable them to fit into Emery's system upon call-up. There were a number of mirrors to the first team this season in terms of pressing patterns, build-up play and attacking structure - I would argue that they've taken to the system a bit quicker than their first team counterparts, or maybe they're more suited naturally. Some moves were clearly worked on - Saka in particular was isolated with the full-back and made a pinpoint cutback to John-Jules on 3 different occasions in almost identical fashion. Willock's dominance in games and confidence in the final 3rd; Saka's movement off the ball; Nketiah's interchanging; even our defending has improved in spite of the odd goal conceded. There's a lot to be excited about with this crop and I think Ljungberg so far is doing a good job of harnessing the young players we have now.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
How is the other Willock doing by the way? The one who went to Benfica.

So we beat Liverpool U23s 4-0. Flattering victory as this game was actually more even over the 90 minutes than the scoreline suggests but there was a ruthlessness about our approach play and real intent on and off the ball.

- Joe Willock was the MOTM and so far is the player of the season for the U23s. He was doing stellar defensive work, dribbled excellently and played some really slick passes throughout the game. He also looked more like a goal threat than he ever has - seems like Ljungberg has got him working on this as his shooting is much better and he's getting into decent scoring positions. His improvement has been quite something to see for the U23s so far, need to see how he brings it to the first team now.

- I really liked the front 3 tonight. Nketiah, Saka and John-Jules did a lot of pressing from the front (with Willock not far behind) and attacked quickly whenever they had possession. Nketiah in particular put in another consumate #9 performance - running the channels, holding the ball up, linking play, dribbling at defenders often and taking opportunities - he scored 2 today. But Saka also had an excellent performance and on another day would have been MOTM himself - he was a constant menace, attacking space without the ball and dribbling confidently on it. He had the full back on toast. John-Jules also showed brilliant movement on a number of occasions. He had 3 good chances and could have had a hattrick.

- The GK and 2 CBs also had a pretty impressive game. Ballard made a line clearance that was amazing. Again, he's someone I reckon people will like. Medley put in an understated performance alongside him, played a calm defensive game and made some timely blocks and interceptions. Iliev meanwhile made one error at 3-0 but made a number of excellent saves to keep our lead intact and arguably deserved his cleansheet.

- The unsung hero of the game for me was James Olayinka. Did a lot of hustling off the ball, and was very smart and useful on it. While Willock was the star, Olayinka ably complemented his aforementioned midfield partner, showing in almost equal measure his dribbling and passing ability, as well as making some crucial interceptions himself.

- Ljungberg so far has done an excellent job of not only starting to get results but also of tactically improving the youngsters and getting the players to play a game that will enable them to fit into Emery's system upon call-up. There were a number of mirrors to the first team this season in terms of pressing patterns, build-up play and attacking structure - I would argue that they've taken to the system a bit quicker than their first team counterparts, or maybe they're more suited naturally. Some moves were clearly worked on - Saka in particular was isolated with the full-back and made a pinpoint cutback to John-Jules on 3 different occasions in almost identical fashion. Willock's dominance in games and confidence in the final 3rd; Saka's movement off the ball; Nketiah's interchanging; even our defending has improved in spite of the odd goal conceded. There's a lot to be excited about with this crop and I think Ljungberg so far is doing a good job of harnessing the young players we have now.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Disappointing that a player like Nketiah didn't even get on the pitch last night. Completely disagree with Emery's attitude towards who should play in the Europa League group stage easy games.

Mavropanos wasn't even on the bench. A team which can't afford to compete at the top in the transfer market and doesn't give its promising young players a chance even in unimportant games is heading for mediocrity aka Kronkeness.

Disappointing that a player like Nketiah didn't even get on the pitch last night. Completely disagree with Emery's attitude towards who should play in the Europa League group stage easy games.

Mavropanos wasn't even on the bench. A team which can't afford to compete at the top in the transfer market and doesn't give its promising young players a chance even in unimportant games is heading for mediocrity aka Kronkeness.

My guess is that Emery doesn't have clue about these players and will need time to get to know them. Gazidis full of **** saying he knew a lot about them. The truth is he probably knew a thing or two about AMN and Iwobi who already played a lot of games for us.

If Emery is a developer he will soon pick a couple of players from u23, this is very strong generation.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
How is the other Willock doing by the way? The one who went to Benfica.
Still in the B team unfortunately, doesn't look like making his debut just yet.

Emery is looking to take the competition seriously from the get go as well as use it as a launching pad for whoever he deems to be on the cusp of breaking into the first team. I'm trying to be patient but some of these guys shouldn't be playing for us anymore. Welbeck scored but if you take away the goal, he was rubbish all game. I like him, but I would rather see Nketiah get that spot. Nketiah has battered every obstacle put in front of him, and has actually scored for the first team (in a knockout competition no less). Can't play anymore U23 football, he's too good for that level now.

I can acquiesce a little on Mavropanos as he has a minor injury which is why he wasn't featured.

My guess is that Emery doesn't have clue about these players and will need time to get to know them. Gazidis full of **** saying he knew a lot about them. The truth is he probably knew a thing or two about AMN and Iwobi who already played a lot of games for us.

If Emery is a developer he will soon pick a couple of players from u23, this is very strong generation.
Emery strikes me as a details guy so I don't doubt that he knows about them and has his own ideas about how to harness them. I just feel that he's not been brave enough to use them, and is deferring to the first teamers - which, most of them I don't have too much problem with honestly, but in games where the youngsters could play, I don't really want to see too many first teamers in the side, particularly ones who are very clearly not going to be great players, whereas we are on the cusp of a generation of young players who really could be.

I'm gonna try and be patient. At some point, the penny has to drop.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
There comes a point in the career of a young player like Nketiah when he either makes the final step up to the first team or he never makes it and ends up in lower division football. When a player, as ME rightly puts it, has "bettered every obstacle" he either gets given a bigger challenge to overcome or goes backwards.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
There comes a point in the career of a young player like Nketiah when he either makes the final step up to the first team or he never makes it and ends up in lower division football. When a player, as ME rightly puts it, has "bettered every obstacle" he either gets given a bigger challenge to overcome or goes backwards.
Goes backward or goes elsewhere

Top Bottom