• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,773
  • Views 1,156,486

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...didates-Arsenal-search-director-football.html

Sanllehi is tasked with overall football strategy, representing Arsenal abroad and maintaining contacts, especially with important agents, all to support manager Unai Emery. His role is similar to that once performed by David Dein at Arsenal.

But the club also want someone with a more technical and tactical background to support Emery. As director of football, the candidate would be expected to ensure integration across the youth team to first team.

BareEvergreenKiwi-max-1mb.gif

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

Some guy using wyscout. This was during the U17 Euros. 12 dribbles per 90 at an 83% success rate is ridiculous. I wish the guy actually had his chance creation stats.
Wonder how that is compared to someone like Hudson-Odoi who's also a good direct dribbler

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Wonder how that is compared to someone like Hudson-Odoi who's also a good direct dribbler
Probably similar. Hudson-Odoi is very direct, strong technically and good in front of goal aswell.

Such is the ability level of Amaechi and Saka though, I'm happy to hedge my bets with them. They embody everything we miss in the wide areas and have huge potential also. Opportunity is the only thing they need IMO.

HBL

Established Member
Xavier Amaechi is about to be the English Dembouz, not exaggerating anything at all when I say that ;)

Hoping we may see a couple of youth players on the bench next Tuesday if we beat United on Friday. Not sure there is many better fixtures than at home against Cardiff to try and give them some experience.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Xavier Amaechi is about to be the English Dembouz, not exaggerating anything at all when I say that ;)

Hoping we may see a couple of youth players on the bench next Tuesday if we beat United on Friday. Not sure there is many better fixtures than at home against Cardiff to try and give them some experience.
Don't think he has the ambidexterity of Dembele. I think Sane or Bale is a good target for him. I'd like Amaechi to work on his shooting a bit more. He could score a ****ton of goals if he continues fashioning chances for himself the way he does.

HBL

Established Member

Don't think he has the ambidexterity of Dembele. I think Sane or Bale is a good target for him. I'd like Amaechi to work on his shooting a bit more. He could score a ****ton of goals if he continues fashioning chances for himself the way he does.
Yeah I just compared him to Dembouz because he completed 11 dribbles in 70 minutes the other night before he went off injured, which is a crazy high amount! Amaechi, whilst he doesn't have two strong feet like Dembele, it certainly seems he is capable of playing on either flank at a good level. I'd take a Sane level player though!

Zelalem was good talent. Good stamina for midfielder and had in many cases a similar passing vision as Fabregas and execution as well, of course at the level he was playing at. His problems was he couldn't dominate games like you want these types of midfielders to do, lacked maybe mentality and then injuries destroyed any momentum for him.

Hope he can still have good career!

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Zelalem was good talent. Good stamina for midfielder and had in many cases a similar passing vision as Fabregas and execution as well, of course at the level he was playing at. His problems was he couldn't dominate games like you want these types of midfielders to do, lacked maybe mentality and then injuries destroyed any momentum for him.

That's something I can't agree with. I've watched him at youth level and he wasn't that special. I think Olsson and Akpom were actually best players at the time, Zelalem was fans favourite because he had a few assists against farmers on Asia tour.
I saw something similar here with Reine Adelaide who was bang average for the reserve team but all of the fans though that he was the next big thing here without seeing him play, except for the few minutes in a friendly game.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
We have some big talents out on loan in Bundesliga and some players were not allowed to leave to Championship which I totally agree with.
Just wonder why we don't send any players to Eredvise or to some club in Spanish Segunda?
I think guys like Willock and Nketiah would do great there and I don't understand why we are killing their careers.
Nketiah is completely stuck here

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Zelalem was awesome when he did things with conviction, but he rarely ever did so often. He often faded away in games and wasn't very competitive. He did have some really good games for the U23s though and could have gotten some opportunities in that time, but once he tore his ACL, he was f*cked IMO. That took a huge chunk of time away from him. He's looking physically better now but he needs to leave IMO and test himself elsewhere.

That's something I can't agree with. I've watched him at youth level and he wasn't that special. I think Olsson and Akpom were actually best players at the time, Zelalem was fans favourite because he had a few assists against farmers on Asia tour.
I saw something similar here with Reine Adelaide who was bang average for the reserve team but all of the fans though that he was the next big thing here without seeing him play, except for the few minutes in a friendly game.
I have to stick up for our old friend Jeff - he rarely ever played for the U23s because he was always on the first team bench. Jeff played very little football while he was at the club, comparatively speaking, so while he was often rated very highly based on a few performances, I don't think I could sum him up as bang average simply because he barely ever got a decent consistent run to showcase his potential. In any case, he's now firmly a Ligue 1 regular and likely will leave Angers to join a better team in the division. I can see him becoming a very good player and having a good career - but he had to play football first.

That said, Olsson and Akpom were the 2 major players, same with Jon Toral. Bellerin also came up in that same team.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Arsenal U15s win a 6-a-side tournament with other PL U15 teams. This team is coached by Dan Micciche, a very good youth coach and an important hire this season.

The kid you see talking here is Charlie Patino, who signed for us a few years ago as an 11 year old to great fanfare. He's now 15, has already debuted for the U18s, is an England U16 regular and very highly rated.

If you also look closely at the end of the video, Omari Hutchinson is at the front.

Some other tidbit aswell:

James Olayinka has signed another pro deal with us. He seems to be well liked by us, and understandably so - he's comfortable technically like most Hale End talents, but very athletic and versatile. Has been a main player for Ljungberg in the U23s this season.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Zelalem was awesome when he did things with conviction, but he rarely ever did so often. He often faded away in games and wasn't very competitive. He did have some really good games for the U23s though and could have gotten some opportunities in that time, but once he tore his ACL, he was f*cked IMO. That took a huge chunk of time away from him. He's looking physically better now but he needs to leave IMO and test himself elsewhere.

I have to stick up for our old friend Jeff - he rarely ever played for the U23s because he was always on the first team bench. Jeff played very little football while he was at the club, comparatively speaking, so while he was often rated very highly based on a few performances, I don't think I could sum him up as bang average simply because he barely ever got a decent consistent run to showcase his potential. In any case, he's now firmly a Ligue 1 regular and likely will leave Angers to join a better team in the division. I can see him becoming a very good player and having a good career - but he had to play football first.

That said, Olsson and Akpom were the 2 major players, same with Jon Toral. Bellerin also came up in that same team.
What are your views on why Toral didn't get a chance? He impressed me when I watched him a couple of times for Birmingham.

HBL

Established Member
Think it's understandable why Nketiah and Willock didn't leave, we don't have a very big squad with 3 players out for the season, we need a squad of at least 22-23 players to compete for top four and in the EL.

Leno
Cech

AMN
Lich
Jenkinson
Mustafi
Mavropanos
Sokratis (Out until late Feb/Early March)
Koscielny
Monreal
Kolasinac

Xhaka
Torreira
Guendouzi
Eleneny
Ramsey
Özil

Iwobi
Mkhi
Suarez

Aubameyang
Lacazette

I'm sure there will be a few more injuries throughout the rest of the season, we'll definitely need Nketiah and Willock at some point & probably one of Amaechi/Saka.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What are your views on why Toral didn't get a chance? He impressed me when I watched him a couple of times for Birmingham.
Bad timing IMO. He came up at a time when Arsenal really weren't hurting for midfielders (as inconsistent as our midfield was at the time). He didn't do too badly on loans but I think he lost motivation after going to Hull. The Birmingham loan was really the time when we could have pulled the trigger but it never happened.

He was good though, became a pretty effective attacking player aswell. That'll happen with quite a few of the current lot too, as excellent as they are. We have a midfielder - Matt Smith. Very good, very technical young player but I feel like he may struggle despite how good he is and probably make a good career somewhere else. Same with Robbie Burton. It's all timing and the need for certain profiles.

It's why guys like Saka, Nelson and Amaechi all have great chances to succeed and should be given more opportunities - because there's a complete dearth of their type in the main squad. Smith-Rowe is fairly unique as there are very few players like him.

Toral suffered because his development leaned towards #10 and he wasn't gonna get those chances.

Think it's understandable why Nketiah and Willock didn't leave, we don't have a very big squad with 3 players out for the season, we need a squad of at least 22-23 players to compete for top four and in the EL.

Leno
Cech

AMN
Lich
Jenkinson
Mustafi
Mavropanos
Sokratis (Out until late Feb/Early March)
Koscielny
Monreal
Kolasinac

Xhaka
Torreira
Guendouzi
Eleneny
Ramsey
Özil

Iwobi
Mkhi
Suarez

Aubameyang
Lacazette

I'm sure there will be a few more injuries throughout the rest of the season, we'll definitely need Nketiah and Willock at some point & probably one of Amaechi/Saka.
It's a shame because they'll lose out on precious minutes but they'll just have to be ready to take their chances this season. I feel they've both been adequate when played - Willock has been effective in aiding the attack, and Nketiah has put in very good all-round CF performances despite his uncharacteristic profligacy this season.

I really want to see Saka or Amaechi make a sub appearance this season. I give it a few more U23 games where they destroy some teams before Emery gives them a short cameo. Xavier Amaechi's current position puzzles me though - I give the benefit of the doubt because he's been injured, but he doesn't seem to be close to the first team set-up while Saka is, which I find interesting. I don't think either is a bigger talent than the other but Amaechi should be a lot closer to the first team than he is. I feel he just has to continue working hard, which I'm sure he will do, and continue to make and score goals and use his dribbling well. If he does that, I'm sure he'll get closer.

BobP

Memri Fan
Bad timing IMO. He came up at a time when Arsenal really weren't hurting for midfielders (as inconsistent as our midfield was at the time). He didn't do too badly on loans but I think he lost motivation after going to Hull. The Birmingham loan was really the time when we could have pulled the trigger but it never happened.

He was good though, became a pretty effective attacking player aswell. That'll happen with quite a few of the current lot too, as excellent as they are. We have a midfielder - Matt Smith. Very good, very technical young player but I feel like he may struggle despite how good he is and probably make a good career somewhere else. Same with Robbie Burton. It's all timing and the need for certain profiles.

It's why guys like Saka, Nelson and Amaechi all have great chances to succeed and should be given more opportunities - because there's a complete dearth of their type in the main squad. Smith-Rowe is fairly unique as there are very few players like him.

Toral suffered because his development leaned towards #10 and he wasn't gonna get those chances.

This is probably why Willock won't make it here.

He has Xhaka, Guendouzi, Torreira, and AMN all ahead of him. The average age of that unit is 22. I suppose there's a chance AMN could be converted into a fullback permanently which would see Willock move into that 4th spot.

It's also revealing that Willock was offered a loan to Luton whilst the likes of ESR and Nelson are going out on loan to Bundesliga clubs who compete for a position in the top 4.

Top Bottom