• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,772
  • Views 1,156,413

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think Emery is under a lot of pressure to deliver CL for next season. That's what he was brought in to do as explicitly mentioned in numerous interviews by the top brass, players and Emery himself. He probably feels he doesn't have the luxury of being patient with the youth and is opting to go with the seniors. If he fails to deliver this either through Top 4 or winning the EL, his position will certainly under some serious scrutiny in the summer. A trophyless season without CL football for the next one is the worst possible outcome for him.
Agreed! And the irony of this is that by defaulting and going with the seniors, he's pretty much guaranteeing no CL anyway. He's playing himself. At this point, for me it's not luxury. Luxury would be blooding a Charlie Gilmour or a Dominic Thompson. I think it's a necessity for Saka and Amaechi to appear, because they're the only ones with any pace and 1v1 quality who can offer something in the final 3rd. Willock should appear for some games too as he can also offer something different.

if we didn't get CL this season because Emery had used academy players a lot more, I think most of us would give him a pass - and with our limited funds and our first team struggling it would surely be the sensible and pragmatic way to go
Wholeheartedly agree. I'd imagine some fans will ***** but it's the least worst scenario IMO.

Nketiah physique is not a problem though IMO. He actually has a habit of bullying center backs in all levels he has played so far because he use his physique very well, even with the first team its not a problem. Then he has a stamina which is only matched by few at the club IMO.

His all around performances this season should have earned him more game time. Nketiah goal scoring ability his one of his biggest strength but IMO he needs to get 2-3 games in row. I bet he score if he gets to play more and then it will get easier for him. I want to see him get more game time and trust!
Nketiah is deceptively strong. Menaces defenders he feels he can get the better of. As I've said, it's only his shooting that let him down in the first team this season - not that he's played that much anyway.

First goal : Nketiah back heel to Saka who cross it to Amiechi who cuts it back to Willock with late run into the box to score the goal! :drool:
It was a really well worked goal. Amaechi's cut-back - I'm assuming he meant it :lol: - was very clever. All 4 of the major players involved.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
There's a big part of me that misses Wenger in this regard. The deadweight build up under him was generally him trusting good players too much after injury or something or some absolute cheap gambles like Sanogo. But the last couple years the transfers make no sense. Kola on a free(big salary) when he barely looks like a LB. 60 mil on PEA when we spent 50 on Lacazette 6 months earlier, not saying PEA is not a good player. Lich looks an absolute dud, 3 very similar senior centrebacks with pretty much the same negatives. No wonder Emery liked Holding so much, the defense just looked calmer when he was on the pitch. Chambers being sent on loan after basically being our best CB last season (not saying much but he was the best one last year). Not gonna say much about the Özil situation except this, he's better and still more consistent than whoever's starting over him despite his faults.

Lucas and Matteo are bright spots but both are very young and new to the club and culture.

Weird thing with Emery, he places a lot trust in Guendouzi in a very vital position while not giving the academy wingers a chance where it's far less of a liability.

Just been disheartened about this season in general, I thought Emery was a little more adventurous in his football than he's shown so far. Thought he'd give youth more chances than he has after he gave a lot of chances to the youth at PSG.
I am a little disheartened aswell. I think we'd be much better if we gave them good runs.

HBL

Established Member
Arsenal under 18’s currently four nil up against Leicester under 18’s. Hat-trick for John-Jules and Balogun got the other, Leicester were down to 10 men within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Currently half time.

Doesn’t look like the production line of attacking talent is stopping with the current crop of under 23 players and that’s with Coyle arguably failing to kick on like many expected he would.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Arsenal under 18’s currently four nil up against Leicester under 18’s. Hat-trick for John-Jules and Balogun got the other, Leicester were down to 10 men within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Currently half time.

Doesn’t look like the production line of attacking talent is stopping with the current crop of under 23 players and that’s with Coyle arguably failing to kick on like many expected he would.
7-0 I've read now full time? Saka with another few goals aswell.

HBL

Established Member
7-0 I've read now full time? Saka with another few goals aswell.
Where are you getting that from mate?

I’m following Jeorge Bird and looks like it is still 4-0. Saka wasn’t in the squad, unless there is an under 23’s game going on somewhere.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Where are you getting that from mate?

I’m following Jeorge Bird and looks like it is still 4-0. Saka wasn’t in the squad, unless there is an under 23’s game going on somewhere.
Sorry, I just checked the date, that was August last year, 2018, my bad.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Currently half time.

Ben Cottrell looks very talented. A call back to the days of the diminutive AM that Wenger used to sign often.

HBL

Established Member
Ben Cottrell looks very talented. A call back to the days of the diminutive AM that Wenger used to sign often.
Haven’t seen enough of him, sounds like a Rosicky/Hleb type player from the way you’re describing him though?

Currently watching Chelsea in the UEFA youth league, hope we can get in the champions league next season.
Coverage for this is good, I think a lot of the games are live on BT sport.

Tariq Lamptey looks to be a very exciting fullback/wing back. William Guebbels was playing for Monaco but went off injured.

Wait just realised Chelsea aren’t even in the CL, why aren’t we playing in this competition?

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Finish from John-Jules. Matt Smith is very good IMO. Needs more time with the u23s as I think he struggles a bit physically at that level. Needs time to acclimatize IMO.

I think Freddie could be a great manager for us one day.
Danny Ballard seems to agree.

Freddie is one that few would have considered as a manager but he is paying his dues and doing very well in spite of some of the results mid season.

Freddie is one that few would have considered as a manager but he is paying his dues and doing very well in spite of some of the results mid season.

Hard to blame him though, it has been mostly adaption progress because Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Willock and Nketiah haven't played as much as last year.

Still he has managed to get Saka and Amiechi up to speed at this level and I think many other players have seen a lot of improvements individually although the team results hasn't been all that good.

It will be exciting to follow Ljunberg and see what his ambitions are in the near future!

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Agreed! And the irony of this is that by defaulting and going with the seniors, he's pretty much guaranteeing no CL anyway. He's playing himself. At this point, for me it's not luxury. Luxury would be blooding a Charlie Gilmour or a Dominic Thompson. I think it's a necessity for Saka and Amaechi to appear, because they're the only ones with any pace and 1v1 quality who can offer something in the final 3rd. Willock should appear for some games too as he can also offer something different.

Wholeheartedly agree. I'd imagine some fans will ***** but it's the least worst scenario IMO.

Nketiah is deceptively strong. Menaces defenders he feels he can get the better of. As I've said, it's only his shooting that let him down in the first team this season - not that he's played that much anyway.

It was a really well worked goal. Amaechi's cut-back - I'm assuming he meant it :lol: - was very clever. All 4 of the major players involved.

Absolute top post as always mate. Especially the first section reflects my current feeling to 100%

Latest posts

Top Bottom