• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,962

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Hard to blame him though, it has been mostly adaption progress because Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Willock and Nketiah haven't played as much as last year.

Still he has managed to get Saka and Amiechi up to speed at this level and I think many other players have seen a lot of improvements individually although the team results hasn't been all that good.

It will be exciting to follow Ljunberg and see what his ambitions are in the near future!
A lot of unsung heroes like Olayinka, Ballard and Gilmour aswell who've improved a great deal under Ljungberg. Ballard, in my opinion, is actually more ready for first team football than Zech Medley is - but Medley is a good 3 inches taller and arguably a better technician. Ballard is stronger defensively IMO.

He has done extraordinary work with Willock and Saka though, and Amaechi's off the ball running and use of the ball has continued to improve under Ljungberg too.

Tom349

Finish from John-Jules. Matt Smith is very good IMO. Needs more time with the u23s as I think he struggles a bit physically at that level. Needs time to acclimatize IMO.

Danny Ballard seems to agree.

Freddie is one that few would have considered as a manager but he is paying his dues and doing very well in spite of some of the results mid season.

Agree about Smith. Different last name or different nationality and we would be raving about some of his passes this season.

HBL

Established Member
When is the next u23's match? March 4th according to google but that seems a ridiculous gap from our match last Friday.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Hope we manage to give Amiechi his debut this season. Then we will have a lot of attackers to look at in the pre-season and hopefully a couple will impress there!
I hope so too.

A realistic goal would be for him to go on a full season loan next season after signing a long term deal. I think a sweetener would be a cameo this season to show him that there's a pathway for him. A lot of people think it's gotta be one of Saka or Amaechi, but realistically with their profile and effectiveness, we should be looking to keep both of them.

If I could like that post twice I would!

They kept it quiet that he has been training with the first team, Jeorge Bird is usually on the ball with that. Encouraging if true, hopefully opportunities aren't too far away.
Very quiet indeed, I was under the impression that he had yet to train with them but so he has! And if there's anyone who we need to have a breakthrough it's him IMO. Ljungberg is the perfect tutor for him IMO - Ljungberg wasn't a super technical player or that kind of pacy dribbling winger but he had great work-ethic and acceleration - and a sense of timing that few players have. Was always a very intelligent player and it seems to be coming across in his coaching. Amaechi, Saka and Willock are already armed with the physical and technical tools needed - Ljungberg giving them more in-game intelligence, tactical understanding and helping them gain a better sense of timing would be the optimum result here.

With the new structure still taking shape, I hope they are looking to the academy because there's a lot of benefit to be had IMO.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Very quiet indeed, I was under the impression that he had yet to train with them but so he has! And if there's anyone who we need to have a breakthrough it's him IMO. Ljungberg is the perfect tutor for him IMO - Ljungberg wasn't a super technical player or that kind of pacy dribbling winger but he had great work-ethic and acceleration - and a sense of timing that few players have. Was always a very intelligent player and it seems to be coming across in his coaching. Amaechi, Saka and Willock are already armed with the physical and technical tools needed - Ljungberg giving them more in-game intelligence, tactical understanding and helping them gain a better sense of timing would be the optimum result here.
If he can make Saka/Ameachi do what he did to chelski:

TalkativeMarvelousIsabellineshrike-max-1mb.gif

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If he can make Saka/Ameachi do what he did to chelski:

TalkativeMarvelousIsabellineshrike-max-1mb.gif
Probably another thing he's helped them all with. He was a quality finisher in front of goal. His sense of timing went beyond his runs, it was how he played. Even the crucial nature of his goals were great timing. Awesome player Ljungberg - somewhat underrated in comparison to other Invincibles but he was an incredibly important part of what I consider to be the more dangerous iteration of that team (the 2002 Arsenal team).

HBL

Established Member

Looks a tidy player from what I've seen, don't think he is close to first team level yet.

Still have no idea how long Amaechi has left on his contract, I hope we don't mess that up!

It was interesting when people saw Burton and Matthew Smith in training photos with the first team last season and nobody heard about them. They are very interesting talents because at first glimpse you wouldn't think they could make it here. But Matthew Smith at very least has been having a very very good season with u-18.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
In better news, we maintained a 1-point lead at the top of U18 league ahead of Sp**s by battering Norwich U18s 6-2.

Balogun scored a 1st half hattrick, while John-Jules, Coyle and Greenwood got the other goals. Sp**s have a game in hand but we're pushing them for the title. Strong season from the U18s and Balogun in particular - 16 goals in 13 games for the striker.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Amaechi linked with Bayern! Conracted until 2022 apparently, we should be good!
Well - I did say he was vulnerable in comparison to the other wingers. He's the odd one out because he's not as close to first team contention but based on ability and effectiveness, he's in the same league and could arguably be the breakout if given any leeway. I'm happy to hear his contract is longer than the standard 2 year. The club obviously knew they were onto a good one.

Cannot stress this enough - we NEED to keep him and all the others linked with moves. We would be losing a goldmine of talent that can sustain us for a long time, and end up spending more money trying to make up for it - leaving the squad just as lopsided as it is now. Amaechi, Saka, Nelson, Nketiah, Smith-Rowe, Willock, one of Osei-Tutu and Daley-Campbell etc. All must stay IMO. Loan them so they can play, but they should be future first teamers and squad players if we develop them correctly.

I'll try and make the game tonight time permitting, and apparently scouts will be out in force at Meadow Park tonight.

HBL

Established Member
Well - I did say he was vulnerable in comparison to the other wingers. He's the odd one out because he's not as close to first team contention but based on ability and effectiveness, he's in the same league and could arguably be the breakout if given any leeway. I'm happy to hear his contract is longer than the standard 2 year. The club obviously knew they were onto a good one.

Cannot stress this enough - we NEED to keep him and all the others linked with moves. We would be losing a goldmine of talent that can sustain us for a long time, and end up spending more money trying to make up for it - leaving the squad just as lopsided as it is now. Amaechi, Saka, Nelson, Nketiah, Smith-Rowe, Willock, one of Osei-Tutu and Daley-Campbell etc. All must stay IMO. Loan them so they can play, but they should be future first teamers and squad players if we develop them correctly.

I'll try and make the game tonight time permitting, and apparently scouts will be out in force at Meadow Park tonight.
Yeah I was delighted when I saw the news about the contract. Agree that the players you mentioned could easily feature in the first team regularly next season. Maybe one of Amaechi/Saka should probably still go out on loan, especially if Nelson is back here. With how Mkhi is playing at the minute and the wingers we have in our academy we might not need a winger at this rate!

Top Bottom