Arsenal Reserves Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by M+D, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Anders Harbo

Anders Harbo Well-Known Member

Think it’s too late. He is soon 20 years old. Needs to go on loan next season and really impress. Championship level club...

2. teamsoutheast

teamsoutheast Well-Known Member

Nketiah and Willock are too good for U23 level. They need a loan next season and need to show the mentality and attitude required to keep their respective coaches picking them week in week out. If they can sustain first team football at a high level next season then they will be well on their way to first team football. On a side note, I noticed that Stephy Mavididi made his debut for Juventus at the weekend. I hope he is given more chances going forward, as there is a decent striker in him.

MutableEarth likes this.
  3. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

4. MutableEarth

Aevi likes this.
  5. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

6. Gunner-Union

Gunner-Union Well-Known Member

id like to see what they could offer either side of Auba

Wrighty4eva likes this.
  7. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

Wenger always trusted youth especially in the League Cup. What he failed to do was supplement youth with some experience. The team of 2007-2009 had so much potential. We need to go back to that and the fans as desperate as we are to win a trophy have to embrace the youth that's of the calibre of Cesc/RvP. Emery is conservative but let's give him the best we can in crucial areas and make him play Saka and others to see if they have what it takes in real life.

8. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

The bolded part is crucial. Under Wenger even with intense pressure that was true. I feel Emery might have to be forced in to playing youth that he doesn't know. Time for Freddie and Per to force the issue.

Wrighty4eva likes this.
  9. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

How good is Saka at left-back? Think there's an opening there if he wants it. I fancy Amaechi a bit more for the front three position.

10. DasBootist

DasBootist Well-Known Member

Saka is too good an attacker to be played as a defender. His future should be as a wing forward for Arsenal.

SingmeasongSong likes this.
  11. MutableEarth

He's very good at LB, it's his regular position for England and has played there a number of times already for Arsenal. Main issue is that he's become so effective as an attacker that it's hard to justify dropping him back. However, with his strength, athleticism and defensive contribution complementing his attacking play and dribbling, he'd be a monstrous attacking LB/LWB. There's definitely an opening if he wants it, and an easier one too. It's just not the opening he wants IMO. Ljungberg noted that he played him in a few games for the U23s further back and he was visibly apprehensive in those games - the word "unhappy" was mentioned. Saka is definitely looking for that LW spot.

I fancy Amaechi more as an attacker myself. He's just as raw, but so effective at beating players and getting into dangerous positions off the ball. It's a shame his injury happened when it did. We have to get him signed up and continue his development - he could be a devastating attacker.
    He's making a case for himself definitely. He has an ability to wriggle out of tight spaces with such ease and acceleration that you can't help but think it would be useful in more attacking scenarios. However - as we've seen with AMN - at the top level, sometimes you have to get in where you fit in. AMN has molded himself as a RW and CM respectively for the last 5 years, yet the first position he could get a consistent run that emphasized any strengths of his was at LB then RB. It may not be ideal for now but as long as it amplifies ones strengths on the field, it could be very good long-term.

Trent Alexander-Arnold was a central midfielder too until very recently. He's now one of the top performing RBs in the country. I admit, I did not see AMN becoming a good full-back but he's proving me wrong game by game (even his poorer ones). Saka already had far more full-back experience than AMN at the same age - it's not impossible that he eventually adapts to an LB role. If it is worked correctly, it won't even harm his offensive game - Kolasinac basically lives in the opposition half. Saka could take that spot in time.

12. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

How old is Balogun? Unbelievable numbers

13. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

With how Emery uses the left wing back in his system, it seems Saka would be a perfect fit. Without a doubt.

14. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

It says he's 17.

15. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Didn't see it lol the guy should be tried in pre season this summer heard great stuff about matt Smith too

16. MutableEarth

Balogun is 17. Will be 18 in the Summer. And yeah, his numbers this season are out of this world. Nketiah-level numbers. If he can carry this up to U23 next season, won't be long before the hype starts to build around him.

Saka could be a top class full/wing-back in our system if he really wanted that spot. He very much prefers playing further forward however. And honestly, he could become world class in either position of LB or LW.

17. MutableEarth

Matt Smith is an interesting one because not many are talking about him, but he's a very cultured CM. Great passer, decent dribbler under pressure and generally very clever in the position. One to watch.

18. MutableEarth

1st senior goal. Big talent, is Josh Dasilva. Hopefully continues to shine at Brentford.

krackpot likes this.
  19. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

Not an arsenal player though

20. MutableEarth

Couldn't be bothered to post it in ex-gunners threa so posted it here. He's a Hale End graduate, joined the club at 8 years old and I'll always wish him success.

pigge likes this.