• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Sign Sol Campbell

James

Established Member
Re: Arsenal Sign Sol Campbell On Trial

Don't do this to me. Mathieu's gone, he's not coming back :cry:

Illusion

Established Member

I may be in the minority, but I don't want him back.

He was only quality for one season, which happened to be the last season of his contract and he did not know the club even wanted to renew it.

Given the way he left to go to another club it wouldn't be crazy to suggest that he was 'selling himself' with his extra effort as many other players have done in the past.

He was offered a contract, he was offered a pay rise and he had the chance to stay with Wenger, with Arsenal and with his friends and he chose to go to Milan anyway.

Since part of the reason he went to Milan was certainly the fact he would make even more money, it acts as yet another black mark over his return as he would almost certainly not take a pay cut to return.

Our system has changed since he was last in our team and I don't believe he suits the way we play right now.

Is he really going to come back and play second fiddle to Song? Or should Song be dropped so that Flamini can claim 'his' place in the midfield?

Finally, this is a player who wants to play in midfield and nowhere else and midfield is one area where we have an abundance of talent. He is far more likely to get a game as a backup fullback once Song returns and I doubt he wants that.

Oh and one more point, should we really pay millions to re-sign a player that left us for free?

I definitely don't want him back, not even in dreamworld.

Biggus

Established Member

Illusion said:

He was only quality for one season, which happened to be the last season of his contract and he did not know the club even wanted to renew it.
Untrue, he helped us to the CL final with some great performances as a utility player, some of us saw his talent then.
Illusion said:
Given the way he left to go to another club it wouldn't be crazy to suggest that he was 'selling himself' with his extra effort as many other players have done in the past.

He was offered a contract, he was offered a pay rise and he had the chance to stay with Wenger, with Arsenal and with his friends and he chose to go to Milan anyway.

Since part of the reason he went to Milan was certainly the fact he would make even more money, it acts as yet another black mark over his return as he would almost certainly not take a pay cut to return.
You're crazy he's a professional footballer not a life long supporter.

Illusion said:
Our system has changed since he was last in our team and I don't believe he suits the way we play right now.
Really what have we won since then, the present system was a response to inept performances of our marshmallow like midfield since he left

Illusion said:
Is he really going to come back and play second fiddle to Song? Or should Song be dropped so that Flamini can claim 'his' place in the midfield?
In case you haven't noticed Songs not here and may not be back for awhile during which our league campaign may be over and I say the more DM's the better, competition is good for us.
Illusion said:
Finally, this is a player who wants to play in midfield and nowhere else and midfield is one area where we have an abundance of talent. He is far more likely to get a game as a backup fullback once Song returns and I doubt he wants that.
Well we don't have an abundance of talent in experienced hard tackling ball winners thats for sure :lol: the more the merrier.

Illusion said:
Oh and one more point, should we really pay millions to re-sign a player that left us for free?.
Who knows the details of any proposed deal?

CKD39

Established Member

He may have turned out to be a money grabbing pillock, but at least he remained professional and gave 110 % until his final game. It's not like we'd be resigning Adebawhore or someone like that. I'd welcome Flamini back in a flash.

Biggus

Established Member

Thats the type of player he is, we know what we'd be getting.

Illusion

Established Member

Biggus said:
Illusion said:

Untrue, he helped us to the CL final with some great performances as a utility player, some of us saw his talent then.
Illusion said:

You're crazy he's a professional footballer not a life long supporter.

Illusion said:
Really what have we won since then, the present system was a response to inept performances of our marshmallow like midfield since he left

Illusion said:
In case you haven't noticed Songs not here and may not be back for awhile during which our league campaign may be over and I say the more DM's the better, competition is good for us.
Illusion said:
Well we don't have an abundance of talent in experienced hard tackling ball winners thats for sure :lol: the more the merrier.

Illusion said:
Oh and one more point, should we really pay millions to re-sign a player that left us for free?.
Who knows the details of any proposed deal?

So we're going to sign a player contracted to Milan, immediately in this window and for absolutely nothing. Not only are we going to do that, we're going to pay him less than what he's now getting at Milan.

Yes, he did well as a utility player once, but as I'm sure you are aware, he really really does not want to play anywhere but in midfield. Half the reason he is even linked with a move away from Milan is because they keep using him as a utility player.

Our current system has us in contention for the league title and we've had more injuries this season than in Flamini's only title challenging season.

I will say it again, Flamini was only excellent for us in midfield during the final year of his contract. The same year he left the club to make more money elsewhere since he'd just spent a year playing very well, increasing his stock enough for Milan to even notice he exists.

If he was that good why is he a bench boy utility player for Milan and not the new Gattuso, he was called Mattuso on here was he not?

The Flamini ship has sailed.

We are in terrible shape when it comes to goalkeepers, yet we have people wishing for the return of Flamini. I think we have far higher priorities than taking that deserter back.

kamikaze80

Established Member

i'd swap denilson for flamini (not literally with milan, just in<-->out). denilson is the more valuable player and probably better going forward, but flamini fits our needs better.

dreamLord

Established Member

I just don't want him to sign with anyone else that we're going to play. All the players Arsenal fans boo do something to bite us in the 'arse. Bentley,Cashley,Adeba,Drogba,Alidiere, etc etc.

James

Established Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/sol-campbell-rejoins-arsenal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ns-arsenal</a>

Deals done.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

Biggus said:
Theres even betting that St Mattieu will return!
http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Footbal...Flamini_as_next_former_Gunner_to_re-join.aspx
If this happens it will be of Kaffkanesque proportions and I'll become a Wengerite again, strange days.

This will never happen though. Flamini didn't keep his word to Wenger. Back then, he always said that he wants to remain at the club, so Wenger offered him an improved contract, he had lots of game time and in the end he fecked off to Milan mafia.

I wouldn't rely too much on bookies. Remember that back in 2007, bookies predicted that Liverpool was the best bet where Henry would go to.

In fact, if there's anyone who Wenger might be considering to resign, I believe it will be Henry and noone else.

TheEmirateDon

Illusion said:
So we're going to sign a player contracted to Milan, immediately in this window and for absolutely nothing. Not only are we going to do that, we're going to pay him less than what he's now getting at Milan.
If he wanted to make a return, it'd be because he has a better chance of becoming a first team regular here. I wouldn't put it past him to take a slight pay cut in order to do that. He's got a career to revive and a World Cup to compete for, there's no way he'd be guaranteed a spot on that flight to SA if he isn't playing all that often and is mostly used across the defence.

Contrary to popular belief, I've always considered Flamini as more of a centre mid than a defensive one. He was used in a more restricted role in the earlier stages of the campaign, but was later allowed more freedom to express himself. He also had the stamina to close down opponents, trackback and keep it reasonably simply when he reclaimed possession. That's the type of player we could use alongside Cesc and in front of Song. Him and Denilson could compete for the remaining spot in midfield whilst also providing adequate cover for our only recognised defensive mid.

If we had no other alternative, I'd almost certainly welcome him back with open arms. If he was playing that well when eyeing a new contract then I'm sure he'll be able to replicate that form in order to make the plane for South Africa. Providing the price is right, It'd be a great bit of business.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member

albakos said:
Biggus said:
Theres even betting that St Mattieu will return!
http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Footbal...Flamini_as_next_former_Gunner_to_re-join.aspx
If this happens it will be of Kaffkanesque proportions and I'll become a Wengerite again, strange days.

This will never happen though. Flamini didn't keep his word to Wenger. Back then, he always said that he wants to remain at the club, so Wenger offered him an improved contract, he had lots of game time and in the end he fecked off to Milan mafia.
Neither did Sol.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Sol was free this window though. Flamini would likely cost somewhere around £10 million to sign - if Milan even are interested in discussing it.

TheEmirateDon

Klaus Daimler said:
Sol was free this window though. Flamini would likely cost somewhere around £10 million to sign - if Milan even are interested in discussing it.
Would you say that's too much? Personally, provided Arsène's had a good look at him, I wouldn't mind having him back at that price.

Gurgen

Established Member
I would. Song is already twice the player Flamini ever was. Don't see why we would want him here.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Flamini would be a pointless signing. He and Song wouldn't be able to play in the side together. I agree that in many aspects Song is a far superior player then Flamini.

ricky1985

Established Member
Gurgen said:
I would. Song is already twice the player Flamini ever was. Don't see why we would want him here.
I agree. Flamini was a good player who had a great attitude, but Song is something else altogether.

Latest posts

Top Bottom