• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
The problem everyone is having is that nobody checks in for the ball. Not as often as we would like.
Ox,Kos,Monreal and Mustafi are the only players that move to the ball instead of waiting for it. Ox did it last night whilst Ramsey stood and watched as a Boro player ran off with it-twice.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
So what you're saying is that a player is supposed to float into that space, surrounded by opposition players, and just pick the ball up?

Bullshit.

There are rarely ever any connections in that stage of our buildup.

What ends up happening is that the back 4 pass it back and forth to one another, until a fullback, backed up against the touchline, with 180 degrees of space, receives the ball. Do you think this is an ideal position from which to progress the play up the field? Basically backed up against a corner. IMO, it's not, because the fullback can easily be harried out of play, or is just forced to pass it back into the center, meaning the whole mind numbing process starts again.

Literally, top teams press so as to push the opposition to the non-threatening wide areas, that goes to show how poor of a position it is to build play from.

What on Earth are you going on about?

The reality is that a still picture showing space in front of a back 4 means absolutely sweet **** all. It is quiet common, depending on the set up, for a player to only check into that space when they want the ball. Depending on how the opposition are set up, standing in that space and waiting does nothing more then drawing the opposition into that space pressuring the defence to go long.

Once again, a still picture shows absolutely nothing and if that is all there is to support that, I won't waste my time any further.

coolaa

It does not matter what tactics or formation we choose, we concede goals because our CBs and DM are outmuscled. Since Sol Campbell left, whatever CB pairing we had was crap, whether it was toure with gallas or others.

If we want to play Kos, than you someone like Huth, shawcross, Morgan, whoever is tall and big, also would need a powerhosue DM like wanyama or engine machine like kante. If we do not have that kind of DM, sorry we cannot afford to have kos , and we just need to big CBs.

Simple as that, being CB,you just need pace, height, muscle. Those sort of reading the game, positioning is just rubbish for CB.

BobP

Memri Fan
What on Earth are you going on about?

The reality is that a still picture showing space in front of a back 4 means absolutely sweet **** all. It is quiet common, depending on the set up, for a player to only check into that space when they want the ball. Depending on how the opposition are set up, standing in that space and waiting does nothing more then drawing the opposition into that space pressuring the defence to go long.

Once again, a still picture shows absolutely nothing and if that is all there is to support that, I won't waste my time any further.

Uh huh, lets leave it at that.

It's clear that your understanding of football is rudimentary, at best.

All I can recommend is that you watch more football games.

mm76

Yer Da
The problem everyone is having is that nobody checks in for the ball. Not as often as we would like.

Totally, while we are guilty of passing sideways too often, equally a player can often look up to find that there's no real option forward as no-one's making a run or coming near to run onto a pass forward, so we end up sending it back to the defence...

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
so we play 3 at the back once, barely squiez by maternallyfornicating Middlesborough and all of a sudden 352 is some revolutionary new thing that your false prophet Wengeriah makes you believers again?

I like 352 or derivates I do, but we hardly have the manpower for that now or even with a few major signings

352 is such a paradigm shift I do not really support it, we would need to change overall training, youth setup etc etc

scytheavatar

Established Member
The way the modern day 4-2-3-1 works it's more or less already a 3-5-2, with the deep lying mid dropping deep, full backs pushed up, wingers expected to track back and AMC being more or less a second striker.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Uh huh, lets leave it at that.

It's clear that your understanding of football is rudimentary, at best.

All I can recommend is that you watch more football games.

You have made a complete fool of yourself here.

Any more still pictures to show from this mornings game? I found a picture with Ox on the wrong side of the field and I think I'm going to use it to show that he has no positional awareness and is a liability :lol:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
this change highlights the lack of leaders/communication we have in defence. Holding and Gabriel looked fabulous beside Kos. I think it was because they could each do their own thing without having to coordinate a lot.

if we want to go back to a flat-4, we might need to buy a vocal leader in defense, soneone like Per.

MATHEO

3 at the back makes us solid if we we sat back like we did against City but it ****s up our pressing system because we have one less player pressing upfront, even if we gambled and started to press, it may come at the cost of being bypassed in midfield.

The team should find a way to adapt a new pressing system, I personally prefer pushing one of the CBs to act like a defensive midfielder when our midfielders are pressing up high.

nick gould

3 at the back makes us solid if we we sat back like we did against City but it ****s up our pressing system because we have one less player pressing upfront, even if we gambled and started to press, it may come at the cost of being bypassed in midfield.

The team should find a way to adapt a new pressing system, I personally prefer pushing one of the CBs to act like a defensive midfielder when our midfielders are pressing up high.

The pressing thing certainly didn't work. At times Xhaka found himself so high up pressing their defenders.

I am still not convinced with this formation though. I reckon we can do a lot better with a more conservative 4 - 2 -3 -1. When one full back pushes up one stays. If both push up then the 2 holding midfielders should take up conservative positions. By the way Juventus play with a back 4 now and it works if you do it right. It's still good though to see Wenger trying out new things.

Wryer

I agree that a new formation breathed new life into the team. Obviously it's going to take time, and obviously people question why does it take so much for us to try something new.

Separately, I know it's too early. But someone like Van Dijk will make a 3 man defense with Kos and Mustafi so much better. Backed up by Gabriel and Holding. We need some vocal leaders in there.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Wenger says 3-4-3 gets the best out of every player, I kinda agree to an extent. Our 3 CB's are more comfortable having the extra man with them, Monreal has more license to get forward and Ox has a role that fits his attributes quite well. Ramsey and Xhaka also have extra bodies all around them and there's more passing options in the system too while Özil is allowed more freedom. Alexis, well he's still producing. It's a pity we didn't have another top quality forward to make it work even better.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
While it's nice to see a change and the extra defender does seem to have helped (our fullbacks play as wingbacks anyway) I'm a little miffed at the decision to go to 343 rather than the more commonly used 352/3412.
This has less width but you would have Özil in his preferred position and I think Giroud and Sanchez would work well as pair, considering Wenger said the whole point was to get more bodies in central areas you would think 352 would be more logical than 343.

David_Smith

The 3 at the back formation is a stopgap solution by Wenger to give us defensive stability since we've been too exposed on the counterattack with our usual formation in recent times.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The 3 at the back formation is a stopgap solution by Wenger to give us defensive stability since we've been too exposed on the counterattack with our usual formation in recent times.

Reminds me of the 11/12 season when we started playing Yossi and Rozza in midfield to help out due to their work rate. Or in 12/13 when we switched to Rosicky in midfield, Ramsey-Arteta pivot, Cazorla wide and a back 4 of Gibbs-Koscielny-Meresacker-Sagna ahead of Fabianksi and ended up getting 8 wins and 2 draw from 10 games. Wenger does go tend to switch things up in a big way when he knows we're in desperate need of results.

Like you, I do suspect we'll go back to our usual stuff next season should Wenger remain in charge and he'll be hopeful the team will be in better shape to implement his style by then.

David_Smith

Change can be good.
Ultimately we need a formation that best suits the players we have at our disposal. Conte found the best possible formation for Chelsea, we've yet to find ours. 4-2-3-1 does suit us very well but we have to examine reasons as to why it's not been working.
I think we should go back to our roots of playing narrow since playing wide hasn't worked for us, it's leading to too many turnovers in possession.

The football manager gamer in me has an idea of a 5-2-3 formation with inverted style wing backs playing as narrow as possible, Alexis as the main attacking outlet in the #10 role (FM calls it a 'shadow striker') behind two supporting strikers, but I'm not sure how practical it would be in real life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom