• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Giroud

Established Member
Monreal is perfect for the LCB role. Can carry the ball forward into midfield to outnumber the opposition in certain areas and Mustafi similarly can provide this threat on the right in possession.

Given most of our centre backs are very aggressive a 3-4-3 should suit them well. The gaps between the players are much smaller when the wingbacks drop into a back 5 which allows the defenders to press aggressively and still have 4 players providing cover. Previously with 4 at the back we would have Mustafi or Gabriel in particular playing too aggressively stepping up to win the ball frequently. When they failed to stop the attack the onrushing opposition could take advantage of the remaining 3 players who have the whole width of the pitch to cover.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
What about the LB/LWB we're signing on a free? Do you think he will displace Monreal? (I know nothing about him)

Where does Ox fit when Bellerin is fit and in form? Where do Ramsey, Cazorla, and Wilshere fit? El Neny/Coquelin?
Monreal is a good attacker and Kolasniac? has some good stats but I guess it's down to who has the better defensive/offensive prowess depending on the opposition.
As for the others, I'm hoping some of them fit in elsewhere. If they don't, then only Bellerin, Coq and Elneny can be considered reasonably robust.

Shaun90

Monreal is perfect for the LCB role. Can carry the ball forward into midfield to outnumber the opposition in certain areas and Mustafi similarly can provide this threat on the right in possession.

Given most of our centre backs are very aggressive a 3-4-3 should suit them well. The gaps between the players are much smaller when the wingbacks drop into a back 5 which allows the defenders to press aggressively and still have 4 players providing cover. Previously with 4 at the back we would have Mustafi or Gabriel in particular playing too aggressively stepping up to win the ball frequently. When they failed to stop the attack the onrushing opposition could take advantage of the remaining 3 players who have the whole width of the pitch to cover.

Have to agree with this.

In 13/14 we seemed to have found some real defensive shape and solidarity. But since we all too often fail when defending as a team. Positioning has been poor and pressing disjointed. Could be the tactics, could be the personnel. But ultimately, it's not been our strong suit.

Like you said, the 3-4-2-1 limits the space between defenders and allows players to defend more individually, knowing that there is numbers behind them. If the RWB is beaten, the RCB covers. If Wenger stays he has to stick with this because its obvious drilling collective defensive work isn't what he's good at.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover

It's not even 3 players who are left to cover the whole width of the pitch often. More likely 2, cause having 4 at the back means at least one fullback will always bomb forward. Take one Cb out od the play, cause of our front foot defending, and we are in all kind od problems.

3 at back suits our style well. Covers lots of little things 433 doesnt give us.
I hope we stick to it. I wont cry if we go back to playing with 4, but it would need some tactical adjustments to make it work, which is not Wenger's thing. At least in 3 at back; most of those tactical adjustments come naturally

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
The main positive to come out of this season. Sort out the MF and I think we can do well with a back three or four. I like this new formation but if we stick with it,I'd like us to buy another starting CB.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Maybe the reason why he played well against Everton is that the team clicked with the formation.

Our season vs chelsea

We had a amazing start, it went wrong and wenger left it too late to change it.

Chelsea had a average start, got battered of us so conte changed it straight away and they walked the league.

Looking back this season even before bayern changes should have been made. Its sad that last game of the season is probably our best all season but too late because wenger is a tactical clown.
continung the discussion from the Özil thread. i think this is a very valid point.

We always implode around Dec-Jan-Feb.

With either the right squad depth, or rotation, or jst a bit of proactivity, we can perhaps arrest our seasonal slide and become a strong title candidate.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
continung the discussion from the Özil thread. i think this is a very valid point.

We always implode around Dec-Jan-Feb.

With either the right squad depth, or rotation, or jst a bit of proactivity, we can perhaps arrest our seasonal slide and become a strong title candidate.
Well yes, we've been screaming for a manager change for a while now.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
If we can manage to stay injury free next season then we're definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with! This new formation really suits us. We look so much better as a Counterattacking team.

If, and it's a very big if, no Arsenal player sustains a major injury next season I think we can win more trophies next year.

Just need one more techical midfielder to replace Santi (Wilshere?:drool:) and a bit more consistency in front of goal from our CF's.

Also at this point in time no one should even be debating whether Özil and Sanchez should stay or leave. Give them their 300,000 grand per week wages and keep em'!

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
If we can manage to stay injury free next season then we're definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with! This new formation really suits us. We look so much better as a Counterattacking team.

If, and it's a very big if, no Arsenal player sustains a major injury next season I think we can win more trophies next year.

Just need one more techical midfielder to replace Santi (Wilshere?:drool:) and a bit more consistency in front of goal from our CF's.

Also at this point in time no one should even be debating whether Özil and Sanchez should stay or leave. Give them their 300,000 grand per week wages and keep em'!
agree with most but even if we keep our main men we undoubtedly need signings. we need a plan B CM or someone to even replace ramsey. hes in great form but he wont suffice in every game. someone like keita is required especially in the tougher games

im a big fan of welbeck and i really want to keep him, but we need a new striker. If that means giroud/perez leave then be my guest.

Im also fed up of seeing walcott's 140k a week face but i doubt we will replace him too. I think today also showed us we still have mert , him mustafi and koscielny can form a fantastic partnership

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Going into next season I really hope that we rotate between our formations.

The 3-4-3 worked great near the end of the season, but our 4-3-3 was also great at the beginning of the season.

Being able to play more than one formation and even switching formations during a match are what the top, top teams are capable of doing.

This team is definitely capable of doing so, and I hope we mix things up a bit tactically next season.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't know about switching between formations. We have enough trouble knowing what to do in one. Everything seems more natural and in sync in this new one have to say.

I love it. Wonder who would be ideal signings. Undoubtedly a striker that combines Welbecks desire and physical capabilities as well as ability to run behind with the technique of Giroud, problem is they are hard to come by

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
I agree about being able to switch formations but that's something which you can only do once you've mastered your current formation. Juventus have played 352/343 since as long as I can remember and only recently did Allegri try the 4231 with them to match other strong teams blow for blow.

I still think we can do better with the 343 especially our end product needs to improve. Today we should have been at least 3 goals up by the time Costa equalized and should have won with a two goal margin at the end. If we can win the Europa next year and actually remain in the title challenge till May, and maybe win one of the two domestic cups, then I'd say we have perfected the 343 and can incorporate new formations.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I do have a question, which I am not sure has been answered yet, and that is, why did Wenger change to a back 3?

Did he change because he was getting so much stick he had no other choice? Had we been working on it in training for a long time and the Boro game was the right time to implement it?

I just want to know why he changed it when he did, was it tactical reasons or did he just think **** it lets see what happens?

I actually like the 3-4-3 system a lot. We may not defend a whole lot better as unite, closing spaces, etc. But we are conceding lesser goals.

But most importantly. Most of our players feel a lot more comfortable in this system. The defenders are 3 so there is always more cover than in 2 CB system. The full backs feel more comfortable playing Arsenal way and get forward because of the extra cover defensively. The same goes for the midfielders. Also I feel we absorb pressure from other teams a lot better although we are yet to be tested by elite pressing team.

I hope we stay with 3-4-3 system for longer. It may have more defenders on the field but we still play but we still are playing the Arsenal way.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Actually it's the same number of defenders seeing as ox is def not a 'defender' :cool: (plus Bellerin is a not exactly stoke type defender)

Top Bottom