• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

DutchCOYG

Hello,

I think this would probably be the best way to play with the current players. assuming PEA will be really joining the squad.

-----------------------PEA ------ Laca------------------------
-----------------------------Özil-------------------------------
--------Sead --- Wilshere ----- Xhaka ----- Bellerin ------
---------------Nacho ---- Koscielny --- Mustafi -----------
------------------------------ GK ------------------------------

This will create a strong defensive basis (finally) and gives Mesut the free role he likes.
Personally, I prefer Xhaka changed for Ramsey to create more soccer intelligence there. (Against stronger teams)

Against weaker teams, we must have trust in our abilities.

------Auba ---------Laca ----------Mkhi -------------
------Ramsey ------ Özil-----------Wilshere---------
Nacho -------Koscielny---Mustafi--------Bellerin--
--------------------------GK-----------------------------

something like this?

Last edited:

DutchCOYG

Hello,

I think this would probably be the best way to play with the current players. assuming PEA will be really joining the squad.

-----------------------PEA ------ Laca------------------------
-----------------------------Özil-------------------------------
--------Sead --- Wilshere ----- Xhaka ----- Bellerin ------
---------------Nacho ---- Koscielny --- Mustafi -----------
------------------------------ GK ------------------------------

This will create a strong defensive basis (finally) and gives Mesut the free role he likes.
Personally, I prefer Xhaka changed for Ramsey to create more intelligence there. (Against stronger teams)

Against weaker teams, we must have trust in our abilities.

-------PEA ---------Laca ----------Mkhi -------------
------Ramsey ------ Özil-----------Wilshere---------
Nacho -------Koscielny---Mustafi--------Bellerin--
--------------------------GK-----------------------------

Damn, this could lead to some amazing games, which can be lost. but if we win it will be with beautiful attacking tactics.

something like this?

Mad_Coko

I'm really concerned how we are going to fit Auba and Laca, what formation are we gona play, the suggested formations here seem very imbalanced.We would have to rely on the sidebacks to provide width, have no ture DM to cover the defense and win aerial duels and also we dont have a pure dribbler in the team.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I'm really concerned how we are going to fit Auba and Laca, what formation are we gona play, the suggested formations here seem very imbalanced.We would have to rely on the sidebacks to provide width, have no ture DM to cover the defense and win aerial duels and also we dont have a pure dribbler in the team.
we've relied on full backs to provide width for years and years now so nothing much will change there, especially with these player bought. Its Wenger ball plain and simple and no out and out winger fits in that system. Thats what the full backs are there for.
So as below have Elneny in as a destroyer against better opposition and Xhaka for when teams are parking the bus. Hell that middle 3 ought to be able to pass their way through anything with those two up front to aim at.
hows about.....

cech
bellerin -- mustafi -- kos -- monreal
Xhaka/Elneny
Wilshere -- Özil -- Mkhi
Laca -- Auba

nick gould

Has anyone noticed that Wenger made a conscious decision to move Kos to the right side in central and Mustafi to the left. Kos has only ever played on the right of centre when paired with Thomas V, a left footed central defender. I am wondering what reasons Wenger has for that. Does anyone know? Is it because he thinks the right hand side is not strong enough because of Bellerin who constantly deserts his post? That would be strange because the left hand side at the time wasn’t that strong either, AMN was deployed there. And Kos is not that much better than Mustafi this season?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Has anyone noticed that Wenger made a conscious decision to move Kos to the right side in central and Mustafi to the left. Kos has only ever played on the right of centre when paired with Thomas V, a left footed central defender. I am wondering what reasons Wenger has for that. Does anyone know? Is it because he thinks the right hand side is not strong enough because of Bellerin who constantly deserts his post? That would be strange because the left hand side at the time wasn’t that strong either, AMN was deployed there. And Kos is not that much better than Mustafi this season?

Hm maybe because Bellerin is usually the full-back that positions himself higher up the pitch, so having Kos cover Bellerin makes sense because he's quick and can cover the ground that Bellerin vacates.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
also because mustafi is better on the ball than Kos - having kos on LCB would be risky seeing as his field of play suddenly narrows due to his right-footedness and he's susceptible to high pressing.

mustafi is a better ball carrier and more assured on the ball, along with a better pass

Longy

One thing that hangs in my mind while we are talking about Auba and how we have missed pace, is that how often do we really move the ball quick enough to utilise pace ?

We usually move forward fairly slowly until we reach the the box where we then rely on tippy tapping stuff until we find an opening.

Hopefully we may see some good old fashioned break away goals going forward ?

Fallout

my recommendation is to start with the formation that's been working and re-assess from there ...

laca - auba - Özil
wilsh - mkhi
elneny
back 4
gk

i believe lacazette has the technical ability and work rate to play the wide forward role. he naturally likes to link up with players, and up top he is too isolated to be effective.

crucially, i want to play aubameyang in a role that is extremely familiar to him. sticking him on the right in some kind of walcott poacher role would be a mistake for me.

i'm interested to see what mkhi brings to the table. my impression is that he brings enough work rate to play in an advanced center midfield role, and i'd like to take granit out of there and move him deeper to compete with elneny.

i feel like aubameyang and lacazette could get a lot of goals flanked by all these creative players.

IslingtonBornandbred

I'm just struggling with the amount of fellow posters putting Lacazette as a left forward. Iwobi/Alexis usually pick the ball up around the halfway line, sometimes deeper, sometimes further forward. It's more a creator role anyway, and Lacazette has some downsides physically. There's no way he would/will be able to get up and down the left all game imo. So you are either asking him to remain on the left or float into the forward role, and if he does that, you then need to have a central midfielder covering him and being pulled out of position or/and ask him to run all the way back and cover when the opponents full back goes forward.

I thought Lacazette was a goal-scorer who needs chances in and around the box. Since when did he become an attacking midfielder? He doesn't have the legs imo to do anything other than play as a central forward. I'd be shocked if he starts a game in that position.

Longy

Lacazette and Auba staggered up front.
Özil free-ish from the right to middle. Allows more space for Bellerin to run
Xhaka and Jack disciplined and keeping ball moving.
Elneny sitting up base. (Hopefully an upgrade in summer)

Pretty exciting if they're allowed to be more direct.

Fallout

I'm just struggling with the amount of fellow posters putting Lacazette as a left forward. Iwobi/Alexis usually pick the ball up around the halfway line, sometimes deeper, sometimes further forward. It's more a creator role anyway, and Lacazette has some downsides physically. There's no way he would/will be able to get up and down the left all game imo. So you are either asking him to remain on the left or float into the forward role, and if he does that, you then need to have a central midfielder covering him and being pulled out of position or/and ask him to run all the way back and cover when the opponents full back goes forward.

I thought Lacazette was a goal-scorer who needs chances in and around the box. Since when did he become an attacking midfielder? He doesn't have the legs imo to do anything other than play as a central forward. I'd be shocked if he starts a game in that position.
ultimately we'll see, but i dont think lacazette turned out to be the goal poaching, pacey player we were advertised. i am pleasantly surprised by his technical game and he seems to enjoy the buildup. i can see him doing what iwobi does quite naturally, but with better end product. people were questioning Özil and even iwobi's work rate not too long ago. maybe lacazette can prove himself in that department also. i dont think he's been horrendous in the stamina department so far, but im watching from tv and not in the stands so...

diesel3390

ultimately we'll see, but i dont think lacazette turned out to be the goal poaching, pacey player we were advertised. i am pleasantly surprised by his technical game and he seems to enjoy the buildup. i can see him doing what iwobi does quite naturally, but with better end product. people were questioning Özil and even iwobi's work rate not too long ago. maybe lacazette can prove himself in that department also. i dont think he's been horrendous in the stamina department so far, but im watching from tv and not in the stands so...

Hi All. New member here.

To be fair Iwobi pisses me off. He's just a GOOD player. That's it. Good and nothing else. If Arsenal want to become elite again you can't be playing the likes of Iwobi and BLOODY BELLERIN. That guy has no end product. Always crosses the ball to an opponent's legs.

I think Lacazette has done really well. To be fair to him he's had sweet f**k in terms of service from his team. I bet he didn't sign up to this ****. Agree that he's got really good technical ability. I think if Auba comes in then he should be played side by side along Auba. Remember Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke. Two lethal strikers.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Ramsey doesn't feature much in any of these teams I've been reading. :lol:

Not a bad thing. Ramsey, Ox and Walcott's regular injuries have caused more disruption than Southern Rail.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Hi All. New member here.

To be fair Iwobi pisses me off. He's just a GOOD player. That's it. Good and nothing else. If Arsenal want to become elite again you can't be playing the likes of Iwobi and BLOODY BELLERIN. That guy has no end product. Always crosses the ball to an opponent's legs.

I think Lacazette has done really well. To be fair to him he's had sweet f**k in terms of service from his team. I bet he didn't sign up to this ****. Agree that he's got really good technical ability. I think if Auba comes in then he should be played side by side along Auba. Remember Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke. Two lethal strikers.

Hi Diesel. Welcome aboard! I agree with you that it would be a good move to pair Lacazette with Aubameyang up front. Lacazette was Player of the Year in Ligue 1 for Lyon when playing alongside N'Jie in a 4-4-2 diamond with Fekir in behind. I think he and Aubameyang would compliment each other well, especially with Özil and Mkhitaryan feeding them balls.

Iwobi ad Bellerin are still young (21 and 22, respectively). I think there's still a good chance they will develop into top players. Just need to be patient. I would expect Iwobi's playing time to drop with Micki in the team.

Wryer

I don't think we have the midfield to play both PEA and Laca in a 442. The most logical is a 352/343 with Özil behind them. Even that is going to be a marginal decision. You need an absolutely solid midfield that is defensively sound.

------------- Laca - Auba --------------
--------------------Özil---------------------
Kola - Xhaka - Wilshere - Bellerin
---WPOTY - Mustafi - Koscielny--

Yup I have left out Mhki.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

With Mkhitaryan now in the team after a few games he will be one of the regular starters or maybe straight away who knows. This will drop Iwobi back down to the bench for a bit & perhaps next year it may be a good idea to give Iwobi a year on loan to a championship side/lower PL side or the Bundesliga to further his development. He is a good player & got good potential just have to give him a bit of time.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Or we could just revel in the fact that Mikki is versatile, ambidextrous and is in fact an intelligent player that can adapt to many positions.

it means we can finally replace what we lost in cazorla - a player that can control a game, not panic under pressure and give the team lifeline and some breathing space. Özil, for all his creativity and guile, is a player of final third.

we no longer need to have a heart attack every time wilshere is lying on the pitch holding his ankle. it makes it easier on Özil, or even in replacing his creativity when he suddenly catches "cold" for one of those away matches, and reduces the pressure on iwobi to turn into de bruyne overnight.

i would love for us to (get CL football) and tie down Özil to a contract, but if we have to lose him, it won't be such an imppossible rebuilding task next summer. we could put all our eggs in the fekir/draxler basket and end up not losing that much overall quality.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Only way with Auba (if we get him) and Laca is both of them up top. Cant see either of them moving out to the wing a-la Walcott. In my opinion part of our lack of cutting edge is due to just having a single proper striker up top, it isnt working with Laca. Give those creative midfielders something to aim at. Even Xhaka can sit there from deep and spray long passes occasionally, thats what hes supposedly good at after all. Excited by the idea of a striking partnership again. Whether we see it in that way is a different matter.

Top Bottom