• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think they did, but their pressing, which Southampton likely practiced, was raw and unorganized. They tried to attack the ball to give us little space, but did it wrong and ended up giving us far too much space in other areas.
plus the fact that we were **** against Southamton...had no answers. we needed to be better.

If you want to see an anti-pressing team play, just watch how Man City played against us. They lost, but they were fantastic at times, in the way they escaped the press.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Analysis into our defeat at Southampton.

There are ways to bypass these tactics with the current available players I feel. We need to pay attention.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
I'd like for us to stop playing players out of position, don't really believe that playing on the wing makes you a better footballer if you're supposed to be a midfielder, would be nice if we let the players work and progress in the role they're expected to play in otherwise you get weird footballers making weird decisions in a role where it's not fitting they do those things.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I'd like for us to stop playing players out of position, don't really believe that playing on the wing makes you a better footballer if you're supposed to be a midfielder, would be nice if we let the players work and progress in the role they're expected to play in otherwise you get weird footballers making weird decisions in a role where it's not fitting they do those things.
agree sometimes is not work but sometimes injures force us doing that, but when a full fit team there is no need to do that.

CJJ

Established Member
This thread was far down, but i really wanted to say is that our defending at set-pieces this season has been brilliant. We've really stepped up in that regard.

Previous seasons i've dreaded the thought of opponents getting corners against us, but now i automatically assume we'll head it away.

On top of that i feel like we're more dangerous at set pieces(especially corners) compared to earlier.
Only criticism i still have in this regard, is that i think the delivery of the ball should be way more consistent.

But surely we must've put hours on the training ground as i can see a drastic improvement.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Love the blitz. Demoralize with one goal and then strike immediately again to kill the game. One of the best things we seem to do consistently.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
So today wasnt our best performance against Leicester, but that addition to our momentum is what counts most for me.

We still not there in terms of our conversion in the final third. Today I think Leicester missed a trick by not pressing us more aggressively, because our players do not handle that well.

Reactions: CJJ

BobP

Memri Fan
Ox's corners were great. whipped in ferociously, in need of a simple redirection header on target.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Having had time to analyze our performance in the Leicester game, I was disappointed with our overall performance in all honesty. Alexis and Giroud still don't really work together that well which is a concern, and they need to find a way to not get in each other's way when overloading.

Also, Coq-Ramsey as a duo do not work. They have 0 chemistry, neither of them is picking up off the CB, forcing Özil, Alexis and even Giroud further back to play passes inbetween the lines. Ox was our best player in transition both on the wing and when he played central, and Chambers' distribution was impressive when he came on albeit from CB.

Ramsey had a couple moments when he did decide to receive from deep and ended up creating at least one dangerous transition that I can remember. He doesn't do it often enough, and Coquelin clearly doesn't trust himself to do it either. I'm guessing this is what Wenger bought Elneny for. Elneny often splits the CBs and drops deep to collect and advance play from deep - every full match I've managed to download/view has seen him do exactly that.

This would enable us to beat a high press more consistently as there would be more bodies in deeper positions to circulate possession and create space in the middle 3rd - it would also enable us to have greater transitions and thus, more potent counter attacks. Our counters are too slow - Ramsey needs too many touches, Coquelin will choose the safe pass rather than the between-the-lines pass more often than not, and if Kos/Per can't find Özil, they have to resort to building up with the full-backs, which limits our ability to create overloads at the right times. Monreal is decent in this area and has Alexis down his side. Bellerin is the one who struggles because in tighter areas he is more susceptible, and I think he needs to trust his dribbling just a little bit more.

Finally, our positioning in possession and out of it really creates problems. It was easy for Leicester to create transitions, and even though they've been great at it this season, we should have seen it coming, especially for the penalty that lead to the goal. The spacing is all wrong, and - probably as a systematic issue stemming from Coq-Ramsey pivot - nobody is really creating the right shapes when we have the ball in order to have more effective possession.
It's something we really have to work on, and hopefully intelligent looking players like Elneny and Iwobi will be given an opportunity to do this effectively.

Jaywood Mac

our positioning in possession and out of it really creates problems. It was easy for Leicester to create transitions, and even though they've been great at it this season, we should have seen it coming, especially for the penalty that lead to the goal. The spacing is all wrong, and - probably as a systematic issue stemming from Coq-Ramsey pivot - nobody is really creating the right shapes when we have the ball in order to have more effective possession.
It's something we really have to work on, and hopefully intelligent looking players like Elneny and Iwobi will be given an opportunity to do this effectively.
I thought we dealt with Leicesters counters very well. They've torn teams apart this season on their breaks and yesterday the team arguably handled it better than anyone. When you're playing the top team in the league you're hardly gonna keep them quiet all game. Look at barca and Bayern and the chances they give up on the counter. When you look to dominate and play high up the pitch like arsenal barca Bayern do, its inevitable you'll be caught on the counter and considering we played a side that was perfectly set up to do it the team limited them massively to their credit.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I thought we dealt with Leicesters counters very well. They've torn teams apart this season on their breaks and yesterday the team arguably handled it better than anyone. When you're playing the top team in the league you're hardly gonna keep them quiet all game. Look at barca and Bayern and the chances they give up on the counter. When you look to dominate and play high up the pitch like arsenal barca Bayern do, its inevitable you'll be caught on the counter and considering we played a side that was perfectly set up to do it the team limited them massively to their credit.
In the time when it was 11 v 11, we did well to limit their counters but we still left more space in the middle 3rd than I would have liked to see, which gave Leicester potential opportunities. It was probably a good thing that Mahrez and Vardy were kept relatively quiet in one-on-one situations (bar the penalty) as it could have been a bad day for us if it didn't work. Monreal, outside of the penalty incident when he was isolated, actually had a very good game.

Our defending wasn't terrible on the day to be fair so I was a tad less concerned about that than I was about our build up play, which is what worried me more.

Chami

http://player.arsenal.com/matches/g803412/video/7390/the-breakdown-leicester-city-h

I really liked the tactical analysis at the beginning of the video. It really shows that we are much more clever in our approches of the game.

We are known to overload the center but in this title defining game we changed our play to exploit the opposite team weaknesses (narrow defence and lack of height).

A bit of the same regarding Vardy & Marhez marking, they didn't produce much during that game apart from the penalty.

I know that this year, we are less focused on having possession at all cost than before and that we counter more, but it seems to me that we kept overloading the middle again and again.

It's nice to see some wider attacking play for once, don't you think ?

As I couldn't watch much of the lastest Arsenal games since the start of year, I ask myself : was it a one time tactic or did we adapt to the opposition better overall ?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Having had time to analyze our performance in the Leicester game, I was disappointed with our overall performance in all honesty. Alexis and Giroud still don't really work together that well which is a concern, and they need to find a way to not get in each other's way when overloading.

Also, Coq-Ramsey as a duo do not work. They have 0 chemistry, neither of them is picking up off the CB, forcing Özil, Alexis and even Giroud further back to play passes inbetween the lines. Ox was our best player in transition both on the wing and when he played central, and Chambers' distribution was impressive when he came on albeit from CB.

Ramsey had a couple moments when he did decide to receive from deep and ended up creating at least one dangerous transition that I can remember. He doesn't do it often enough, and Coquelin clearly doesn't trust himself to do it either. I'm guessing this is what Wenger bought Elneny for. Elneny often splits the CBs and drops deep to collect and advance play from deep - every full match I've managed to download/view has seen him do exactly that.

This would enable us to beat a high press more consistently as there would be more bodies in deeper positions to circulate possession and create space in the middle 3rd - it would also enable us to have greater transitions and thus, more potent counter attacks. Our counters are too slow - Ramsey needs too many touches, Coquelin will choose the safe pass rather than the between-the-lines pass more often than not, and if Kos/Per can't find Özil, they have to resort to building up with the full-backs, which limits our ability to create overloads at the right times. Monreal is decent in this area and has Alexis down his side. Bellerin is the one who struggles because in tighter areas he is more susceptible, and I think he needs to trust his dribbling just a little bit more.

Finally, our positioning in possession and out of it really creates problems. It was easy for Leicester to create transitions, and even though they've been great at it this season, we should have seen it coming, especially for the penalty that lead to the goal. The spacing is all wrong, and - probably as a systematic issue stemming from Coq-Ramsey pivot - nobody is really creating the right shapes when we have the ball in order to have more effective possession.

Better analysis that what you see on TV...I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
If it's true that we're set up to play on the counter, then we're not very good at it. In every game we have so many opportunities to break only to then be dispossessed, lose momentum or play the wrong pass. I can't think of many goals we've scored this way either, which is a slight worry considering that's how we plan to set up vs Barca.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Interesting that we have four games in the top five of most shots inside the box. Shows we are really lacking that clinical finishing in our front-line.

Jazz

Interesting that we have four games in the top five of most shots inside the box. Shows we are really lacking that clinical finishing in our front-line.
Golly gee! Who would have though we needed an upgrade in the striking department? Maybe we should have brought in a striker this summer, or the window before that, or the window before that...

Baffles me how severely we've neglected such a vital position for so long, absolutely no excuses.

Top Bottom