• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Good read, shows again how poorly organized the team is.

The current batch of midfielders aren't good enough either, but without strict instructions it gets so bad that we can't even outplay Stoke at home. In recent seasons we had similar issues, but Santi was so clever and technically good, that he papered over the cracks a bit. Özil does the same now when he drops deeper to structure the build up play, but ideally you want Özil positioned higher up so he can make that killer pass in the final third.
The tragic part is that as I was reading I was reminded of the same situations in the Stoke game which constantly anger me and have me on the edge of my seat screaming at the TV. I do not claim to be some great tactician on the game but these are basic instructions the players are either ignoring or not receiving and I struggle to believe it is the latter.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
You could hear the fans round Radio 5 commentary team shouting similar points out mid game. Its a mess.

Sure its tactics but also player quality & pure athletic attributes at an all time low under Wenger.

Newchange

We dont even need 2 DMs we just need 1 and a CM who can actually pass and drive with the ball. Replace Santi & Coquelin with quality and we might just might start controlling games again

Infact give me Sevillas midfield Nzonzi - Banega and you'll see the difference

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
You could hear the fans round Radio 5 commentary team shouting similar points out mid game. Its a mess.

Sure its tactics but also player quality & pure athletic attributes at an all time low under Wenger.

Wenger is a confidence prioritizing manager first and foremost. He then adds high technical skill and believes that combination trumps all.

Even at our peak powers we were unable to win Europe’s greatest trophy or even defend the league. That’s what failure to plan to the T does I believe

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Was coming to post this. Nice one bru.

We look an absolute mess around the ball, here the author speaks about spacing but equally as bad for me is the static movement off the ball.

We need a tactical madman to come in and reorganize our positioning, shape and movement. Bring in Tuchel and give him some EQ training FFS
One if the sole reasons my uncle got me into this club was our pass and move style. I can't tell you the static off the ball play lately has killed my enthusiasm

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The lack of tactical plan has been clear for years, dropping quality of players is exposing it even more
We need a change of players and manager

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Wenger is a confidence prioritizing manager first and foremost. He then adds high technical skill and believes that combination trumps all.

Even at our peak powers we were unable to win Europe’s greatest trophy or even defend the league. That’s what failure to plan to the T does I believe
And part of that plan must include adapting your play by evolving tactics, particularly when defending a title. Tactics, in the modern game, evolve and get found out (for lack of flexibility and dynamism) on a very consistent basis. And yes, trax, if you're reading, that's down to influx if money in some levels

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
We dont even need 2 DMs we just need 1 and a CM who can actually pass and drive with the ball. Replace Santi & Coquelin with quality and we might just might start controlling games again

Infact give me Sevillas midfield Nzonzi - Banega and you'll see the difference

Can people get it into their thick skulls that Santi wasnt a Zidane and makelele love Child ?

Overated

No league or cl titles with him either...

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
The lack of tactical plan has been clear for years, dropping quality of players is exposing it even more
We need a change of players and manager

I wanna see our current players under another coach before they are written of

Except for neny and welbz the can go straight away

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I wanna see our current players under another coach before they are written of

Except for neny and welbz the can go straight away

El-Neny has been fine, no way we should get rid, he’s a squad player and a good one.

I do take your point though, overall quality does need to inprove

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...thampton-goals-tactics-analysis-a8295961.html

This talks about how a 4-4-2 diamond might be the way to go for us. I think it's more geared to this season rather than the future cos it accommodates Wilshere and leaves out Mkhi due to his injury. I think once Mkhi is fit he has to be in the team, in which case a narrow 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 would be better.

The good thing about having the options of Aubameyang, Lacazette & Welbeck is that you can make a striker pairing out of them, but if one or even two get injured you can always just switch to a one striker system in their absence, it's not the end of the world.

I think Ramsey-Xhaka could work as the CM pairing in that formation for some games, but it really needs another high quality midfielder to supplement it.

HBL

Established Member
Definitley plays to our strengths. Would have to get more out of Bellerin for it to work though because contrary to what the article says he isn’t ‘such a good, attacking full back.’

Posted in another thread a couple of days ago, in attack it would look more like a 4321 and in defence we could slot into more of a narrow 442 leaving Aubameyang and Lacazette furthest forward. With Mkhi slotting in as a third cm, his defensive capabilities have alredy impressed me and Özil sitting in front of the three. Could be devastating on the counter.

Newchange

We still need to get the ball through the lines quicker from back to front. A CM who can drive through the middle or a more technical CM Santiesque who can pick a pass. Either way our slow build up play needs to be addressed

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
We still need to get the ball through the lines quicker from back to front. A CM who can drive through the middle or a more technical CM Santiesque who can pick a pass. Either way our slow build up play needs to be addressed
Big shame that a prime Wilshere would fit both those criteria.

emilursin

Need to do something about our defending, during the break in the Southampton game the Studio showed a table called Goals Conceeded from Personal Errors, we where leading that table with a total of 14!! Teams like United and city had 3-4

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Looks very impressive from his highlights reel, what would he cost? is he much better then the lad at watford?

It seems a bit complicated because he's currently on loan at Lyon from Amiens but Lyon will have the option to buy him for something like 10m euro in the summer, which they will definitely do. So we could offer to buy him straight after from Lyon and they'd turn a profit, but they could also demand a lot of money, maybe £30m or more.

I'd say he has a similar style to Doucoure in that they're both all-action box-to-box players, but Ndombele's technique is better and he probably has a higher ceiling. I love what Doucoure has done this season but it's sometimes hard to know whether he's genuinely top quality or if he's just had a very good season. So I'd take Ndombele overall.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom