• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Newchange

It seems a bit complicated because he's currently on loan at Lyon from Amiens but Lyon will have the option to buy him for something like 10m euro in the summer, which they will definitely do. So we could offer to buy him straight after from Lyon and they'd turn a profit, but they could also demand a lot of money, maybe £30m or more.

I'd say he has a similar style to Doucoure in that they're both all-action box-to-box players, but Ndombele's technique is better and he probably has a higher ceiling. I love what Doucoure has done this season but it's sometimes hard to know whether he's genuinely top quality or if he's just had a very good season. So I'd take Ndombele overall.

Sounds very complicated. Its not really our style to get involved with this kind of deal. Absolute steal for Lyon at 10m euro. Although the same applies for Ndombele in terms of is he genuinely top quality or if he's just had a very good season.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Sounds very complicated. Its not really our style to get involved with this kind of deal. Absolute steal for Lyon at 10m euro. Although the same applies for Ndombele in terms of is he genuinely top quality or if he's just had a very good season.

True, we don't tend to like any deal that requires us to do much heavy lifting. I suppose so, but Doucoure is 25 while Ndombele is 21. Ndombele is also performing for a bigger club than Watford. So it's more likely that Ndombele has real quality, though these things are never an exact science.

TriniGunner

We dont even need 2 DMs we just need 1 and a CM who can actually pass and drive with the ball. Replace Santi & Coquelin with quality and we might just might start controlling games again

Infact give me Sevillas midfield Nzonzi - Banega and you'll see the difference

No amount of players could make up for Wenger's lack of being a proper tactical manager. The minute we get a manager that focuses on tactics, team preparation and overall positional awareness for his players we'd see a much better team.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Do we even have a style anymore ?

Apart from lousy how would you describe how we play ?

No identity

Even in the past when we didn't win we had a style, a way we played. even the old pass our way into goal was a style

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Do we even have a style anymore ?

Apart from lousy how would you describe how we play ?

No identity

Even in the past when we didn't win we had a style, a way we played. even the old pass our way into goal was a style
Pass our way into goal was so beautiful to watch. I hope we’d play that style of football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fallout

we need to prioritize defensive solidity, because imo it's unlikely we'll score a load of goals. we also need to make sure mustafi and wilshere don't see the pitch because they are in awful form. i'd go 5-2-3 for this and try to replicate what we did in our performances vs chelsea.

welbeck - lacazette - Özil
xhaka - ramsey
kolasinac - monreal - koscielny - chambers - bellerin
cech

if mhkitaryan comes back for the second leg, we can shuffle things around depending on how the above team performs.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Id go with a 4141 which can turn into a 451 or 433, with Lacazette and Ramsey interchanging between midfield and attack.

Minimal spaces between our lines, we need to remain compact, with our players giving away zero spaces between our lines, creating proper triangles to build with. This in both attack and defense, so we can still have a high line unfortunately.

One touch, purposeful passing is required, with midfield control in numbers (Özil, Mkhi, Elneny, AMN) with Laca and Ramsey interchanging as the front man.

We cannot afford dwellers on the ball, and Wilshere is not in the best form, so I drop him to the bench.

Mustafi is too error prone to be risked for these ties, so Im going with Holding to partner Kos. He would also help with the ball over our midfield, something we have been prone to.

-----------------Ramsey
Mkhitaryan---Özil----Elneny-----Lacazette
-----------------AMN
Monreal----Kos----Holding----Bellerin
------------------Cech

HBL

Established Member
If Mkhi is back, I’d probably go with this:

Mkhi - Lacazette - Özil
Ramsey
Xhaka - Elneny
Monreal - Kosc - Chambers - Bellerin
Cech​

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

1. To get out of that pressing. I would set up a back 3 (plus 2 wing backs) with 2 CM in front.
To have a back 3. Our keeper would have one more passing option. The 2 CM are there to offer options for the back 3 and bring the ball to our AM.

2. To break their compact defence in central area will be tough, so we have to utilise the space on both flanks. In order to do that, we have to have a CM who can switch the play quickly before Atletico can adjust. And to exploit the wide areas, we have to play wingers as well as wing backs. It’d be ideal to have someone good with header in the striker role, since low cross is less likely to work when the box is packed with defenders.

3. To deal with their counter, both of our CM should always be in position, playing with discipline. We’d play wingers so our wing back do not have to do all the the work on their own. It’d be good to have wingers helping to defence against overlaps.

Lacazette - Welbeck - Mkhi
Özil
Monreal - Xhaka - Elneny - Bellerin
Mustafi - Kosc - Chambers
Cech​
With 12 players on the pitch we might have a chance.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Like, what's the plan?

Were Aubameyang and Lacazette starting together yesterday because that's a long-term idea, or was it just the happenstance of this Europa League rotation malarkey?

When I saw Auba at LW on the team sheet I was hoping he'd really be more up front, but he was pretty much a wide player. That cannot be a long-term strategy, sure? He needs to be more central. Either you say we're playing with one central striker and it's either Auba or Laca, or you have two central strikers and find a system to fit that. But squeezing both of them into the traditional 4-2-3-1 thing is ridiculous.

If Allegri came to this club I guarantee he'd do one of two things. He'd either look at our forward options and play a defensively solid 3-5-2 to accommodate them with width from the wing-backs while investing in new centre-backs, or he'd simply drop Lacazette to the bench.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
There's such a lack of clarity in our tactics. Some managers change formations etc but you're confident that there's a considered reason behind it. It just seems like we lurch from one thing to another based purely on reacting to problems, instead of proactively setting down a system.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
We went from 4 at the back to 3 at the back last season cos we were sh*t defensively, continued that this season and then returned to 4 at the back. At no point were we any less sh*t defensively.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Like, what's the plan?

Were Aubameyang and Lacazette starting together yesterday because that's a long-term idea, or was it just the happenstance of this Europa League rotation malarkey?

When I saw Auba at LW on the team sheet I was hoping he'd really be more up front, but he was pretty much a wide player. That cannot be a long-term strategy, sure? He needs to be more central. Either you say we're playing with one central striker and it's either Auba or Laca, or you have two central strikers and find a system to fit that. But squeezing both of them into the traditional 4-2-3-1 thing is ridiculous.

If Allegri came to this club I guarantee he'd do one of two things. He'd either look at our forward options and play a defensively solid 3-5-2 to accommodate them with width from the wing-backs while investing in new centre-backs, or he'd simply drop Lacazette to the bench.

You been watching Allegri's team lately?

Some carthouse of a footballer named Manzdukic plays on the left and he was supposedly a striker before.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
You been watching Allegri's team lately?

Some carthouse of a footballer named Manzdukic plays on the left and he was supposedly a striker before.

Manzdukic, as much as I like him as a player, is no Aubameyang, he gets through a lot of work out wide which is useful in big games. I highly doubt Allegri would have Auba playing LW if he could avoid it. Also I think he played Manzdukic as the central striker at the weekend.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Like, what's the plan?

Its just awful transfer strategy & then trying to make the best out of it. Nothing suggests either play better in a pair or are well suited to each other.

Aubameyang looks on another level ability wise & has that pace to stretch a team... Putting him out wide & the inferior striker up top is very Arsenal 2018. Hopefully we can recoup some of the Lacazette fee & strengthen the team this summer with players that fit.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Whether it's Wenger or a new manager, someone has to have the balls to make a decision on this, we can't keep on fudging our tactics. Either decide that Lacazette is important enough to play with Aubameyang and play them both up front in a system that accommodates that, or have the balls to tell Lacazette he'll have to compete with Aubameyang for one central spot.

HBL

Established Member
They only start together if we play 442. Not willing to play Aubameyang as a LM just so we can play both. Aubameyang thrived in a front three at Dortmund. 4321 is the way to go with Özil & Ramsey playing ahead of a pure dm. Sign a flair player for the front three, someone like Martial/Bailey would be ideal. Would be even better if someone like Nelson has a Rashford like break through between now and the end of the season but that seems unlikely.

Aubameyang
Martial - Mkhitaryan
Özil - Ramsey
Wouldn’t mind play Aubameyang from the left in this formation occasionally. Lacazette would still get plenty of game time.

Top Bottom