• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
i like your set up but i think a double pivot is more sure that a man midfield in xhaka, the defense wouldn't need to cope if the combative toriera is us to cover shield them
———————-—Laca——Auba
————Özil————————————Mkhi
——————Xhaka/Nzonzi—Torreira

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Xhaka is not a DM
I went with what I think is most logical, going forward Xhaka should be the last of those players going in order from striker down, I'd much rather he sat back a bit no point having him get too high up the pitch most of the time, I'm considering him more as a deep playmaker than a defensive mid.

———————-—Laca——Auba
————Özil————————————Mkhi
——————Xhaka/Nzonzi—Torreira

And I don't like Özil wide, I think a diamond suits the individual players better, but that's my personal opinion.

I would want all four midfielders to put in work defending, but Özil I'd prefer help press the players on the opposition pitch, defend from the front, I'd give him some slack going backwards.

Last edited:

TheArsenalis

I went with what I think is most logical, going forward Xhaka should be the last of those players going in order from striker down, I'd much rather he sat back a bit no point having him get too high up the pitch most of the time, I'm considering him more as a deep playmaker than a defensive mid.

And I don't like Özil wide, I think a diamond suits the individual players better, but that's my personal opinion.

I would want all four midfielders to put in work defending, but Özil I'd prefer help press the players on the opposition pitch, defend from the front, I'd give him some slack going backwards.
...............auba.....lacazette.......
......................Özil.....................

........xhaka............ramsey......
..................torierra..................
LB......CB.................CB........RB
.....................GK.......................

Nyctophobia

Established Member

That works too, biggest reason I put Xhaka in the back is because he's a bit slow, unlike our other options.

Torreira seems like the most complete midfielder we'll have had in a long time, reading about him sounds like he could play any of those midfield roles actually.

Wryer

I feel 4231 would be much more balanced. Xhaka need space for function so there's really not much point in having him higher than Torreira. Furthermor, his biggest attribute is his long range distribution.

-------------- Auba ---------------
Dribbler ----- Özil ----- Mkhi
-------- Xhaka -------- Torreira
Nacho - Musta - Papa - Bellerin
------------------ Leno -------------------

Subs: Cech, Chambers, Liech, Iwobi, Laca, Ramsey, Welbeck

Reserves: Neny, Mavro, AMN, Nelson, et al

Good looking match day squad?
We should be putting all our focus in a new winger.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I feel 4231 would be much more balanced. Xhaka need space for function so there's really not much point in having him higher than Torreira. Furthermor, his biggest attribute is his long range distribution.

-------------- Auba ---------------
Dribbler ----- Özil ----- Mkhi
-------- Xhaka -------- Torreira
Nacho - Musta - Papa - Bellerin
------------------ Leno -------------------

Subs: Cech, Chambers, Liech, Iwobi, Laca, Ramsey, Welbeck

Reserves: Neny, Mavro, AMN, Nelson, et al

Good looking match day squad?
We should be putting all our focus in a new winger.
thats my guess when all fit, with Ramsey in of course.

Wryer

thats my guess when all fit, with Ramsey in of course.
Instead of Xhaka I suppose. Yea that was the hard choice.

But I've kind of come to the conclusion that we lacked control in our game, and in that respect, Xhaka would be a better starter.

If anything, if I have to start Ramsey, i might put Ramsey on the right instead of Mkhi. Weird call I know but I feel it's a nice trade off because of his goals potential vs risky plays.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I'd go with when all the team are fit:

-----------Lacazette -------------
PEA ----- Özil ----- Mkhi
-- Xhaka ---- Torreira
Kola- Musta - Papa - Litchtsteiner
----------------Leno -------------------

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
--------------------PEA------------
-------Mkhi------------------------Özil
--------Xhaka---Ramsey----Torreira
Monreal----Mustafi----Sokratis-----Bellerin
----------------------Leno----------------------

Lacazette, Perez, Maitland-Niles, Lichtsteiner, Kolasinac, Chambers, Cech

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
So it's early days and we have no idea how everything will really unfold, but all of a sudden it looks like we have a lot of options in midfield. From what I've heard Guendouzi might be able to slot into the senior squad straight away, in which case our options are Xhaka, Ramsey, Torreira, Elneny, AMN & Guendouzi. I imagine Willock might need more time or a loan before he can figure.

What's interesting is that arguably five of those six could feasibly play a defensive role. So in terms of establishing a solid midfield there's a lot to choose from. There are a lot of good passers there, there are some good legs and there are even goals. I suppose the one thing it lacks is an absolute powerhouse, but that's not the end of the world.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
--------Xhaka---Ramsey----Torreira

For me that team lacks goals. You’re going to need Mkhi, Özil and Ramsey to get 10-15 each (in the league) which isn’t likely.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
--------Xhaka---Nzonzi----Torreira

This is better

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
So it's early days and we have no idea how everything will really unfold, but all of a sudden it looks like we have a lot of options in midfield. From what I've heard Guendouzi might be able to slot into the senior squad straight away, in which case our options are Xhaka, Ramsey, Torreira, Elneny, AMN & Guendouzi. I imagine Willock might need more time or a loan before he can figure.

What's interesting is that arguably five of those six could feasibly play a defensive role. So in terms of establishing a solid midfield there's a lot to choose from. There are a lot of good passers there, there are some good legs and there are even goals. I suppose the one thing it lacks is an absolute powerhouse, but that's not the end of the world.
Guendouzi and Willock could grow into that "powerhouse", or at least that midfielder who is able to dribble and push the ball forward while holding off harassing defenders.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
For me that team lacks goals. You’re going to need Mkhi, Özil and Ramsey to get 10-15 each (in the league) which isn’t likely.
Having more skills/technical players would create more chance, more beautiful play, more possession, more space for the team to attack.
So the team will score more as a whole.
Having a pure finisher or a goal scoring midfielder does not help to achieve the above. Because all they do is scoring, we would be 2 men down in the buildup play.

field442

Trusted ⭐
Having more skills/technical players would create more chance, more beautiful play, more possession, more space for the team to attack.
So the team will score more as a whole.
Having a pure finisher or a goal scoring midfielder does not help to achieve the above. Because all they do is scoring, we would be 2 men down in the buildup play.
Replacing Mkhitaryan with Lacazette isn’t doing that much damage to the team. As we’ve already established, all he really lacks is “skills” in comparison to Mkhitaryan. He creates as many chances, he plays as many key passes and you have the added benefit of him scoring two or three times as many goals.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Replacing Mkhitaryan with Lacazette isn’t doing that much damage to the team. As we’ve already established, all he really lacks is “skills” in comparison to Mkhitaryan. He creates as many chances, he plays as many key passes and you have the added benefit of him scoring two or three times as many goals.
how about indirect contribution? possession? Through pass? Dribble pass defenders?....

field442

Trusted ⭐
how about indirect contribution? possession? Through pass? Dribble pass defenders?....

You don’t think he does any of that? Mkhitaryan averages slightly more take ons per game but Lacazette has a better success rate. Lacazette plays through balls. Both have a similar pass completion rate (Lacazette plays less passes per game but he has been playing as a striker so will naturally see less of the ball).

Zyrth

That works too, biggest reason I put Xhaka in the back is because he's a bit slow, unlike our other options.

Torreira seems like the most complete midfielder we'll have had in a long time, reading about him sounds like he could play any of those midfield roles actually.
But if we do field xhaka as our deepest midfielder the same problems we’ve seen will just repeat itself. Xhaka isn’t a bad player per se but it’s not his strong suit to receive passes from the CBs. Torreira has that quality so as mobile as he may be to play as our defensive b2b, I’d suspect he’ll be deployed as our deepest midfielder.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom