• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Nyctophobia

Established Member
But if we do field xhaka as our deepest midfielder the same problems we’ve seen will just repeat itself. Xhaka isn’t a bad player per se but it’s not his strong suit to receive passes from the CBs. Torreira has that quality so as mobile as he may be to play as our defensive b2b, I’d suspect he’ll be deployed as our deepest midfielder.
I think it could work with Xhaka there, since we haven't gotten to see how this team behaves differently under Emery compared to Wenger; I like to think that several of our players will positively surprise us with how good they really are, however that remains to be seen.

But to be honest I doubt we'll see us play a 4-4-2 or any two man striker formation at all, it's just what I would like to see, but there's a lot of more knowledgeable people in the business who don't apply it and probably for a good reason.

So it'll be very interesting to see what we do.

mug

wump
I'm enjoying seeing how many different setups are being proposed and they all look good to me.
There always seem to be one elite player you'd like to see play, having to be left out (often Mkhi or Ramsey). We have a bit of depth.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
That works too, biggest reason I put Xhaka in the back is because he's a bit slow, unlike our other options.

Torreira seems like the most complete midfielder we'll have had in a long time, reading about him sounds like he could play any of those midfield roles actually.
I think your bang on if its a three man midfield.

Makes no sense narrowing Xhakas passing angles & expecting him to be the runner. Sure he has been a liability at times but hopefully the extra man will help with this & the fact its a very good mobile tackler.

Also less pressure on Torreira first season in a new league with a slightly freer role.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
But if we do field xhaka as our deepest midfielder the same problems we’ve seen will just repeat itself. Xhaka isn’t a bad player per se but it’s not his strong suit to receive passes from the CBs. Torreira has that quality so as mobile as he may be to play as our defensive b2b, I’d suspect he’ll be deployed as our deepest midfielder.
Not sure this is true. This was his bread and butter at Gladbach, dropping in and splitting the CBs and receiving the ball. It might not work as well if he's pressed but Torreira being capable of doing the same thing can give Xhaka more room. It definitely widens our options.

Zyrth

Not sure this is true. This was his bread and butter at Gladbach, dropping in and splitting the CBs and receiving the ball. It might not work as well if he's pressed but Torreira being capable of doing the same thing can give Xhaka more room. It definitely widens our options.
Which is true too I suppose. Especially when his midfield partner goes on a walkabout at the other business end of the pitch, xhaka is left alone with more than 1 opponents looking to press him once he receives the ball.

But compared him to torreira (from compilations), I’ve noticed that torreira more often than not looks to turn or at least is geared up to take on the presser. Kind of different to the way xhaka receives passes imo.

Divided_Pie

Somebody I think posted this in another thread. It gives a really good perspective on Emery's use of tactics/personnel, particularly in regards to the central midfield. Obviously the players are different at Arsenal, but given the current team the evidence in this video points to a 4-3-3, with Xhaka in the Motta role, Torreira in the Verrati role, and Ramsey in the Rabiot role.

IMO Torreira fits, but Xhaka (defensive awareness, press resistance) and Ramsey (positional discipline, technical ability) are less than ideal. Özil would also be pushed out wide, again not ideal. Lastly, aside from perhaps Mkhi Arsenal have no attackers that can take men on 1v1 like Mbappe and especially Neymar.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Lastly, aside from perhaps Mkhi Arsenal have no attackers that can take men on 1v1 like Mbappe and especially Neymar.
Interesting then, that we played Auba/Laca interchanging between being out wide and up front, as they can take on their man. Niles also seemed very comfortable taking on his man.

Granted, poor level of opposition, but makes me wonder if we'll play Mkhi/Özil out wide. Yesterday seemed set up to a system where Özil could slot in the middle, with Ramsey being more disciplined than usual.

TheArsenalis

Somebody I think posted this in another thread. It gives a really good perspective on Emery's use of tactics/personnel, particularly in regards to the central midfield. Obviously the players are different at Arsenal, but given the current team the evidence in this video points to a 4-3-3, with Xhaka in the Motta role, Torreira in the Verrati role, and Ramsey in the Rabiot role.

IMO Torreira fits, but Xhaka (defensive awareness, press resistance) and Ramsey (positional discipline, technical ability) are less than ideal. Özil would also be pushed out wide, again not ideal. Lastly, aside from perhaps Mkhi Arsenal have no attackers that can take men on 1v1 like Mbappe and especially Neymar.

Yeah during emeri time at psg. Draxler when used was a central AM more often. But he wasn't used very often.

Draxler is by nature a forward. Emeri used a mid 3 of good technical players none that are out n out attacking players. All of them you can say they are central mid players, with a little bit of different things about them.
I think emeri likes these players. Torreira is very much his type of player, in the veratti/matuidi form with high energy good passing able release players. Playing alongside motta/rabiol the calm head linking attack and defence, i can see xhaka playing that role already.

Whats interesting is the Özil ramsey situations. How does he plan to fit them in. Will Özil be outwide or fitted in centrally? If its centrally he would have to work hard like an actually midfielder. I think ramsey is more suitable in what emeri use to using in his midfield than Özil.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Ramsey - Torreira - Xhaka

giphy.gif

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If it's a formation like that then I find it hard to see Xhaka in the team. If we're playing with one holding player it'll probably be either Torreira or Xhaka, most likely Torreira as he has the greater attributes to play there. I also don't like Xhaka more advanced, so we could see Ramsey and Özil in those positions with a front three of Aubameyang-Lacazette-Mkhitaryan. That's why I'd guess if it is that formation.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Emery's vision is starting to take shape imo. Maitland-Niles and Smith-Rowe are clearly seen as backup interior midfielders. Nelson and Iwobi backup wide players, while Iwobi and Mkhitaryan can both play as interior midfielders too. Hard to see a role for Elneny at this point unless we alternate between 4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 in the latter formation Elneny and Guendouzi being backups for Xhaka-Torreira in that case. I think Guendouzi is also versatile enough to play as an interior midfielder perhaps.

At this stage I don't think a diamond is an idea he has at all despite it being favoured with a lot of supporters.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He has done well to find a formation that fits in so many of our bigger players.

Half expect us to sign Nzonzi now as well. Seems too much pressure on Torreira to perform both from day one & week in week out.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
4 1 2 2 1 is a good set up for us. Realistically I see us with the following players in the squad come next season.

Leno
Cech
Martinez

Belerin
Lichtsteiner

Sokratis
Chambers
Mustafi
Holding
Mavropanos

Kolasinac
Monreal

Xhaka
Guendouzi
El-Neny

Ramsey
Torreira
Mkhi
AMN
ESR aka the London De Bruyne

Özil
Auba (I know but don't flame me for putting him here as this is where he'll play)
Iwobi
Welbeck
Nelson

Laca
Nketiah

You may have space for one more attacking player behind the striker e.g. An out and out winger. However, this is still quite a chunky squad and we would need rid of:
Jenkinson, Akpom, Perez, Ospina and Campbell. Plus loans for Willock, Sheaf and Jordi O-T. ESR and/or Nelson and a centre half would get one in Jan (if Koscielny proves fitness).

... However, I'm all for hoarding central players and it looks quality at centre mid from where I'm sitting. I think the formation suits the squad well.

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Emery's vision is starting to take shape imo. Maitland-Niles and Smith-Rowe are clearly seen as backup interior midfielders. Nelson and Iwobi backup wide players, while Iwobi and Mkhitaryan can both play as interior midfielders too. Hard to see a role for Elneny at this point unless we alternate between 4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 in the latter formation Elneny and Guendouzi being backups for Xhaka-Torreira in that case. I think Guendouzi is also versatile enough to play as an interior midfielder perhaps.

At this stage I don't think a diamond is an idea he has at all despite it being favoured with a lot of supporters.

I don't think it's taking shape at all. I think he is doing a very good job of keeping everyone guessing. He has played a 4 3 3, a 4251 and a 352 so far. However his comments about Özil give a clue to his thinking. There is only a 10 yard dfference in Auba s positioning that changes the formation. What is important is how you press and whether they can effect the game from that position. He said that he played Özil in the 10 to make him feel comfortable. He also said he can play on the right to open up the space for Bellerin.

Just from watching our pre season you can place who would be our most influential players offensively in order.

Özil
Mhiki
Auba
Laca
Guendozi

To me it's pretty obvious that if you have those two strikers and you want to press in a 4 4 2 and you want your wide players to come off the wing to allow the full backs to get forward, and you want a passer to play through the lines, then the best way to play is a 4 2 2 2. I'm literally going by what he said post PSG game.

---------------Auba----------Laca

Mhiki---Xhaka/Dozi-Torreira/AMN--Özil

That set up is the best for pressing, it is the best for midfield stability, it also allows us to rotate that front four throughout a game .

This team doesnt need Ramsey.

Top Bottom