• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

N@th@n

--------------------Leno-----------------------
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Lichtsteiner

---------Torreira ----------Ramsey-----------

---------------------Özil------------------------

Welbeck --------Lacezette-----Aubameyang

Game for this. The pace on the counter in that side would scare Chelsea.

Not sure about Mkhi and Özil together against the bigger teams because they don't run in behind and aren't physical enough defensively to do the job so should only start one.

Danny isn't a great footballer but he is useful against big teams. It's how Fergie used him and we have creativity, pace and movement with the other three so all he needs to do is work his socks off (which he always does) and be quick enough to play on the counter (which he is). He is actually a decent ball carrier as well just doesn't know what to do when he gets in the final third which is what the other 3 are for.

Any of Ramsey, Xhaka or Guendouzi could play with Torreira. For me they all have different faults so its a toss up between them.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Similar patterns.

You can see that PSG have that extra bit of quality, though its difficult to say if our players would be confident enough to play some of those passes, considering our only competitive match so far has been against City.

Beautiful, I love how the team was compressing when the passing options were required, but then would quickly spread out once free from the press.

I also love how the players were constantly looking for avenues to get out rather than going back all the time.

I still think variation is important; we need to play accurate long balls sometimes, but play it short other times; the variation makes us more unpredictable and that leads to our opposition being unsure if they should press or sit back.

Game for this. The pace on the counter in that side would scare Chelsea.

Not sure about Mkhi and Özil together against the bigger teams because they don't run in behind and aren't physical enough defensively to do the job so should only start one.

Danny isn't a great footballer but he is useful against big teams. It's how Fergie used him and we have creativity, pace and movement with the other three so all he needs to do is work his socks off (which he always does) and be quick enough to play on the counter (which he is). He is actually a decent ball carrier as well just doesn't know what to do when he gets in the final third which is what the other 3 are for.

Any of Ramsey, Xhaka or Guendouzi could play with Torreira. For me they all have different faults so its a toss up between them.

Yep, I agree about Danny, and it's really about getting our most effective players in close to their best position, whilst benefiting the team the most. Ramsey, Özil, Lacazette and for the most part Aubameyang are all in favoured or familiar positions.

For me Ramsey sitting deeper means he can get late runs into the box and can support the press like Guendouzi did.

The big thing is whether Özil can support the press; and I believe he can do it, he put in much more effort that Mkhi in the City imo and will press if asked to.

Danny is perfect for Emery's system because he works tirelessly and will press as opposed to Mkhitaryan (who severely disappointed me). We sacrifice the magic and creativity but it's not really like we had much of that against $hitty with Mkhitaryan anyway, and like you said he has pace.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Didn't we sort of "play out from the back" under Wenger anyway? The way everyone's talking in the media etc you'd think we've been a long ball team these past 20 years and we're having to adjust to this newfangled contraption. Pff, pretty f*cking sure Wenger introduced the PL to "playing out from the back".

Didn't we sort of "play out from the back" under Wenger anyway? The way everyone's talking in the media etc you'd think we've been a long ball team these past 20 years and we're having to adjust to this newfangled contraption. Pff, pretty f*cking sure Wenger introduced the PL to "playing out from the back".

No we did not. Cech was most often instructed to kick it long when the ball went back. Even against lesser teams.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
We did do it, but the structure was very different. Wenger used the backline a lot more, often the CBs had greater responsibility in possession while the midfielders would often push up the field. It helped that we usually had decent passers at CB for a lot of the time we did this. The full-backs became more key to the build up aswell as time passed, in fact one particular tactic was for Sczeszny to loft it up to Sagna from a backpass and continue to advance play. Sagna won an extraordinary amount of aerial duels for a full-back so it was a tactic that used to work sometimes.

Also, in the early days of Wenger, we counter attacked really fast, so our build-ups weren't always as drawn out as they were in the later stages of his reign.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah we did and we looked a lot smoother in possession a lot of the time Xhaka would drop between the centrebacks during games last season . With Cazorla at DLP the passing through middle was super quick at times . Then again people were clamouring for Santi in that perioid to be replaced in the middle by Ramsey.

Last edited:

Read a few comments yesterday that we were playing high line but not pressing.

Why are front players not pressing? Is it Miki and Özil attitude towards the defensive game? Or are we just not yet comfortable with pressing high? Still a lot of drills needed to be done?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Why are front players not pressing? Is it Miki and Özil attitude towards the defensive game? Or are we just not yet comfortable with pressing high? Still a lot of drills needed to be done?
Our front players lack the cohesion, stamina, pace and determination to press properly. I've seen Giroud press GK's into errors with a short quick burst, persistence and tenacity. We need to work harder.

Xanth

Pressing is very much dependent on team cohesion. The reason high-pressing teams that don't work quite well acquire reputations for being defensively bad or fragile is that when a system like that is exposed, it leaves acres of space for the opposition to attack. Look at Liverpool in the 2015/16 season and the first half of the 2016/17 season. I'm pretty sure they conceded the least number of shots but also conceded lots of big chances. Each player has to fully commit to it.

pikey2000

Our pressing game needs massive work, we appear to be attempting it but we only seem to have a 1 for 1 pressing system i.e they take 1 man each, which means it only takes 1 man to fail to press his man (Özil/mhki/iwobi) and it all falls down because the opposition have an out ball.

When i watch the likes of City and even Chelsea they press the man with the ball in packs, quite a few times our men have the ball and if they dwell too long they have 2 or 3 men around them harassing them into playing the ball backwards / making a mistake, we need to do more of that type of pressing rather than the man for man approach we seem to take.

I'm no expert on tactics and pressing but thats the difference between us and them as far as I can see anyway

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

They don't know how to press or when to go . None of them go together . I swear we pressed better under Wenger or maybe that was just Alexis.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
They don't know how to press or when to go . None of them go together . I swear we pressed better under Wenger or maybe that was just Alexis.
It was Alexis who pressed while Giroud and Özil didn't have a clue what to do. I still remember how pissed Alexis was when he was running all the time and when he looked back, nobody else was pressing with him.

I don't think Emery will insist on pressing this season with this squad, Özil and Mikhy at 30 are not capable anymore, and Guendouzi is not that energetic to press. After 2 years with Emery, we will have a clear picture how he wants to defend and attack. Currently, he is just using this weird squad the best way possible but it's to hard.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Without mentioning ANY specific players

I want us to lineup

Or

Someone gets dropped in any of those, but we need rotation to so no worries anyway

More players gets dropped in a 4231
(atleast the ones I want to play)

3 men flat midfield is good for several of our players they get to play to their strengths more.
I dont want one of the 3 to be CDM behind I want them to work in tandem and give 1-2 at the time freedom to go forward or out

We see too much of our players weaknesses in a 4231 IMO and we are susceptible to get overrun in CM

433/4312 we would not be short quality wise for rotation
Most people agree we lack atleast one quality winger for 4231

Any 4231 lineup will have one if nit more emergency solutions

I could also see a regular 3412 but we are Kinda short on cbs for that, got the Wingbacks for it thou and the issues that are there for the 2 cms in a 4231 is not as dangerous with 3 cbs behind them and wingbacks as options.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Another short vid from the same guy as last week highlighting some of the positives in our offence especially in the latter stages of the first half. Nothing groundbreaking, just players making good runs and getting into good positions.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Also, in the early days of Wenger, we counter attacked really fast, so our build-ups weren't always as drawn out as they were in the later stages of his reign.

Should do that again at times
Got the fastest winger/striker in the league with Auba
Fastest RB in Bellerin

Özil can atleast move over wast areas

Both Laca and Iwobi can hold the ball up well

Top Bottom