• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

pikey2000

Should do that again at times
Got the fastest winger/striker in the league with Auba
Fastest RB in Bellerin

Özil can atleast move over wast areas

Both Laca and Iwobi can hold the ball up well

Certainly have the speed and guile to counter but I worry about sitting deep and inviting teams onto us in order to counter, can see us inviting them onto us and conceding more foten than not

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Posters writing of this or that player are kinda going ahead of themselves

We have yet to see them in a thouroughly organized team

Emery isnt there yet

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
The manager talked more about our formation options ahead of West Ham.

"Saturday is another match, tactically it will be different," he said.

"It will be demanding and I want to have more control to find the win in this match. We are working on different situations tactically.

"In the first we are playing with four at the back, then we have two and one, and one and two.

"With two and one, it is like a 4-2-3-1 and one, two, is for a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-3-3. We have players who train in this system. The moment on the pitch is different. If we need to improve in this mobility, the quality is very important, but also how the player is moving on the pitch.

"I think with two systems, we can continue to progress and think about winning the next match."

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is the right idea IMO. Having two clearly defined systems widens our scope in terms of how we can hurt teams. The midfield area in particular can benefit from this considering how vast the position is in our squad - maybe not necessarily in top quality but surely in terms of differences now. I hope AMN returns well in November, he should be a candidate for a 1-2 midfield with Torreira at the base and Guendouzi-AMN as 2 B2Bs. I'd love to see a midfield like this in the EL, although with AMN fracturing his tibula, he'd have to come back pretty quickly.

My only issue is that the wide positions still don't have enough flexibility - I understand that Emery has always preferred inside wingers cutting in, but at the moment we have AMs who aren't specifically 1v1 skilled. Mhki and Özil are OK at it with Iwobi being above average but nobody really taking guys on specifically. I really hope we see Nelson come to some sort of prominence, as he can potentially provide this type of threat and he then really adds some edge to both the 4231 system and the 433. He looked much more physically developed when I saw him live this week.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

I'll probably tire of his pragmatic oral style eventually, but for now i'm loving it. Wenger was obviously much easier on the ear than Emery, than anyone in fact, but he could be very non-specific in quite a frustrating way. Of course there were specific tactics under Wenger, but he never really spoke about them. While Wenger talked about the whims of the human spirit, Emery talks about the mechanics of the limbs.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Right so people wanna see Lacazette start, which means this:

----------Torreira - Xhaka
Mkhi ---- Özil/Ramsey---- Auba
-------------- Laca

Now fair enough, that'd be interesting. Torreira is inevitably going to make us more solid and he simply has to start from now on. But what about our flanks?

Neither Bellerin nor Monreal have been at all impressive defensively so far, and Mkhi and Auba are not going to provide solid protection. Iwobi would, but you're hardly gonna drop Auba to the bench. So you're back to square one, with Auba up top and Laca on the bench surely?

I have no idea how to go about this. I think unless there are special circumstances, you simply choose between Laca and Auba.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
When you look at the players we have, there is no ideal scenario and questions will be raised whatever formation we play. We have 0 players who could play wide and dribble and all our attacking midfield players have big flaws in their game. We can get away with it against weaker teams, but every top team will punish us for this mess.

Since it will take some time to clear this mess, I would say that against lower oppositions we should play with Laca and Auba up front with Özil and Mkhi wide, and against stronger teams we should swap Özil and Laca for Ramsey and Iwobi to get at least some physical advantage since we can't match them by quality.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
My only issue is that the wide positions still don't have enough flexibility - I understand that Emery has always preferred inside wingers cutting in

I think our wingers have been offering a lot of width for an Emery team. I also think that the man loves Bellerin as an offensive force, the right side was our main attacking option for the second game in a row. We shall see if those last, but Emery has proven adaptable, his use of our squad has been idiosyncratic.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
-----------------Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Monreal
--------- Torreira - Xhaka
-----Mkhi ----- Özil ------ Iwobi
---------------- Auba

That's what I'd do for the next game. If it's still not working well, then put Laca on with Auba out wide.

LG10

Ramsey-Torreira
Mhki-Özil-Aubameyang
Lacazette​
This is what we should use against everyone but the top 6 and some away games. Basically a better version of the 13-14 team. Yes we'll be exposed defensively but we didn't look secure with two dms anyways so might as well go all out in attack.

pikey2000

I'd be tempted to ditch the #10 for a while and go with a 4-1-2-2-1

We need our full backs to raid forward as we don't have any wingers to provide width therefore we need a DM that drops to be a CB and make a back 3 when we are in possesion to cover the full backs pushing on.

At present we may play with deeper CM's in Xhaka and Douzi but whilst they may sit when we are in possesion they don't actively drop to make a back 3 which is why depsite have two CM's sitting we are still getting exposed down the flanks

At present in possesion we look something like this; easy to see why opposition wingers/full backs are getting at us and the CB's look so exposed

---------------ST-------------
-----IF-------AM------IF----
LB-------------------------RB
----------CM------CM-------
----------CB-------CB-------

Would rather we have something like this; lose the #10 in favour of a proper DM who will auto drop into the defense as soon as we get the ball.

One of the CM's can push up and support the attack, the other can sit to make sure if we lose possesion the opposition just can't raid straight through the centre of the pitch

---------IF-----------IF------
LB------------------------RB
---------CM---------CM-----
------CB------DM------CB--

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I for one am very excited because if the flexibility he's intending to have. My only worry is that it becomes a variable.
In this regard Wenger was stubborn in his belief that consistently perfecting your primary tactics is the way to grind out points. And in a handful of seasons it worked.
Being more flexible potentially yields higher highs but also the chance of horrible lows.

Fallout

I'd be tempted to ditch the #10 for a while and go with a 4-1-2-2-1

We need our full backs to raid forward as we don't have any wingers to provide width therefore we need a DM that drops to be a CB and make a back 3 when we are in possesion to cover the full backs pushing on.

At present we may play with deeper CM's in Xhaka and Douzi but whilst they may sit when we are in possesion they don't actively drop to make a back 3 which is why depsite have two CM's sitting we are still getting exposed down the flanks

At present in possesion we look something like this; easy to see why opposition wingers/full backs are getting at us and the CB's look so exposed

-----IF-------AM------IF----
LB-------------------------RB
----------CM------CM-------
----------CB-------CB-------

Would rather we have something like this; lose the #10 in favour of a proper DM who will auto drop into the defense as soon as we get the ball.

One of the CM's can push up and support the attack, the other can sit to make sure if we lose possesion the opposition just can't raid straight through the centre of the pitch

---------IF-----------IF------
LB------------------------RB
---------CM---------CM-----
------CB------DM------CB--
i agree with you 100 pct, we need to keep more numbers back and particularly someone has to cover the space bellerin is vacating. i find it funny that, even with a new manager, we cant seem to find a balanced way of playing the 4 back. the whole reason we switched to the 5 back a few seasons ago was because we were getting exposed time and time again on the counter with a 4. maybe the answer all along was lacking wingers to stay out wide. if we didnt rely on the fullbacks so much offensively then maybe they could play more conservatively.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Stop worrying about who you're leaving out, start thinking about who's best for the positions in the system. It's gotta be this:

---------------- Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Monreal
---------- Torreira - Xhaka
--- Mkhi ----- Özil ------ Iwobi
----------- Aubameyang

Would need more convincing before I believe Auba can start a PL game out wide with Laca up top, as opposed to an in-game option. Perhaps that's something for when the team has more confidence as a unit and more belief in itself.

Jae

Would need more convincing before I believe Auba can start a PL game out wide with Laca up top, as opposed to an in-game option. Perhaps that's something for when the team has more confidence as a unit and more belief in itself.

Disagree mate, I think Aubameyang looks better with Lacazette in the team, gets more chances and is more involved. Aubameyang pretty much plays in the same position with Lacazette on the pitch anyway. . Lacazette drops deep to receive the ball and Auba runs into the space behind him. He still plays on the shoulder on defenders, he just gets better service.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I for one am very excited because if the flexibility he's intending to have. My only worry is that it becomes a variable.
In this regard Wenger was stubborn in his belief that consistently perfecting your primary tactics is the way to grind out points. And in a handful of seasons it worked.
Being more flexible potentially yields higher highs but also the chance of horrible lows.

It results in confusion players got to be drilled in the basic philosphy. Look at the game today , have you ever seen so disjointed ? No structure at all in defense and offence .

BobP

Memri Fan
It results in confusion players got to be drilled in the basic philosphy. Look at the game today , have you ever seen so disjointed ? No structure at all in defense and offence .

Were you in a coma last season? :lol:

As for your claim that there has been a lack of structure in attack I'd disagree.

The majority of the goals we've scored (4/5), and chances we've created, have come from situations where we've crossed the ball, from inside the box, to the penalty spot.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Were you in a coma last season? :lol:

As for your claim that there has been a lack of structure in attack I'd disagree.

The majority of the goals we've scored (4/5), and chances we've created, have come from situations where we've crossed the ball, from inside the box, to the penalty spot.

I wish:lol: , I honestly haven't seen us this bad , this match I mean .

Yeah I agree about the goals last match , and I agree there was a structure in attack when Torreira came on . For last passages of this match however it was off the cuff .

Takes awhile to master one structure let alone two in a season .

Last edited:
Top Bottom