• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,467,370

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Before clubs started throwing silly money at decent talents he was linked to Ajax. Saw some potential in him, but not sure he'd be able to perform at Arsenal level immediately. Also thought he was very disappointing at the World Cup. I think there is too much hype reflected in his price. Would rather go for a different winger.

I would rather look at Hudson-Odoi as the next player to blow it, or Chukwueze, or Bergwijn.

I'd say Bergwijn is the more complete winger of the two at PSV, but Lozano is undeniably productive. It's a shame Bergwijn picked up a big injury, wouldn't have minded us picking him up in summer. On the fence about Lozano, not sure he'd step up a level or two. He definitely could though.
My thoughts re Pavon exactly. Not saying he hasn't got potential but I get the feeling he'd struggle in the PL and be inconsistent. A move a level or two below would suit him better.

I like that Chukwueze a lot. Fantastic on the ball and I read he could be pretty cheap. I'd actually be happier to sign him over Nicolas Pepe. Could really do with a left footed dribbling wizard.

Can't say I know anything about Bergwijn but the thing I like about Lozano is that while his productivity maybe a bit hard to trust as its in the Eredivise he seems to have that Alexis esque drive in him. Also, his crossing and pace is something we could use if we're going to play two up front. He seems like the kind of player Emery could get something out of.

Newchange

I don't think Chukwueze and Bergwijn are any better than Saka. I don't even feel their ceiling is as high either. There is no point in brining in a really young winger. The player who comes in needs to be 23-25 and have saka or Amaechi as understudies.

Pavon, Lozano, Pepe, Bailey, Under, Troussard and Sarr will all be overpriced. They also have risk added to them. As well as Pepe is doing this season, he has basically played one game a week. No European ties and they are out of the cup. Can he sustain his level with 3 games a week in England, no winter break and Champions League for the first time? How can the club drop £70 million on someone who may not hit those heights.

Chukwueze has outstanding dribbling ability, pace, power and an end product. He really could be the next Robben. At 19yo to say his ceiling isn't high is ludicrous, he's been tearing it up in La liga with his direct approach. I believe he's yet to agree a new deal with a year left on his contract. As we know he signed a deal with us 3 years ago only for the Home Office to block a work permit, which led him to spain. Saka has potential don't get me wrong but he is yet to have his breakout season, give him time.

Newchange

I think the Spanish market will now be our main focus with Raul Sanllehi the director of football. and Monchi potentially arriving. Its's a shame as the German/French market really has some interesting prospects.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I think the Spanish market will now be our main focus with Raul Sanllehi the director of football. and Monchi potentially arriving. Its's a shame as the German/French market really has some interesting prospects.

Monchi has never really focussed on one market though. That’s what makes him good at his job.

Newchange

Monchi has never really focussed on one market though. That’s what makes him good at his job.

True, although the Spanish trio of Sanllehi,Emery and Monchi would naturally lean towards a market they know and trust. Denis Suarez being the example.

ChefMan21

It's a weird one with balancing a youth focus with wanting to win the Champions League against being self-sustainable. Just not sure we have the resources - without significant investment from Kronkarntspendadollar - to achieve a
Champions League win. I said in another thread that if the club is sitting on £160m then we should spend circa £110m of that on a major stadium and youth academy/scouting network upgrade. This would go some way to achieving a few things:

* it's an insurance policy against Kronkarntspendadollar not leaving the club with anything in relation to an owners legacy (i.e. he takes and takes but we never saw anything in return);
* it will directly support the youth focus and self-sustaining model sought, as well as achieving a Champions League win (i.e. a bigger revenue source from the stadium; better chance of discovering a Champions League-quality youngster from the youth infrastructure investment)
* would help reduce that waiting list for season tickets
* would potentially show we are still an ambitious club by delivering a modern stadium with a massive capacity rivalling most other stadiums.

If we did that it would still leave us with around £50m for summer after a clear out. Another couple of good, cheapish, signings in the Torreira/Guendouzi mould (not position wise but talent wise) and I think we can still challenge for top four.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
French yes and England. German talents aren't up to much though I like Havertz a lot for what he could potentially become. Argentina, Nigeria, Brazil, Uruguay and other African and continental teams too.

Newchange

French yes and England. German talents aren't up to much though I like Havertz a lot for what he could potentially become.

Seems like the English market is one place we avoid for obvious reasons, inflation. Excluding Miki, I believe the last player we signed from a top flight club was Cech?

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Seems like the English market is one place we avoid for obvious reasons, inflation. Excluding Miki, I believe the last player we signed from a top flight club was Cech?
Yep, too expensive so we need to tap in to them as early in their development as possible and look lower down the division. Maybe, I don't remember.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
...if the club is sitting on £160m then we should spend circa £110m of that on a major stadium and youth academy/scouting network upgrade. This would go some way to achieving a few things:

* it's an insurance policy against Kronkarntspendadollar not leaving the club with anything in relation to an owners legacy (i.e. he takes and takes but we never saw anything in return);
* it will directly support the youth focus and self-sustaining model sought, as well as achieving a Champions League win (i.e. a bigger revenue source from the stadium; better chance of discovering a Champions League-quality youngster from the youth infrastructure investment)
* would help reduce that waiting list for season tickets
* would potentially show we are still an ambitious club by delivering a modern stadium with a massive capacity rivalling most other stadiums.

If we did that it would still leave us with around £50m for summer after a clear out. Another couple of good, cheapish, signings in the Torreira/Guendouzi mould (not position wise but talent wise) and I think we can still challenge for top four.

If, indeed, Monchi comes on board, you can be sure the academy and scouting network will be upgraded. Here's a bit from a 2008 article regarding what he had achieved at Sevilla ("The Mastery of 'Monchi': The Power Behind Sevilla's Throne"):

In 2000, Sevilla's plight was dire, the club had just been relegated from the top division and facing an uncertain future, both on a football and economic level. Into this climate came Monchi who was appointed as the club's sporting director.

He was given two key objectives, develop the club's youth policy so that the club could develop their own stars of the future, and implement a scouting system that will allow the club to spot potential stars before any of the big clubs do. On both counts Monchi has more than exceeded his brief.

In terms of youth development, Sevilla have developed some of the finest young players in Europe over the past few years. The club's academy has overseen the development of the likes of Jose Antonio Reyes, Sergio Ramos, Diego Capel, Jesus Navas, and the late Antonio Puerta.

Some of these players have been sold, with the club recouping £50 million since 1997 through the sale of academy players, but others have stayed and undoubtedly helped the team develop-Capel and Navas are key parts of the current Sevilla team.

Sevilla's academy is now one of the most productive in Spain, boasting 400 players across 22 youth teams. It is now a rival to the much vaunted academies of Real Madrid and Barcelona, which is itself testament to the work of Monchi.

For scouting, Monchi has created a intricate network of over 700 scouts around the globe, all designed to help Sevilla spot and sign the brightest prospects in world football before any of the big clubs become aware of them.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/94729-the-mastery-of-monchi-the-power-behind-sevillas-throne

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Can only really judge sh*t after the summer window. Last summer was a bit of a chimera, it wasn't a full-on Emery/Sanllehi/Monchi (presumably) summer. Better get Monchi or whoever the new c*nt is in quick though cos most top clubs are already working on deals for the summer. Get the new guy in, get the targets sorted early, and buy f*cking Fornals, obvs.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Wan-Bissaka's a gooner! Jesus I did not know that. F*ck, why can't he be a left-back? Him and Bellerin on each side would be the stuff of dreams, the sauce would be infinite. Infinite f*cking sauce.

HBL

Established Member
Wan-Bissaka's a gooner! Jesus I did not know that. F*ck, why can't he be a left-back? Him and Bellerin on each side would be the stuff of dreams, the sauce would be infinite. Infinite f*cking sauce.
If we want infinite sauce then Ferland Mendy is the only option really, otherwise Tierney is probably are best shout and will be fairly cheap compared to the likes of Chilwell, Mendy & Firpo

ChefMan21

If, indeed, Monchi comes on board, you can be sure the academy and scouting network will be upgraded. Here's a bit from a 2008 article regarding what he had achieved at Sevilla ("The Mastery of 'Monchi': The Power Behind Sevilla's Throne"):

In 2000, Sevilla's plight was dire, the club had just been relegated from the top division and facing an uncertain future, both on a football and economic level. Into this climate came Monchi who was appointed as the club's sporting director.

He was given two key objectives, develop the club's youth policy so that the club could develop their own stars of the future, and implement a scouting system that will allow the club to spot potential stars before any of the big clubs do. On both counts Monchi has more than exceeded his brief.

In terms of youth development, Sevilla have developed some of the finest young players in Europe over the past few years. The club's academy has overseen the development of the likes of Jose Antonio Reyes, Sergio Ramos, Diego Capel, Jesus Navas, and the late Antonio Puerta.

Some of these players have been sold, with the club recouping £50 million since 1997 through the sale of academy players, but others have stayed and undoubtedly helped the team develop-Capel and Navas are key parts of the current Sevilla team.

Sevilla's academy is now one of the most productive in Spain, boasting 400 players across 22 youth teams. It is now a rival to the much vaunted academies of Real Madrid and Barcelona, which is itself testament to the work of Monchi.

For scouting, Monchi has created a intricate network of over 700 scouts around the globe, all designed to help Sevilla spot and sign the brightest prospects in world football before any of the big clubs become aware of them.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/94729-the-mastery-of-monchi-the-power-behind-sevillas-throne
I hope so. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for signing the players we need, but sometimes I think the transfer market when the players you need to win the Champions League are rare, so perhaps it's better to invest from within than without.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I hope so. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for signing the players we need, but sometimes I think the transfer market when the players you need to win the Champions League are rare, so perhaps it's better to invest from within than without.

I think you need to do both in order to win the Champions League. Even your Real Madrids and Barcelonas need to develop some of their own, but nobody wins it without acquiring some big players too. Arsenal needs to strike the right balance, do a good job of identifying talent and maybe get a bit lucky as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom