• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal's Bould Defense

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
This is a thread where the performances of our defense and defenders under new assistant coach, Steve Bould, can be analyzed and discussed.

Our recent defensive issues have been well documented, but we've had the luxury of having a world class striker to plaster over the obvious cracks. Now that goal machine Van Persie is unsettled and likely to leave a lot more responsibility has to fall on the defense.

Will Bould be able to turn bad habits around and inject greater urgency and discipline or will it be more of the same?

leo_ense

Established Member
Good thread idea. Too early judge of course but from the pictures we've seen of the guys training Bould has had a hands on approach with the defenders, which I guess can only be good.

GOONER1991

Established Member
As "van the man 10" has said, we can't really judge quite yet. The pictures we've seen so far have shown Bould to be a rather authoritative figure at training, and hopefully this will translate onto the pitch.

kenkbc2

Can't be any worse than its been these past few seasons (except during our CL Cup final run in 2006)..

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
van the man 10 said:
Good thread idea. Too early judge of course but from the pictures we've seen of the guys training Bould has had a hands on approach with the defenders, which I guess can only be good.
GOONER1991 said:
As "van the man 10" has said, we can't really judge quite yet. The pictures we've seen so far have shown Bould to be a rather authoritative figure at training, and hopefully this will translate onto the pitch.

:lol: Come on guys. There optimism and then there's this. I really don't tihnk we can comment on Bould's training style from a few pictures from Arsenal.com...

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
That's a good piece of evidence, what a specific kind of media coverage can do to one's mind/opinion on certain matters. :lol:

arsenallegends

Established Member
He must be very familiar with Bartley Miquel Gibbs and perhaps Szczesny so thats already a huge bonus. I hope he can establish a system that anyone can come into, in that he can close the gap from our best defender to our most challenged. Such early days.

mistaT

Established Member
So what are specific areas you want to see and expect improvement in?

For me:

Numero Uno - Is a more cohesive and defined approach to organizing how far the line plays behind the midfield.

Sick of seeing acres of space between our back line and midfield, and then watching players skip into it and get to run at our CB's. Though the Norwich and Swansea games near the end of last year were perfect examples of this.

Constant pressure on our defense because our midfield was being easily bypassed. But this was partly because our defense wasn't stepping up to eliminate this space and mark their opposition tighter.

draiocht fianna

Not sure he will make a huge difference, just because he was a good defender. Rice was a defender as was Wenger.

The famous back 5 Bould featured in was a George Graham product. George Graham as a player was a skilful attacking midfielder whose weaknesses were laziness and a lack of defensive discipline.

Bould's youth teams weren't great defensively as all teams at Arsenal play the same way.

KY

Established Member
draiocht fianna said:
Not sure he will make a huge difference, just because he was a good defender. Rice was a defender as was Wenger.

The famous back 5 Bould featured in was a George Graham product. George Graham as a player was a skilful attacking midfielder whose weaknesses were laziness and a lack of defensive discipline.

Bould's youth teams weren't great defensively as all teams at Arsenal play the same way.

:lol:

Vela

Established Member
I was at the matches yesterday against Anderlecht and Rangers. During the warming up sessions before each match, Steve Bould and Neil Banfield took the sessions. Bould was speaking to the likes of Bartley and Djourou a lot before the match.

leo_ense

Established Member
Vela said:
I was at the matches yesterday against Anderlecht and Rangers. During the warming up sessions before each match, Steve Bould and Neil Banfield took the sessions. Bould was speaking to the likes of Bartley and Djourou a lot before the match.

How did you think players like Bartley performed? Also heard Gibbs played well I'm expecting big things from him if he stays fit.

ebouenolike

Established Member
Vela said:

Interesting. He's likely to be very hands on, and bring in some new thoughts. By all accounts he's thoroughly respected by the players, and his ascension will be great news for Bartley et al. He's (Bould) got a HUGE chance to improve our defense and make a real name for himself as a coach.

jonos14

How was the U18 defensive play last season? might give us an idea on Steve Bould defensive coaching style, which I assumed won't change now that he fully involves with the main squad

Vela

Established Member
The U-18's didn't have the best of defensive records last season, mainly down to the mistakes which the centre-back's made. More in to the season they started pressing there opposition more which was very beneficial.

BeijingBaller

Vela said:
The U-18's didn't have the best of defensive records last season, mainly down to the mistakes which the centre-back's made. More in to the season they started pressing there opposition more which was very beneficial.

Why isn't defensive pressing a given at that level? Is it seen as detracting from the development of some other skills or something? It seems so centrally important for any team with aspirations of playing possession football, and we're supposed to be trying to produce players for the first team...

fabo

6.51 / 10
Goals conceded at the end of the season will be key, anything on 40 or above is not good enough, and that's been the case for a few years now.

infineon

Established Member
BeijingBaller said:
Why isn't defensive pressing a given at that level? Is it seen as detracting from the development of some other skills or something? It seems so centrally important for any team with aspirations of playing possession football, and we're supposed to be trying to produce players for the first team...
It must physically require a very high standard of athlete to be able to do that as a young kid and we just don't have access to that pool of talent.

Galahad

kenkbc2 said:
Can't be any worse than its been these past few seasons (except during our CL Cup final run in 2006)..

Just watched the first leg against Real Madrid again yesterday...And I was pretty amazed to see a back four of Flamini, Senderos, Toure and Eboue almost completly shut out Real. So Im guessing whatever we have now should be at least equal skill wise, it MUST be tactics or training thats making us concede so much.

Granted, our midfield was probably better then but we had Hleb and Reyes defending out wide which is bound for trouble...or at least one would be forgiven for thinking so.

So imo we should expect this team to defend MUUUUUUUCH better then it was last season.

Top Bottom