• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal's True Spending Position: There is no top 6

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I checked and at the start of the year we had the second highest wage bill in the league.

Obviously it’s come down a lot since cutting Özil and some of the others but we’re still spending 108M more a year on wages than Leeds are and we’re neck and neck.

We’re arguably getting the worst value for money in the PL.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I checked and at the start of the year we had the second highest wage bill in the league.

Obviously it’s come down a lot since cutting Özil and some of the others but we’re still spending 108M more a year on wages than Leeds are and we’re neck and neck.

Wow that's scary. Big problem that we have so many average squad players on anything between £50-80k a week and sometimes even more. People complain that we can't get decent fees when selling players but forget that wages come as a part of that, which is obviously our own fault to begin with. Your never going to get clubs paying your Elneny's of the world the wages they get with us plus a transfer fee. A total mess.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We persist with failing players for too long. Even worse than that is that we hand out new contracts to failing players. No malice to these guys, but have Kolasinac, Mustafi, El Nenny and Lacazette been giving us 400k a week's worth of value? Or, could we have replaced that with 2 top drawer players on 150k a week and two youngsters on 50k?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Ahead of Man United? I find that very hard to believe. Isnt Shaw on 180k a week?

I think the argument for squad cost and wage cost gets blown out the water every season.

Anyone with half a brain can see City have the best squad in the league, so obviously its going to cost them more in wages. Everyone knows we had a lot of washed up players on huge wages to get rid of.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We persist with failing players for too long. Even worse than that is that we hand out new contracts to failing players. No malice to these guys, but have Kolasinac, Mustafi, El Nenny and Lacazette been giving us 400k a week's worth of value? Or, could we have replaced that with 2 top drawer players on 150k a week and two youngsters on 50k?

Its easier said than done bro, almost impossible to sell these players or even give them away because of their wages with us. All stemming from previous regimes stupidity.

truth_hurts

Its easier said than done bro, almost impossible to sell these players or even give them away because of their wages with us. All stemming from previous regimes stupidity.
No doubt, but we are almost in a position now to sort out the mess of the last era.

It will be interesting to see what happens with players like Bellerin, Xhaka and Laca, not bad players, but deserving of bumper new deals or sell?

Also, the likes of Mustafi, Kolasinac and Luiz are about to run out of contract. That's over 300k a week off the books in addition to Özil and Sokratis. We could have cleared in excess of one million a week off the books by this summer.

Naturally, a chunk of that would need to go towards new deals and new players, but as a group of fans we definitely get terrible value for money.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Cedric may have done ok so far compared to expections but in a year or so's time we'll be in the same boat again with him and Mari. How are we going to make any money off either of those 2? I don't blame any of these guys for signing the deals that they do either, it's the club offering them those contracts after all.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Imagine paying a 32 year old Chelsea retiree £250k a week for 3 years (including playing bonuses, £100k bare minimum). This clubs learnt nothing.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

So this is what I’ve found online as the closest measure of contracts at the club.

Saka’s contract is supposedly 30k pw but this is driven by total yearly expenditure which is why his pay jump up from 3k pw is reflected as 10k pw in the table, same thing is true with Holding’s new contract.

2E461AF4-C392-44DD-9F42-DC1B38D86262.jpeg
79A46087-7692-4F7B-AB55-970B89744A9B.jpeg

So we’re not paying AMN, Mav, Guendo, Torreira and Willock on their loans but we are paying Kolasinac on his loan.

If you look at that list it’s worrying because everyone on their bar Saka, Leno, KT and maybe Gabriel is nowhere near hitting weight.

truth_hurts

Cedric may have done ok so far compared to expections but in a year or so's time we'll be in the same boat again with him and Mari. How are we going to make any money off either of those 2? I don't blame any of these guys for signing the deals that they do either, it's the club offering them those contracts after all.
Cedric and Mari I don't mind. Cedric is on more than Jenkinson and less than Lictsteiner - he's better than both and is a useful squad player. Jury is out on Mari, but he's on less than Mustafi and Sokratis were and appears more useful.

Neither are a huge strain on the wage bill to be honest. The question would be - why the hell did we start the season with Luiz, Gabriel, Mustafi, Sokratis, Mari, Holding, Chambers, Mavropanos AND Saliaba. Gross mismanagement. 9 centre backs on a Premier League Salary and arguably none are good enough to play for a top 6 rival.

We are in a position new to start again. Mustafi and Sokratis are as good as gone. Luiz could go and the rest (maybe bar Mari) are sellable assets on relatively low wages.

truth_hurts

So this is what I’ve found online as the closest measure of contracts at the club.

Saka’s contract is supposedly 30k pw but this is driven by total yearly expenditure which is why his pay jump up from 3k pw is reflected as 10k pw in the table, same thing is true with Holding’s new contract.

View attachment 2414

So we’re not paying AMN, Mav, Guendo, Torreira and Willock on their loans but we are paying Kolasinac on his loan.

If you look at that list it’s worrying because everyone on their bar Saka, Leno, KT and maybe Gabriel is nowhere near hitting weight.
I fail to believe that Martinelli is on 90k regardless, that list is scary. Our top 5 is more than likely on more than Liverpool's top 5 are on. You can justify top dollar for Auba and Partey as they are world class. Willian and Laca are on Mane and Kane money - that's scary.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I remember reading an article that claimed that over 70% of lottery winners end up broke or bankrupt. I was bored so I did some more Googling and the common theme with a lot of these lottery winners were: poor financial advice, lavish and irresponsible spending and opportunists taking advantage. No surprise when Arsenal finally got some money after years of being notoriously frugal that we lose all sense of rationality and common sense. When you’re broke you know the real value of money. We missed out on good players that probably could have helped us to trophies but it stopped us from doing dumb sh@t like give Willian a 3 year contract on 200kpw.

As I said earlier. Poor financial advice-check. StatDna, Sven, Gazidis. Lavish and irresponsible spending-check. Buying Pepe and Lacazette as marquee signings when we needed reinforcements in more pressing areas. Opportunists taking advantage of us-check. Kia, Edu and Mr. Brown Envelope himself Raul Sanehelli and his merry band of agents. Yeah, it’s no surprise how we haemorrhage money these days. But what is more upsetting is that I don’t trust this club to correct itself without throwing more money at the problem and rather ironically dig us deeper into mediocrity.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I remember reading an article that claimed that over 70% of lottery winners end up broke or bankrupt. I was bored so I did some more Googling and the common theme with a lot of these lottery winners were: poor financial advice, lavish and irresponsible spending and opportunists taking advantage. No surprise when Arsenal finally got some money after years of being notoriously frugal that we lose all sense of rationality and common sense. When you’re broke you know the real value of money. We missed out on good players that probably could have helped us to trophies but it stopped us from doing dumb sh@t like give Willian a 3 year contract on 200kpw.

As I said earlier. Poor financial advice-check. StatDna, Sven, Gazidis. Lavish and irresponsible spending-check. Buying Pepe and Lacazette as marquee signings when we needed reinforcements in more pressing areas. Opportunists taking advantage of us-check. Kia, Edu and Mr. Brown Envelope himself Raul Sanehelli and his merry band of agents. Yeah, it’s no surprise how we haemorrhage money these days. But what is more upsetting is that I don’t trust this club to correct itself without throwing more money at the problem and rather ironically dig us deeper into mediocrity.

You can go back even further than that.

Allowed to spend money so we sign Özil, excellent business at the time. The next summer we spend £110M, Alexis joins but to be frank we sign a pile of crap for the rest of the money.

Then to try and build a title winning side we spend £85M on Xhaka, Mustafi and Lucas Perez. Along with the stupid contracts we gave for most of these players it has been a shambles from EVERYONE who has spent the money we've had.

However I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I think Edu and Arteta have spent astutely so far. Willian on 100k a week is the only real bad move, but you expect at least one in a handful of signings. Still think Willian has the potential to be useful as well.

Mari was cheap and has been brilliant. Cedric was free and has been brilliant, excellent backup for whoever we buy in the summer. Partey don't need to say anything and Gabriel will be great for us.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Spot on, using Lacazette as an example, it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to cut it for us after his first season, but we persisted and persisted with him. The opportunity cost of not taking the hit and replacing him earlier has cost us years. I fear the same is happening with Pepe. Take the financial hit and go again.

That on top of all of the other dross we've had in the recent past. The club really has been a circus.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
You can go back even further than that.

Allowed to spend money so we sign Özil, excellent business at the time. The next summer we spend £110M, Alexis joins but to be frank we sign a pile of crap for the rest of the money.

Then to try and build a title winning side we spend £85M on Xhaka, Mustafi and Lucas Perez. Along with the stupid contracts we gave for most of these players it has been a shambles from EVERYONE who has spent the money we've had.

However I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I think Edu and Arteta have spent astutely so far. Willian on 100k a week is the only real bad move, but you expect at least one in a handful of signings. Still think Willian has the potential to be useful as well.

Mari was cheap and has been brilliant. Cedric was free and has been brilliant, excellent backup for whoever we buy in the summer. Partey don't need to say anything and Gabriel will be great for us.
On the whole I do think we have improved our recruitment compared to 2016. I do think we have been unlucky with some signings though. Partey unable to stay fit, Martinelli missing a year of football, Tierney and his injury problems. And I do think we are learning to cut our losses quicker. Guendouzi and Torreira have been both sent out on loan for the hopes we can recoup some cash. However, we are falling for old mistakes. Holding shouldn’t been given a new contract. Also, allegedly, we were willing to extend Mustafi’s and Elneny’s contract. Why? I hear that we are trying to gain some value on these guys but sometimes you have to accept that there’s no value in some players. We have been trying to rid ourselves of Elneny for years and he has never garnered significant interest.

Breezy ®

Wow that's scary. Big problem that we have so many average squad players on anything between £50-80k a week and sometimes even more. People complain that we can't get decent fees when selling players but forget that wages come as a part of that, which is obviously our own fault to begin with. Your never going to get clubs paying your Elneny's of the world the wages they get with us plus a transfer fee. A total mess.

Bellerin 100k
Holding 50k
Chambers 50k
Elneny 50k
Xhaka 100k
Lacazette 180k

All players Wenger signed or promoted.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Bellerin 100k
Holding 50k
Chambers 50k
Elneny 50k
Xhaka 100k
Lacazette 180k

All players Wenger signed or promoted.
Repeating the same mistakes again with the new regime though. If that list is to be believed, which clubs in the top 10 would give Mari £85k a week or £75k a week to Cedric? That's without even mentioning Willian.

Latest posts

Top Bottom