• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal's True Spending Position: There is no top 6

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
That's not strictly true. When Cazorla was finished fairly early on, Flamini ended up playing pretty much every match, can't remember him being injured.
Flamini was past his best by then. That's in addition to Rosicknote and Arteta who you cannot rely on. Not mention Wilshere, who had already missed most of the previous season and got injured again in pre-season.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Jury is out on Pepe, but our recent transfer business has actually been good.

We just need to hope that we strike gold on at least a couple of Saliba, Guendouzi, Saka, Nelson, Martinelli, ESR or Nketiah.

truth_hurts

Of course it's a continuum, but those 8 teams stand out above the rest wallowing around between 100-300m euros. Arsenal have spent just over half City'smoney. Where would your cut off points be? Which ever way you look at it, there's no top 6.

Well there is. Barring the Leicester anomaly, only 6 teams have regular frequented the top 4 over the past 5 - 10 years or just missed out.

These 6 clubs have benefitted from European money as a result.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Well there is. Barring the Leicester anomaly, only 6 teams have regular frequented the top 4 over the past 5 - 10 years or just missed out.

These 6 clubs have benefitted from European money as a result.
What I'm saying is that has clearly changed. Everton and Leicester are climbing the ladder, Everton even overtaking Sp**s for spending, and with good managers, early indications are that there is a top 8 race.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Flamini was past his best by then. That's in addition to Rosicknote and Arteta who you cannot rely on. Not mention Wilshere, who had already missed most of the previous season and got injured again in pre-season.
That's why he was back up.

Reactions: A_G

truth_hurts

What I'm saying is that has clearly changed. Everton and Leicester are climbing the ladder, Everton even overtaking Sp**s for spending, and with good managers, early indications are that there is a top 8 race.

There may well be, but last year is the only time in my memory that we have finished below 6th in The Premier League and I can't remember the last time Everton finished above us.

I expect us to stay ahead of both as long as we can continue to attract players like Aubameyang and Partey.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

There may well be, but last year is the only time in my memory that we have finished below 6th in The Premier League.
That's only because we had Wenger, 2005-2014 we should have been a lot lower according to our spend.

truth_hurts

That's only because we had Wenger, 2005-2014 we should have been a lot lower according to our spend.

I do get your point, but I feel we must have a top 6 most expensive squad. We also spent well in the period that you are referring to: 11m for Cech, 15m for Santiago, 12m for Giroud and 30m was incredible business.

Before this season, Everton spent 120m on Iwobi, Walcott and Siggurdson.

Net spend doesn't always correlate to how strong your squad is.

Manberg

Predator
No premier league trophy since 2004 has been a failure of Wenger. We had a talented squad which kept underachieving. Net spend tells me nothing. The players you sell are the players you have to want to sell. Money that was spent was mixed. Some good signings but a lot of duds in between which should have been avoided. Too many repeated failures.
£72m on Pepe was a failure of Raul.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I do get your point, but I feel we must have a top 6 most expensive squad. We also spent well in the period that you are referring to: 11m for Cech, 15m for Santiago, 12m for Giroud and 30m was incredible business.

Before this season, Everton spent 120m on Iwobi, Walcott and Siggurdson.

Net spend doesn't always correlate to how strong your squad is.
Every team makes some good buys, every team makes some poor buys, every team has one maybe two home grown boys that have come through the academy . . it all comes out in the wash.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

No premier league trophy since 2004 has been a failure of Wenger. We had a talented squad which kept underachieving. Net spend tells me nothing. The players you sell are the players you have to want to sell. Money that was spent was mixed. Some good signings but a lot of duds in between which should have been avoided. Too many repeated failures.
£72m on Pepe was a failure of Raul.
This thread isn't about Wenger or net spend mate, it's about the club's overall investment over several years to arrive at a squad.

We are where we are . . a fair way behind City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool and in a mid spending bunch containing Sp**s, Everton, and Leicester. A top 8. Or mid 4 depending how you want to view it.

Manberg

Predator
This thread isn't about Wenger or net spend mate, it's about the club's overall investment over several years to arrive at a squad.

We are where we are . . a fair way behind City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool and in a mid spending bunch containing Sp**s, Everton, and Leicester. A top 8. Or mid 4 depending how you want to view it.

Your chart simply tells me that we are one of the highest spending clubs in Europe, and we've been outperformed by clubs spending a lot less than us.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Law of diminishing returns.
Net spend is still important.

If Arsenal spend 50m on one player and sell nobody but Liverpool sell a 50m player and spend 100m their squad costs more but net spend is the same. Are Liverpool better off because they sold or are Arsenal better off because they retained a 50m player?

There are so many variables to boil it down just to one.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Your chart simply tells me that we are one of the highest spending clubs in Europe.
Yes, 5th in the EPL. And looking at the history of the EPL and what clubs have done in the past in that ball park of spending, what are you expecting us to acheive?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Law of diminishing returns.
Net spend is still important.

If Arsenal spend 50m on one player and sell nobody but Liverpool sell a 50m player and spend 100m their squad costs more but net spend is the same. Are Liverpool better off because they sold or are Arsenal better off because they retained a 50m player?

There are so many variables to boil it down just to one.
What? This is about the straight cost of all 25 players in the squad. You couldn't get a fairer comparison.

You can only get a more expensive squad by one of 4 methods, the owner forks out of his own pocket, the club uses some of its revenues from gates, TV etc, it borrows, or it does some clever dealing by buying cheaper players and selling them at a profit. The above chart shows the results of all those investments in the entire team lumped in one figure.

Net spend in any one year only concerns a few players and involves players actually leaving the squad.

Manberg

Predator
Bayern Munich aren't in our league. The German league is run very differently. And you didn't answer my question.

We can buy players from Germany too. Why can we not compare our spending to clubs from other leagues? How do they get to spend far less yet be more competitive? I don't mean competitive in their domestic leagues I mean a more competitive side (better side with better players ) in a head to head match.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

We can buy players from Germany too. Why can we not compare our spending to clubs from other leagues? How do they get to spend far less yet be more competitive? I don't mean competitive in their domestic leagues I mean a more competitive side (better side with better players ) in a head to head match.
They dominate German football and have their pick of the best young talent. We're over paying for the players coming to the UK, it's a whole different set up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom