• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

In the link I put, he was asked what you would say to your younger self now.

He said: "Do it better."

There is not much, if at all, to suggest he really regrets his career at Arsenal as I have shown above.

And I find it weird that GDeep suggests he didn't want to become Arsenal legend, or isn't one.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yet those clubs have had much lesser managers go there and boss it. Most of the guys who have managed those two clubs over the last 30 years are clowns.
Because for those clubs particularly Spain, their managers are mostly figureheads with tons of decisions makers in the background.

You're acting like that suits Wenger when it wouldn't - this guy supposedly didn't know what a director of football is.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
yeah wasted his prime manager years here(06-12) instead of stacking up trophies jumping around from one top club to another.. probably would have done it differently if he got the chance again.
I think he would have done it differently but still done it at Arsenal. It's like sliding doors

GDeep™

League is very weak
....nah I just think you like getting the violin out for Wenger.

He's had one of the greatest football managerial careers on the planet, this poor Wenger stuff is nonsense. After 20 years of his leadership its normal to want to see new ideas.

Absolving Wenger of blame is also not right. His deficiencies were very real and the majority of players you and your cronies like to slag off came under his watch.
You're trying to act like he had as much say in the club as Emery and Arteta which is blatantly not the case.
I’m saying ultimately everything stops with the ownership. The club should have let him go earlier, hired Klopp or Pep etc. You can never JUST blame any manager as they never run the club.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’m saying ultimately everything stops with the ownership. The club should have let him go earlier, hired Klopp or Pep etc. You can never JUST blame any manager as they never run the club.
My bad, now I get what you are saying.

Alexs

I read the book this afternoon. Nothing unexpected but any Arsenal fan knows the man pretty well and what book he'd write.

There are no shock revelations but I double took an odd bullet point list of players who've left their mark on our history that includes Arshavin, Walcott, Gibbs, Coquelin, Cygan and Senderos. Some of them left their mark on the odd game but not our history exactly. Not our positive history anyway. He adds that with Gibbs it's a confidence thing.

A couple of things stood out for me: how damaged he was by the nonsense allegations soon after he arrived and how keeping us top four after the Emirates, however much derided, was some achievement given the financial constrictions coinciding with the influx of millions at other clubs. For his own good he should have left sooner perhaps but I doubt for the good of the club. Appointing an Emery two years sooner would not have helped. I suppose Klopp might have stood a chance from force of personality but even that hindsight offers no guarantee.

The book also states that when Wenger joined there were 70-80 staff and when he left, 700, which puts the 55 redundancies and the Gunnersaurus fiasco in to perspective.

"Özil is an artist who feels football through all the pores of his skin and his soul. He needs to be constantly encouraged and he needs to feel close to his coach and have a relationship of trust with him". So his Arsenal career was over the day Wenger left.

He mentions family a little but not a lot. It must be so difficult to be the partner or child of someone so consumed.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Arsenal got under his skin and in to him and once you become a real fan of a club, you're in for life. The club grabs you and won't let you go and after a while, you can't let go either...
Looking back, his career would have been better if he'd left earlier but in my heart, he left at the right time.

That`s very well put. Arsène obviously fell in love with the club and everything about it, remember reading he used to drive past Highbury regularly after we moved because he missed it so much. Deep down he probably knew he should at some point have accepted the offers from Real, PSG etc and that he should have left a year or two earlier, but he just couldn`t because the club was basically his life.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
When you hear Wenger speak of Arsenal it's as a love affair.

Personally now I'm ready to put the post mortems and What if's and What could have been's in the rear view mirror and just celebrate him as the number 1/2 manager in our history.

Sure he made mistakes and could have done certain things better but he did the best that he could as a manager and gave us everything he had, of that I have no doubt. That's enough for me.

The guy loves the club as much as any of us, if not more and has left us with some magical memories that we'll never forget.

Last edited:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
When he let coquelin go and theo and gibbs and giroud, it was pretty clear that he was handing over and winding up his stint sooner or later. Then they sic'ed the fat bastard Raul on to him in february and in april he resigned. A manager needs the backing of the board, not some ****faced idiots who went and bid 40m+1 on Suarez and couldnt even land jamie fkin vardy

Alexs

Wenger on the Suarez bid: 'But thanks to an indiscretion within Liverpool, I found out that this clause never existed. To check this was true we offered 40m + 1..." Vardy's a simple parochial lad who just didn't have the bottle for the challenge and upheaval.

Makavelii

The internet is the place where real life nonentities gather to snipe at real life legends.

The real world is where legends are not even aware of the existence of the nonentities.

Reminds me of this awesome Theodore Roosevelt quote:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
I don’t know how many of you were aware, but Arsène was on Talksport’s breakfast show from 9, and he talked about few things from his first time watching Arsenal play, the British core he’s inherited, his best players, Özil, the rivalry with Fergie and the scumbag Mourinho and finally Arteta.

Jamie Rat Face aka Durham ginger bastard wanna be asked him about the zipper! Out of 22 years of illustrious career filled with trophies, amazing football that has never been seen in this country, you choose to embarrass him? Once a **** always a ****.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger i love you , your currently Arsenals managerial goat but since 2004 you did not get us to where we belong (Premier league title) and you played a big part in our decline so mixed feelings on this guy tbh
:lol: Complete rewrite of history. The fans played a much bigger part in our decline than Wenger ever did.

Arsenal finishes before the fans started their campaign to remove him in earnest because they were bored with top 4 . . 4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd. No decline there.

Arsenal finishes after the fans started their boycotts, protests, planes, social media rants etc . . . 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th.

When you take away all the nonsense, those are the bare irrefutable facts.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom