• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I don’t think we know anyone’s attitude behind closed doors and it’s all guesswork on our part.

What we do I now is that he forced his move through via some disrespectful gestures to the club.

If you remove the “him vs Wenger” angle it’s pretty indefensible. Every other single player we sold whether it was to a rival or not didn’t have to carry on like he did.

The club never acted affronted they just seemed to want market value.
It still doesn’t explain why he allegedly carried on like he did. All he had to do was say ‘im going to Barca’ and that’s that. Barca, naturally, will know he wants to come and the price would reflect that. As you stated, the club never made it harder for others by demanding silly money so why would that have been of concern to Cesc? That’s why I think it all points to Wenger or the club being difficult in some way as well, which probably pissed Cesc off.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It still doesn’t explain why he allegedly carried on like he did. All he had to do was say ‘im going to Barca’ and that’s that. Barca, naturally, will know he wants to come and the price would reflect that. As you stated, the club never made it harder for others by demanding silly money so why would that have been of concern to Cesc? That’s why I think it all points to Wenger or the club being difficult in some way as well, which probably pissed Cesc off.

I think the simplest answer is that as they’ve shown time and time again Barca are the biggest skinflints under the sun, and were trying to push some derisory offer for one of the elite players in world football.

When the club were clearly sticking to a valuation as was their right, Cesc ended up engaging in some skulduggery - probably at Rossell and Pep’s behest - to force the deal through.

He can’t really have his cake and eat it, if you take drastic steps and sh*t all over the club and fans I don’t know why they’re required to care so much about you after you’re retired.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Mourinho is a bit like Homelander to me. Wants to be seen as godly and superior to his peers but suffers from a very human insecurity. Poor guy just wants validation and to be loved. Mourinho could win the league 5 times in a row and there's a part of him that knows deep down he'll never be respected the same way Arsène was. I mean truly respected by your peers and adversaries. Honestly, it's all a bit sad. When you look past the trophies, name-calling, and headlines, Jose's no different from a Kardashian.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I would love it if Wenger came in for Southgate and took England to World Cup 2022. Maybe he won't win a CL but a World Cup is a worthy substitute. Imagine what he could do with a Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Saka, Bellingham, Sterling etc. I think it would be easier for him too. International football is more about player quality than actual tactics. FFS Jochaim Lowe has a World Cup medal and I doubt he would even do a better job than Scott Parker at Fulham. I think only France beat England, maybe Germany too on player quality but I still think under a progressive manager England can be favourites.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’d like to see Wenger at Bayern Munich or PSG myself.

Don’t think international is hands on enough for him, imagine Mourinho telling him Kane is “injured” and etc. Sure France would want a word anyways - they’ve always felt envy for what he’s done for English football.

He relishes development, involvement and control you don’t really get that as national team coach.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I’m sure if Cesc thought he was going to get Wenger’s and the clubs blessing he wouldn’t have felt the need to go AWOL or make things any more difficult than he had reason to believe it would be. How does he improve matters by doing that? You’d have to take the logical explanation and assume it wasn’t all his doing and there must have been two sides to this.

Wengers ‘that’ll l learn yer the grass isn’t always greener‘ attitude tells me it was probably made more complicated for Cesc—the last jewel in his dodgy crown—than it was for Wenger to accept 24m for an aging RvP with just one year left on his contract.
Cesc wanted out in 2010. 2010-2011, Barca did the treble. I can understand his agitation to leave and be part of that legendary team and return home at the same time. The way he went about it was poor, but I cant help but respect him as when he wore our shirt, he gave everything and played when injured which is a real rarity with some of our lot. Barca also won the treble a year after he left so his dream wasn't all he expected. He did well there but only three years and not a main player whereas for us, he was everything. As for his return, we couldn't forsee Santi's injury and Özil's retirement but I wish we'd resigned him.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He relishes development, involvement and control you don’t really get that as national team coach.
You don’t, but you don’t get the pressure every week either and he’s an old man now. International management, if any management at all, is about as high pressure as I’d like to see him involved in. He hasnt got the time to lay foundations at a club! High pressure club football for a guy who was considered outdated is the last thing he needs now. Watching him fail at his age would be awful.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I’d like to see Wenger at Bayern Munich or PSG myself.

Don’t think international is hands on enough for him, imagine Mourinho telling him Kane is “injured” and etc. Sure France would want a word anyways - they’ve always felt envy for what he’s done for English football.

The way the English team is shaping up I'm sure Wenger could develop a fair few of them. I would go as far as to say his limited involvement would be better than full time for them.

Mourinho when asked why Wenger didn't mention him in his book. Deep down I bet he is raging.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

You don’t, but you don’t get the pressure every week either and he’s an old man now. International management, if any management at all, is about as high pressure as I’d like to see him involved in. He hasnt got the time to lay foundations at a club! High pressure club football for a guy who was considered outdated is the last thing he needs now. Watching him fail at his age would be awful.
He’d walk Bundesliga and La Ligue 1 with his eyes closed - with the teams I've mentioned.

Emery won French league and the team didn’t even like him. Wenger isn’t the en vogue 30 year old manager wearing Gucci on the sidelines running up and down - but he’s got enough vigour for one more stint imo. Especially if he’s walking into an elite team that lets him work.

He looks well.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

The way the English team is shaping up I'm sure Wenger could develop a fair few of them. I would go as far as to say his limited involvement would be better than full time for them.

Mourinho when asked why Wenger didn't mention him in his book. Deep down I bet he is raging.
His book and interviews lets me know he misses the day to day.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm not sure to be honest. I think he's 100% done as a club coach, I think being so removed from it all for over 2 years now and given the fact he's in is 70's it'll be difficult to get back into it the way he's done before. If he does it'll have to be purely just coaching, I don't think he'd be able to do what he did at Arsenal at another club. Even listening to him in recent interviews he seems to be questioning himself as to why he put so much energy into doing so much for so long. Maybe even he realises he was doing too much here and at the end it probably contributed to the team suffering as a result. I do also think the ship has sailed in terms of a club like PSG or that making him manager, I don't think many owners will be interested, not of that calibre anyways. None of the elite clubs want to appoint a 70 year old nowadays regardless of reputation.

I do think the national team would suite him more now, but I think in general he might be done completely. Maybe if Deschamps was to step aside after the next Euros he could take them in Qatar but even that seems unlikely at this stage.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

His book and interviews lets me know he misses the day to day.
I'm sure managing England he would still be involved. Youth teams, watching games being on hand to help managers as well. It'll be a different hands on but he could set up the whole English system based in his imagine. From under 12s right through.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He’d walk Bundesliga and La Ligue 1 with his eyes closed - with the teams I've mentioned.

Emery won French league and the team didn’t even like him. Wenger isn’t the en vogue 30 year old manager wearing Gucci on the sidelines running up and down - but he’s got enough vigour for one more stint imo. Especially if he’s walking into an elite team that lets him work.

He looks well.
He looks well for not being involved! The last few years wore on him. Ideally he’d walk into a setup primed for winning and he’d coast to a couple titles without undue stress, before riding off a winner again, but not sure those jobs are around at the top level.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I’m not sure Wenger is cut out for the modern club game, think his time is over in that regard.

Could still manage an international team though, but I’m sure he said only an Englishman should manage England etc.

France would be fun under him, but to be fair to Didier Deschamps he is getting results despite maybe not playing sexy football so you can’t really question him.

Overall, think Wenger is done. Then again, you see monkeys like Ole, Lampard and Southgate with the biggest jobs in the world.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Full quote:
“It does not upset me. With him its constant provocation. I feel like I am at kindergarten, but that is part of his personality. And it is false, we beat him (2 out of 19 times). We won, and there were also a lot of draws… And it is not “you” who wins, you participate in the victory. It is “we” who win. The manager is there to get the maximum out of the team.”

TinFish

Just watched the Graham Norton show featuring Wenger.

Interview was a bit tame, but the man draws everyone in when he speaks. He deserves a full feature length interview where he can let himself loose.

Apart from that I noticed Dawn French biting her lip and getting slightly wet when Papa Wengz spoke.

Top Bottom