• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I don’t understand how such an iconic figure who preaches his love and loyalty for the club after 2 years still can’t bring himself to attend a single home game as guest of honour?
I imagine it would hurt like mad to see so much of what you built and so many people you helped build up ripped out of the club. He would also be a distraction and might put pressure on his successors all of whom have had a chance to work outside of his shadow. I hope he'll return next season when things are hopefully more normal and Arteta is secure in his position. Hopefully Dein Friar and Graham are there to keep in company. We need reminding of who we are.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Did Wenger mention anything regarding Park signing?

Mysterious.
Said he had a great season at Monaco and was a very good player but lacked confidence.

Didn't say much more than that but you can conclude Wenger definitely knew of him and wanted him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Is this book actually interesting? Like does he talk about the backstage stuff or is it all about his time growing up in Alsace and stuff about footballers confidence he use to say in interviews?

If there's not anything juicy or peeling the curtain back on his time at Arsenal then I don't think I really care tbh. I want to hear him talk about building league winning teams, building the emirates, not winning the CL in early 2000s, Roman Abramovich buying Chelsea and their grotesque spending, having to sell his best players, the injury problems, ref's bias towards Man Utd and Fergie etc.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Is this book actually interesting? Like does he talk about the backstage stuff or is it all about his time growing up in Alsace and stuff about footballers confidence he use to say in interviews?

If there's not anything juicy or peeling the curtain back on his time at Arsenal then I don't think I really care tbh. I want to hear him talk about building league winning teams, building the emirates, not winning the CL in early 2000s, Roman Abramovich buying Chelsea and their grotesque spending, having to sell his best players, the injury problems, ref's bias towards Man Utd and Fergie etc.
You nailed it with your first paragraph, no backstage stuff. Yes there’s loads about his upbringing, his playing career and previous managerial jobs.

Does everything you mentioned in your second paragraph though. Prob not in as much detail as you’d want.

I feel like people who only knew Wenger from Emirates era would get more out of it compared to if you’ve followed us for 20 years or something.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
He’s so hurt by the exit he can’t bring himself to enter the stadium that he built just yet.

This is part of his healing, to cut ties with the club completely so he can get used to life without Arsenal. A divorce if you will - this is all confirmed by him btw. He will visit one day.

I don’t know who sh*t in your cereal but you’ve been crying all evening. Ofcourse he’s a legend.

Men like Wenger with values he holds dear and his unwavering commitment to them, are very easy to criticise. We should never get it confused though I am so proud he is synonymous with our club.
he is a football legend but not an Arsenal Football Club legend. They shat on him.

blaze_of_glory

I've heard he wrote it on his own rather than with another writer like most pubic figures do for their autobiographies. Could explain why it's not as exciting as people hoped.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Can we just delete the last couple of pages? Has very little to do with the book and whatnot.

Why does Kroenke party affiliation or donations to Orange Donny matter at all to the topic at hand?

Also, discussion of if Arsène Wenger is an Arsenal legend really is just bait of the highest order.

VancouverCanuck

Even though I have been negative about Wenger in the last few years of his tenure, I will always have respect for him, for the way he carries himself at all times.

The man is not without his fault. But he is a superb human being and one of the most accomplished football managers of all time. No one can take that away from him.

GoonerJay24

Irrelevant.

You have two icons who spent over two decades at their respective clubs. One knew when it was time to walk away. The other was adamant even when it was obvious to most that he’d taken the club as far as he could.

Now one represents his club like a true ambassador while the other is still sulking, harbours bitterness and resentment and doesn’t seem to want anything to do with the club. Disappointing form from Arsène if you ask me.

Maybe some truth but we've been worse since Wenger left; I personally think he should've stayed another five years

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I've finished the book now. It was kind of what I expected, very classy and taking the high road. It's not a book to settle scores or anything. I think it's impossible to read it and not come away with a heightened appreciation of Arsène Wenger the man.

I'd definitely recommend it, but if you're looking more for the gossipy / tabloid sort of stuff it's probably not going to be to your taste, though there is a little bit of that.

If I had one criticism, it's that there were certain parts of his career / subjects that he could have gone into in a little more depth, but I'm nit picking really.

I'd give it an 8/10. Definitely one of the better football autobiographies I've read.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I've finished the book now. It was kind of what I expected, very classy and taking the high road. It's not a book to settle scores or anything. I think it's impossible to read it and not come away with a heightened appreciation of Arsène Wenger the man.

I'd definitely recommend it, but if you're looking more for the gossipy / tabloid sort of stuff it's probably not going to be to your taste, though there is a little bit of that.

I'd give it an 8/10. Definitely one of the better football autobiographies I've read.
Did he talk about all the mistakes he made? Atleast 100’s if you believe his critics. Or did he gloss over it?

Top Bottom