• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Only 6 games in and Wengers Invincibles record remains intact once again. It really is such an incredible achievement, even with Pool and City dominating the last 2 seasons they still lost more than one game. The closest has been City 17/18 lost 2. All other winners have lost more than 2 games. Wengers greatest achievement and he's the only one to achieve it!

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He was right to go I just disagreed with the abuse. The fact he hasn't returned to management and is open to international coaching says it all.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Wenger out abuse has been arsenals downfall. We should have replaced him with a world class manager
Should have jumped on Klopp, there were posters on here telling me he was overrated after he won the league with Dortmund and list the champions league final.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Should have jumped on Klopp, there were posters on here telling me he was overrated after he won the league with Dortmund and list the champions league final.

not this tired strawman moan again.

we had over two years to sign the next klopp. what did we get?

count dracula who had been kicked out of PSG and couldnt communicate.
Freddie who had a bald big head.
Arteta who has shiny hair and zero management experience.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He was right to go I just disagreed with the abuse. The fact he hasn't returned to management and is open to international coaching says it all.
What does it say? Other than him maybe wanting to enjoy life a little instead of investing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in a club again - at 71 now too.

All the biggest jobs in Europe are held by terrible managers, even the international jobs.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Yeah, why didn’t our ambitious club get rid of that bum Wenger and hire Klopp, or Mourinho, or Carlo, or Potch etc.

Eagerly await your reply.

gamechannel

Thats because he's not a fan of the modern DOF structure. He's old school in that he believes a manager should have complete control over transfers and playing philosophy. All the big clubs that have approached him since his departure from Arsenal have a DOF structure. He will never sign up for it.

The reason he's open to international management is because he will have complete control of squad management.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Thats because he's not a fan of the modern DOF structure. He's old school in that he believes a manager should have complete control over transfers and playing philosophy. All the big clubs that have approached him since his departure from Arsenal have a DOF structure. He will never sign up for it.

The reason he's open to international management is because he will have complete control of squad management.
That in itself is not true because he was at his best with Dein doing the legwork in the market and he knows that as well as anyone.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Not what he said in a recent interview. Think age had more to do with it.

In his book he also states that he was doing far too much in Arsenal by the time he left, had less time for football.

Batman

Dien got him the players he wanted not the players Dien imposed on him. Big difference.
Dein built the team he inherited and had input as well. It's not diminishing Arsène to point out that he didn't do it alone and that once his right hand man was not around things went downhill. Again, he knows it. Let's not disrespect David Dein by acting like he was Wenger's secretary or something. He brought Wenger to the club in the first place and they collaborated.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Dein built the team he inherited and had input as well. It's not diminishing Arsène to point out that he didn't do it alone and that once his right hand man was not around things went downhill. Again, he knows it.
Decline started when we moved stadium and Wenger had to balance the books and manage the team.

Batman

Decline started when we moved stadium and Wenger had to balance the books and manage the team.
And it's not the sole reason for the decline. Dein was influential with the FA and excellent in the market. Wenger took on too much responsibility and it showed in all phases as he got worse in the market and in the coaching. I believe in an actual telling of history, not a sanitized version to make someone look better or worse. But I recognize that I'm speaking to the guy who thinks that Arsenal were some non league team pre Wenger even though pre and post Wenger we're still 3rd in league titles won in English football.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Yeah, why didn’t our ambitious club get rid of that bum Wenger and hire Klopp, or Mourinho, or Carlo, or Potch etc.

Eagerly await your reply.
Nothing to discuss here though is there I share your opinion about the board. We should have jumped on Klopp though shouldn't we.

gamechannel

Dein built the team he inherited and had input as well. It's not diminishing Arsène to point out that he didn't do it alone and that once his right hand man was not around things went downhill. Again, he knows it. Let's not disrespect David Dein by acting like he was Wenger's secretary or something. He brought Wenger to the club in the first place and they collaborated.

I dont think we are saying different things. All I'm saying is that Arsène doesn't agree with the modern DOF model where the manager has to work with the players the DOF gets as opposed to the manager identifying and getting the players he wants. Dean helped Arsène get the players he wanted as opposed to selecting players on his own and making Arsène work with them.

For example, news is now coming out the Edu overruled Arteta by signing Partey as opposed to Aouar.

Just my random unstructured thoughts and stuff that stuck out to me. Warning, spoilers and waffle on my part.

Reading the book it was interesting to see the very traditional upbringing he had which he holds very dear and carries through his life. Explains how he sees the world and why he holds everybody to the same standard.

The book is a bit misleading, as it is titled "My Life in Red & White" so you would assume its an Arsenal book, until you realise all the clubs he has managed had red and white kits/badges.

Interestingly enough he reveals the departures of the invincibles didn't hurt him as they had given their best for the club and they won stuff. Cesc, Nasri and some of the other younger talents absolutely killed him each time.

He also mentions Gazidis I think once?? I could be mistaken but the most he says about the guy is that they worked together.

He doesn't mention Kronkes much at all, just notes that English football had changed from English families passing the club down generations to being foreign owned. (a dig at some values getting lost? but that's me reading between the lines.)

One thing I did notice, to me I felt a lot of sadness when he reflected on Arsenal particularly towards the end. Throughout the book, he emphasises the sacrifices he made, the exhaustion, his unwavering commitment and dedication.

Notable sacrifices including not having time for friends, his wife, admitting he didn't really raise his daughter at all and turning down his boyhood club Real Madrid numerous times.

My main take away is I can't help but feel that he felt betrayed. He mentions hostility from the fans and "sections of the board" as factors behind his exit. He doesn't mention names or expand on it at all.

He doesn't address his shortcomings or his mistakes at all in case you're wondering. His biggest regrets are some of the players who had career ending injuries under him.
Credits most of Arsenal's decline to the enforced rigid salary structure due to stadium debts and financial doping before financial fair play kicked in.

He still hasn't watched the Champions League final till this day - yet he accurately recalls the exact minute of Jen's red card, the subs, Sol's goal and the exact minutes when we conceded. Just to give you an idea of how much it haunts him.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a follow up book, or sequel or something more Arsenal focused because he literally doesn't answer anything we wanted to know.

I know Wenger is beloved by some of you, so apologies for anything I misunderstood, plain got wrong, missed out or paraphrased incorrectly.

Oh no, was hoping he would finaly use this chance to reveal all the **** he needs to get off his chest

Top Bottom