• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger proposed changes to football

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

“It’s my dream you know, it’s not a dream I share with many people at the moment but I just think I have the advantage of having worked in Japan,” Wenger, who managed Nagoya Grampus Eight in the mid 1990s, said.

“We played from March until November and it was perfect. You would not have anymore ‘he won the Championship in season 2018-19.’ No, the championship was won in 2018 or 2019 and in 2020.

“In fact, I believe as well, we have to re-organise completely the calendar.

“In FIFA, with [president Gianni] Infantino, we try to make meeting with all the stakeholders of the game to completely reorganise the calendar year, because you have to plan in the future where you may have to travel less.”

Wenger has also called for the World Cup and Euros to be held more regularly, saying all other competitions – like the UEFA Nations League – should be scrapped.

“Organise only competitions of meaning,” he told beIN Sports.

“Kick all the parallel competitions out of the game. People must understand what is at stake and only have games with meaning.

“If you look at the teams in the World Cups usually the average age is 27 or 28. Because the World Cup is every four years there are very few chances to win it again because when they go back to the next World Cup they are 32 or 33.

“That’s why maybe we should organise the World Cup every two years.”
I like the idea tbh, avoids playing in extreme winter weather and bad pitches. Lowkey enjoy those PL matches in summer evenings after the restart.

blaze_of_glory

Not having the intense xmas period matches would be a loss for fans but probably great for the players and overall quality of the game. Scrapping the pointless international comps makes sense all around and that's a great point on most player not having many chances to play WC.

Though I guess that every year would be either WC or Euros so still no break for European players and who knows if the other regions would try to do something similar.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I like the idea tbh, avoids playing in extreme winter weather and bad pitches. Lowkey enjoy those PL matches in summer evenings after the restart.

Don’t think it gets off the ground in the UK because it’d be up against the cricketing summer, the majority of the F1 season and Wimbledon as well as the Olympics every four years.

TV wise those are huge events in their own right and all four sports benefit from the lack of competition with each other.

Then you’d have four months with literally no TV covered seasonal sport except for Rugby.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
As a creature of habit, I am against this... probably better for the players though.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Don’t think it gets off the ground in the UK because it’d be up against the cricketing summer, the majority of the F1 season and Wimbledon as well as the Olympics every four years.

TV wise those are huge events in their own right and all four sports benefit from the lack of competition with each other.

Then you’d have four months with literally no TV covered seasonal sport except for Rugby.
What do you think of the idea itself?

mirrorstare

The idea makes sense but I need my december football so no thanks. The football world is full of overpaid people, the least they can do is entertain the masses around christmas time.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

What do you think of the idea itself?

As a fan I just love Christmas football :lol:

Also there’s something fun about going to a game in the arse-end of January shivering to death on a Saturday afternoon.

I can see why the players would want it changed though. Even without the pandemic I feel like football is almost oversaturated.

The quality of the game has undoubtedly suffered with all the demands put on the players now.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Wenger trying to get rid of the best time of the footballing calendar.

Disgraceful.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
The idea makes sense but I need my december football so no thanks. The football world is full of overpaid people, the least they can do is entertain the masses around christmas time.
Oh dear, someone who never learned economics at s basic level. 🙄

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
On the subject of the WC, part of it's lustre and appeal is the fact it's only played every 4 years. You maybe get 2-3 chances to win it as a player. The rarity is what makes it stand out and feel special.

Changing the calendar is fine in principle. There's zero chance it will happen in reality though, the broadcasters wouldn't allow it.

If it's a cold afternoon Sunday afternoon in November I might just watch Crystal Palace vs Fulham. If that match is on a sunny July or August afternoon, I'm out doing something with my girlfriend or friends.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Not having the intense xmas period matches would be a loss for fans but probably great for the players and overall quality of the game. Scrapping the pointless international comps makes sense all around and that's a great point on most player not having many chances to play WC.

Though I guess that every year would be either WC or Euros so still no break for European players and who knows if the other regions would try to do something similar.

But what would fans do between November and March? The reason we play through the winter in England is cos it's bloody miserable and you need something to do. We don't play in the summer cos it's nicer and you can have a BBQ instead.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It’s a good idea when i think about it. One - it’s gets rid of the useless international games which mean nothing and two - he’s right about the age thing, you see a player at a WC at 26 and in his peak, and his next chance will be when he’s 30 and nearing the end of his career and past his peak.

The useless international games are a strong argument for me.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
It’s a good idea when i think about it. One - it’s gets rid of the useless international games which mean nothing and two - he’s right about the age thing, you see a player at a WC at 26 and in his peak, and his next chance will be when he’s 30 and nearing the end of his career and past his peak.

The useless international games are a strong argument for me.
They could go even further have have the league season from March-November, with CL/EL in December.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom