• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito'sway

Established Member
That's the point . . . they aren't gooners. They didn't go to watch matches on their dad's shoulders like I did.

RVP, Nasri, Fabregas, the list is long, they f***ed off when the chance to earn bigger money came along. They're professional footballers who'll play for the highest bidder. The John Terry's and Wenger's of this world that show loyalty when bigger offers are on the table are few and far between.

And another thing. Imagine Wenger left and a mad idiot like Mourinho came. I could see some players moving on, I would :lol:

Mate, let's not fall in some sort of dreamy romanticism here :lol:, nowadays professionals football players will go wherever their best interests are (money, career, exposure etc). Football is big business now and that is the name of the game.
The Wenger and Totti of the world (won't mention that asshat Terry) are a disappearing specie.

Last edited:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I'd imaging they were/are the same fans saying "Özil was too big for us" and begging him on IG and Twitter not to leave us a few months in to last season. :lol:

I swear I thought you said something like that a season or two back :lol:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Merson was a class footballer despite his problems. That he managed to reach the level he did says a lot about how talented he was imo.
I lived in the UK in the 80's and remember watching Merse on TV a bit. He was a class player. He had bottle (obviously!) & nuff skill.

Last edited:

OG J0E

If Wenger wins the league this season or has us put up a respectable challenge like we haven't had since 07/08, then he should be given a new contract. Otherwise, he doesn't deserve one based on his performance over the last three years since being given quite a lot of money to spend.

Voted no simply because I think the former is unlikely and, despite positivity from many over our current position, 3rd behind Sp**s is not good enough.

That said, the board will want to settle things early and offer Wenger a contract ASAP, regardless of how we end up performing.

OG J0E

And can this 'last season wasn't so bad, what about City, Utd, Chelsea etc. who spent money and also finished behind Leicester' crap be put to bed? They were an embarrassment too and guess what logical step they took to change things... they sacked the manager responsible :lol:

Doom

Leicester's 2015/16 squad does not equal the slightly unfashionable club Leicester City FC.

The squad was put together on a relative shoestring and had 3 outstanding players. All of whom were coveted this summer by more illustrious rivals.

Much as it pains that squad was excellent last season and richly deserved to win the league.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
And can this 'last season wasn't so bad, what about City, Utd, Chelsea etc. who spent money and also finished behind Leicester' crap be put to bed? They were an embarrassment too and guess what logical step they took to change things... they sacked the manager responsible :lol:
True, but the sacked Chelsea manager was rewarded with a plum job of £10 million a year with a £15 million bonus thrown in for CL silverware. Not bad for taking the second most expensive squad in the league almost down to the relegation zone.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

We have all sorts mate , including the ones saying not long ago , they'd take finishing out of the top 4 if it meant getting rid of Wenger . It is what it is .
To me that's the irony of the Anti-Wenger lobby. They say second place last season was a clusterf*** and a failure. Fair enough, their standards are set really high and they want to be best club in Britain above all else. Can respect ambition.

But then when the same people say they'd take finishing out of the top 4 to get rid of Wenger. Well . . . as you say, 'It takes all sorts'.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

That's the point . . . they aren't gooners. They didn't go to watch matches on their dad's shoulders like I did.

RVP, Nasri, Fabregas, the list is long, they f***ed off when the chance to earn bigger money came along. They're professional footballers who'll play for the highest bidder. The John Terry's and Wenger's of this world that show loyalty when bigger offers are on the table are few and far between.

And another thing. Imagine Wenger left and a mad idiot like Mourinho came. I could see some players moving on, I would :lol:
I think the only real example of a player leaving us for money was Ashley Cole ans that's because he thought he had a verbal agreement for a higher wage with us.

All the others left for trophies and I think it's an uniformed easy cope out to say they left for money. It's the political equivalent of saying immigrants are at fault for everything.

It's been well documented Man City offered Van Persie more money than United yet he still opted for United. Fabregas waived a four million pound loyalty bonus and less well documented reportedly took a pay cut to join Barcelona.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I think the only real example of a player leaving us for money was Ashley Cole ans that's because he thought he had a verbal agreement for a higher wage with us.

All the others left for trophies and I think it's an uniformed easy cope out to say they left for money. It's the political equivalent of saying immigrants are at fault for everything.

It's been well documented Man City offered Van Persie more money than United yet he still opted for United. Fabregas waived a four million pound loyalty bonus and less well documented reportedly took a pay cut to join Barcelona.
As I don't know the players personally, the only thing I know for sure is that they were offered more money (except maybe Fabregas) and they left. Suppose when interviewed by the media, they're not likely to say, 'I'm leaving for more money'.

Do any of us know the truth in individual cases? It could be either or a combination?

But immigrants are definitely not responsible for many of the problems in the UK anyway, Brexit was self inflicted. It's been proven that immigrants here give back far more than they take from the economy. So we do know the truth of that issue.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

As I don't know the players personally, the only thing I know for sure is that they were offered more money (except maybe Fabregas) and they left. Suppose when interviewed by the media, they're not likely to say, 'I'm leaving for more money'.

Do any of us know the truth in individual cases? It could be either or a combination?

But immigrants are definitely not responsible for many of the problems in the UK anyway, Brexit was self inflicted. It's been proven that immigrants here give back far more than they take from the economy. So we do know the truth of that issue.
Ferguson said RVP was offered more at City as did Wenger. Wenger said City offered him 300K pw. So it's disingenuous to say he left for money. He may have got more at United but he got offered substantially more at City. He went to where he thought he was more likely to win trophies and in fairness he was proven right.

OG J0E

True, but the sacked Chelsea manager was rewarded with a plum job of £10 million a year with a £15 million bonus thrown in for CL silverware. Not bad for taking the second most expensive squad in the league almost down to the relegation zone.
What's that got to do with it?

And yeah it's common knowledge by now that Fabregas and Persie left for football reasons, not money. RvP was offered more at Utd but not a whole lot more than he had with us, and whatever new contract we offered him would probably have mitigated most of that. We just weren't as good or big as Barcelona and Utd, nothing groundbreaking.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Ferguson said RVP was offered more at City as did Wenger. Wenger said City offered him 300K pw. So it's disingenuous to say he left for money. He may have got more at United but he got offered substantially more at City. He went to where he thought he was more likely to win trophies and in fairness he was proven right.
I read that RVP was offered £200k a week, a £10 million loyalty bonus, and an undisclosed domestic trophy bonus at United. City offered £300K but but there was a lot of uncertainty about the bonus awards. It was estimated that the total deal cost United well in excess of £70 million.

To match that Arsenal offered to shatter their pay ceiling and pay up to £150000 a week. Not much of a contest really.

Last edited:

I read that RVP was offered £200k a week, a £10 million loyalty bonus, and an undisclosed domestic trophy bonus at United. City offered £300K but but there was a lot of uncertainty about the bonus awards. It was estimated that the total deal cost United well in excess of £70 million.

To match that Arsenal offered to shatter there pay ceiling and pay up to £150000 a week. Not much of a contest really.

You are just speculating.

It was pretty obvious that Persie left because Arsenal didn't match his ambition. He went and won the title he wanted, we are still searching for it. Persie was right. Still fan of his letter, put everything out there into the open. Finally some pressure on Gazidis and Wenger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom