• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu(ardo Hagn)'s Transfer Targets: January 2021

Will We Sign The Attacking Midfielder We Need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Have you looked at individual defenders of teams that finished above Arsenal last season? I think Laca has improved but you are certainly right about him.

I mean I don't think even the club see Holding as first choice. I think he's just played a lot this season cos Luiz has played less for whatever reason and the whole Saliba situation. But yeah Lacazette is ostensibly our first choice no. 9 and is just nowhere near the level we need, he was maybe at that level for one season but that's it. Desperately need an upgrade there.

Why

Always Me ?
Just seen L'Equipe have posted the obligatory Arsenal Transfer Window rumour... Draxler to Arsenal, swap deal for Guendozi.

Like, do they think there is a room at Arsenal somewhere with pictures of targetted players on the wall that never changes until they retire?

Day one for a new Arsenal Manager they are given the key to the room and shown their transfer targets, only the dead or retired are crossed off.

Mvila, Draxler, Benzema, Gourcoff, Gotze, Higuain and Rabiot all still up on the wall.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Reading that Barcelona are ****ed. Not able to pay January wages in full (pretty sure they agreed a covid reduction in salaries also), wages at 77% of turnover, above the allowance of 75%. Huge liability due in the coming months and a real risk of insolvency. How did they not accept Man City's offer for Messi. Absolutely insane.

Must be some players worth a cheeky bid? I know we've been linked with Puig.

I mean I don't think even the club see Holding as first choice. I think he's just played a lot this season cos Luiz has played less for whatever reason and the whole Saliba situation. But yeah Lacazette is ostensibly our first choice no. 9 and is just nowhere near the level we need, he was maybe at that level for one season but that's it. Desperately need an upgrade there.

Mari has been excellent every time he has played. How many have been conceded when he's been on the pitch? His partnership with Holding ha done its work properly. Why fault them.
Bellerin and Laca I give you, but even Liverpool had Gomez in a top tier defence.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Reading that Barcelona are ****ed. Not able to pay January wages in full (pretty sure they agreed a covid reduction in salaries also), wages at 77% of turnover, above the allowance of 75%. Huge liability due in the coming months and a real risk of insolvency. How did they not accept Man City's offer for Messi. Absolutely insane.

From their point of view though offloading Puig doesn't help much. They need to offload the ones on high wages i.e Griezmann, Messi, Coutinho, Dembele etc. Dembele is the only one there you might want to take a punt on.

Thing is if they can cut their wage bill and get the older players out of the squad they'll be left with some very good young players like de Jong, Fati, Pedri, Dest, Araujo, Lenglet, Trincao and Puig, plus the likes of Ter Stegen. They should be able to build something good around that core.

balthazar

Time for Mikel pick up the phone to call Ansu

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Yeah, that Messi stuff was the cherry on top.
Absolutely mad, Barca could go from the biggest club in Europe for many years over the last decade to rock bottom.

Insane stuff.
Already wanted to say this, as bad as things could be with us, it's still better to be an Arsenal fan than a Barcelona fan right now

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think we can say it's a good window if we get a left back. The squad harmony is an important point.

Kola, Mustafi, Özil and Sokratis is clearly a click. Imagine going to training every day and you have these 4 senior players turning up to training, two of them are not involved at all and the other two barely play. The atmosphere must be so awkward.

If you look at the summer, without his buddies around Kola will most likely seek a permanent move. The summer will be about outgoings just as much as incomings.

Elneny, Xhaka, Lacazette, Bellerin, Luiz, Ceballos, AMN, Guendouzi, Torreira, Chambers, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah, and Runnarson.

I would be looking to shift all of those players out. It seems like a lot, but Luiz and Ceballos are gone anyway. Torreira, Guendouzi, Chambers, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah, Balogun, AMN and Runnarson are literally surplus to requirements.

Its literally 14 out and 5 in.

If we did that Partey would be the only central midfielder left at the club. The club would have to sign 3 CMs and that isn't happening. For that reason I think its very unlikely Xhaka or ElNeny go.

Agree with the rest though, mad how many players we have that don't contribute anything.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

@Rex Banter its finally happening, he's coming home.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Puig would be elite as long as Douzi isn't coming back, and after the news coming out of Hertha I hope he doesn't come back. Childish little toad.

Puig - Partey
Saka - Ødegaard - ESR
Haaland
The dream is coming alive.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
If we sign a left back who out of these 4 doesn't get registered for the Europa League? Ødegaard, Ryan, Martinelli, new LB.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
If we did that Partey would be the only central midfielder left at the club. The club would have to sign 3 CMs and that isn't happening. For that reason I think its very unlikely Xhaka or ElNeny go.

Agree with the rest though, mad how many players we have that don't contribute anything.

Feel like a lot of people are ignoring this and not quite realising that you need at least 4 CMs to get through a campaign. Like sure we all want to get rid of everyone except Partey but who's gonna sit on the bench and play in the cups. Azeez looks good at u-23, maybe he steps up, probably he needs a loan first. I think one of Xhaka or Elneny stays just cos we need the numbers.

senna

That's definitely not the most logical way to play them all. This would make a lot more sense:

Auba
Saka - ESR - Ødegaard
Buendia - Partey

I like it, actually.

Dont think Saka on the left works at getting the best out of Tierney as they make the same runs. Need someone who cuts in on the left so Tierney can overlap eg Martinelli.

I imagine if Buendia signs it will be a rotation between Emi, ESR, Ødegaard for 2 spots. Which is much needed with Europa league fixtures (cant really play kids anymore) and to avoid injuries as lets be honest we've looked really poor creatively without ESR in the team due to lack of alternatives.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

From their point of view though offloading Puig doesn't help much. They need to offload the ones on high wages i.e Griezmann, Messi, Coutinho, Dembele etc. Dembele is the only one there you might want to take a punt on.

Thing is if they can cut their wage bill and get the older players out of the squad they'll be left with some very good young players like de Jong, Fati, Pedri, Dest, Araujo, Lenglet, Trincao and Puig, plus the likes of Ter Stegen. They should be able to build something good around that core.
Obviously Messi and Co are the biggest drains on the wage bill but they could sell Puig for 10 to 20m and get an instant cash injection. It's hard to see anyone paying big money for those players you've listed because they haven't worked out, their wages will be big and Barcelona are up ****s creek without a paddle. Unless they are open to ridiculously low offers its gonna be the young prospects low wages moderate fee IMO.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Obviously Messi and Co are the biggest drains on the wage bill but they could sell Puig for 10 to 20m and get an instant cash injection. It's hard to see anyone paying big money for those players you've listed because they haven't worked out, their wages will be big and Barcelona are up ****s creek without a paddle. Unless they are open to ridiculously low offers its gonna be the young prospects low wages moderate fee IMO.

Yeah I guess so, maybe they look to sell Puig or Trincao. Don't think they'd sell Fati or Pedri though, they're the future crown jewels. Dembele I can see them selling for 40-50m seeing as he only has a year left. But even 40m on Dembele is a slight risk what with his injury history. That guy's like Pepe on steroids, all the talent but can he make the most of it.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In a way it would be exciting to see Barcelona fall back on their La Masia talents again. Worst run club in the last 10 years. Desperately tried to hang on to Messi giving him whatever it takes without having a long term plan to replace him and the other aging top earners (Pique, Alba, Busquets).

Also, they have allowed themselves to be bent over paying Frenkie and Griezman 350k a week reportedly. That completely screws up their balance. How are you going to attract young players on modest wages if you have such high earners?

They really have to consider who will be their star in the next 5 years and build a squad around him of young talents from La Masia. Based solely on the transfer fee and wages that would have to be Griezman I think. So figure out a system that gets the best out of him and make cheap signings to fill in the gaps.

Fati, Frenkie, Puig, Lenglet, Ter Stegen, Firpo, Dembele, Griezman as the base. Ship out Messi, Alba, Pique, Coutinho, Umtiti, Busquets, Pjanic (lol). Should balance the books a bit.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
How are people suddenly saying Saka doesn't work on the left because he had a few good games on the right? He's also had a lot of good games on the left and he's played there for most of his career.

Suddenly I see all these line ups with him consistently at RW, shoehorning ESR or Ødegaard in at LW.

You don't take 2 other players out of their best position because Saka has recently been somewhat better on the right than the left. Put them in their natural positions. Saka is a beast, he'll perform anywhere so naturally he has a few good games on the right when played there. I remember the first few games he was played there (start of the season or end of last season can't quite remember the timing) people were disappointed with his performances.

Tom349

How are people suddenly saying Saka doesn't work on the left because he had a few good games on the right? He's also had a lot of good games on the left and he's played there for most of his career.

Suddenly I see all these line ups with him consistently at RW, shoehorning ESR or Ødegaard in at LW.

You don't take 2 other players out of their best position because Saka has recently been somewhat better on the right than the left. Put them in their natural positions. Saka is a beast, he'll perform anywhere so naturally he has a few good games on the right when played there. I remember the first few games he was played there (start of the season or end of last season can't quite remember the timing) people were disappointed with his performances.

Saka and Tierney clearly don't work on the left and will never compliment each other as well as what a right footed LW would. How many of Saka's good game as LW come when Tierney was playing LB, I recall Saka playing well when he played LB or Tierney played on the left side on back three but the left was very congested when it was those two playing LB/LW.

Saka also looked better at RW at u18/23 level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom