• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 7,733
  • Views 400,065

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Idk man. There’s always risks. I don’t think the lw market is bad, it’s probably about average? Rw and striker are shocking though. There’s always some risk, if anything I’d say waiting around carries its own risk.

We’re riding the crest of a wave right now whilst others around us are stuck in the mud, which means we’re the 2nd most desirable club to play for in England and probably in the top 5 in all of Europe. That hasn’t been the case for a fkn long time, and if we don’t strike while this iron is hot and bring in some genuine WC talent then who’s to say some of our competitors don’t get their **** together soon and push us back down again?

If we bring in a risky big money signing because we want to strike while the iron is hot, if it doesn’t work out then we are damaging ourselves the way clubs always do by signing players on massive wages + big money who they can’t flip (especially because it gets written off as debt if you sell them cut price).

But I’m talking about looking who’s out there, and if not being thrilled by the options, then securing + bolstering our medium term future at the top by signing extremely talented, high ceiling players like Sesko or Doue. In the few years time you speak about we will still be up there as we’d have players like them emerging through the ranks.

I 100% agree with what you’re saying, but it all depends on IF these players are the right people for us. I don’t want us to sign a big money player for the sake of it, our squad is not in the position for us to need to take that risk. So if Arteta is confident in one of these big money signings like Rashford Leao Kvaratskelia then go for it.

I see squad planning similar to poker, you play it loose or play it tight. A lot of the poorly run and desperate clubs are playing it super loose right now. United, Chelsea, Barcelona. They sign big name or talented players who don’t even necessarily fit them, like hoarding. We did it too under Raul somewhat. Pepe or over the hill players on big wages. Liverpool and city have operated more ‘tight’, moving big when they see big potential but otherwise not spending for the sake of it. I think we in that position now.

I’d certainly go big in CM. In particular Bruno who is a known quantity and raises our level. I don’t mind us dropping £100m on him if we have to. It just depends on what Arteta thinks of the wing options out there.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
WHERE'S MY WINGER FFS :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, uh... about that...

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
I don't think it's feasible to spend tens of millions for Onana if they can't play together at all. Rice is a very durable player so game-time would be very limited if he only rests Rice.

So it doesn't seem like a very likely scenario to happen. Someone like Guimaraes who can play DMF or CMF, and fits very well with Rice seems much more likely. They can switch positions easily if the game demands it.

I just hope they can convince Guimaraes.

Yeah I don’t think it makes sense either tbh, I was just saying the only way it made sense to me. And even then it doesn’t make much sense…

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Onana is a monster, and it's crazy how mature he is for his age. He has dived into EPL seamlessly. Wanted him from France.

Still Onana, Rice, Ødegaard midfield doesn't excite me. So it's a bit hard to see how Onana fits Arsenal's squad. Onana and Rice will both still develop, but they are both more of destroyers from basic training. They are still technical for their size.

You could of course play them away against tough opponents, or when protecting a lead.
Rice, Bruno, Onana sharing 2 positions would be absolutely incredible to be fair. But I don’t know if we’d spend £160m on the midfield, and with Jorginho staying I don’t think there is space considering how durable Rice is.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Yeah, I have a feeling Onana's gonna turn out to be really good. Only 23 when the season starts, has room to grow IMO. We could do 100x worse. He's not the creative player we need, but - and I've said this before while touching wood - God forbid we lose Rice for a while, there's literally nobody in the team that does anything close to what he does for us (except Myles Lewis-Skelly and we all know that's an unlikely proposition).
It's great that Edu has tracked him for a long time. It's an advantage as usually the player is more keen to join if they know the club appreciates them.

I really wouldn't want to miss on Onana, but I currently don't see the transfer the most likeliest considering Arsenal's squad. But maybe I'm missing something. Maybe Onana stays at Everton, and Arsenal buys him in 2025 with 2 years in contract left, when Jorginho leaves?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Midfield is our most important priority for me I think this window.

Get a top midfielder, and in theory that could fix Martinelli back to his 2022/2023 form when he had Xhaka beside him...while a top left winger, doesn't fix our midfield...none of Jorginho, Partey or any of the other internal options can start there next season...least we have options for the left.

Would probably still need a starting winger anyway, but first money goes towards the middle of the park first...most important part of a team for me.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I really wouldn't want to miss on Onana, but I currently don't see the transfer the most likeliest considering Arsenal's squad. But maybe I'm missing something. Maybe Onana stays at Everton, and Arsenal buys him in 2025 with 2 years in contract left, when Jorginho leaves?
This would be sensational. Rice Jorginho Bruno(?) as our 6s and 8s next season but then Rice Bruno Onana the season after would be a dream.

Only problem is Onana could be getting big offers and propositions to be a guaranteed starter at big teams by then.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
If we …

I largely agree with what you’re saying but maybe disagree on what represents an extraordinarily risky attacking signing.

Put another way, name me a signing that city / Liverpool have made in attack (Haaland aside) that you would say fits this “low risk so go big” profile? The last ones I can think of are Mahrez and maybe Sterling? Funnily enough the one you’d think wasn’t risky (Grealish) has been underwhelming.

Liverpool haven’t made any I don’t think - all their attacking signings from Salah and Mane to Nunez and Gakpo have been risky in my mind.

There’s a lot of noise about City trying to get Musiala - would that be a risky signing for you? And if not, you want to be dealt in?

Ps: I’m all for that Desire kid btw, and I don’t think he’ll be cheap with all the names in the hat for him

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It's great that Edu has tracked him for a long time. It's an advantage as usually the player is more keen to join if they know the club appreciates them.

I think other teams need Onana more than we do. United for example could do with an Onana in midfield as they have their creative guy in Mainoo and Fernandes, now they need legs. We don't need someone as big of a hot property to back up Rice as Onana. It's a raw deal. We could just as easily bring in a Fofana for less money. It's not a great pitch either but he can play as both a 6 and an 8 aswell and is probably slightly better on the ball than Onana, while not lacking much in the athletic/powerful department.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I agree. But wouldn't Onana be better than Guimaraes, because his top speed was 36.65 km/h this season? ;) A bit faster Martinelli's.

He’d be better because he’s more press resistant and can eat up ground. That and the fee. Isn’t he like 22? He has potential.

drippin

This would be sensational. Rice Jorginho Bruno(?) as our 6s and 8s next season but then Rice Bruno Onana the season after would be a dream.

Only problem is Onana could be getting big offers and propositions to be a guaranteed starter at big teams by then.
Martinelli-Havertz-Saka
Rice-Onana-Bruno
Tomiyasu-Gabriel-Saliba-White
Raya

Bring it on. Full Stoke mode with a pinch of terrier mentality.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I largely agree with what you’re saying but maybe disagree on what represents an extraordinarily risky attacking signing.

Put another way, name me a signing that city / Liverpool have made in attack (Haaland aside) that you would say fits this “low risk so go big” profile? The last ones I can think of are Mahrez and maybe Sterling? Funnily enough the one you’d think wasn’t risky (Grealish) has been underwhelming.

Liverpool haven’t made any I don’t think - all their attacking signings from Salah and Mane to Nunez and Gakpo have been risky in my mind.

There’s a lot of noise about City trying to get Musiala - would that be a risky signing for you? And if not, you want to be dealt in?
To answer your last question, nope, don’t see Musiala as a high risk signing. I’d say it’s very likely he works out wherever he goes. He has elite level talent.

I see what you’re saying about the risky signing thing. I think it’s because I’ve seen so many big money winger signings flop recently (Pepe, Antony, Mudryk, Sancho) that I have PTSD.

Salah and Mane were signed for like £35m at the time no? I wouldn’t say that translates to £100m+ in todays market, more like 60m at a stretch. Those were like us getting Williams for £50m or Neto for £60m ‘adjusted for inflation’ wise.

But anyway I agree with what you’re saying. As I said I think it comes down to what Arteta thinks. If he believes one of these big money players I mentioned have the right drive and quality + are absolutely good enough to go big for, then I support the decision.

I’m just saying that if we don’t go for them, it’s probably because he sees it as a big gamble, and I’d get where he’s coming from in that scenario. I think big money flops really damage a team, although alternatively I think extremely well run dressing rooms (like City, Klopp’s Liverpool, and now us) are less likely to actually harbour flops. Which would work in our favour.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
@db10_therza just to explain my opinion on risky players here, players like Rodrygo (been there and done it for the best side in the world) and Musiala (just elite level baller) are less risky than Leao (not sure how hungry he is, + hasn’t ever been super prolific even in Serie A) or Rashford (lots of question marks over him, we would need to revitalise his career).

Of course the first 2 are probably not attainable, but I think there’s quite a big difference in risk in proportion to the fees + wages these players would cost compared to Leao and Rashford.

drippin

I meant as options, not all starting at the same time over Ødegaard 😂😂 although I would certainly like to see that at least for a couple games.
This is what you put out against City away when leading 0-1 after 75 minutes and Ødegaard needs rest.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This is what you put out against City away when leading 0-1 after 75 minutes and Ødegaard needs rest.
Saliba and Gabriel with Rice, Onana and Bruno sitting in front of them protecting a lead would be imperious.

Then you add White and Timber as fullbacks and it’s just not fair. Everyone is so aggressive and good at 1on1 duels.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Can we please ban the words Frenkie de Jong from the transfer area? He's on 490k per week with Covid deferred wages making it rise up to something like 720k per week.

There is absolutely ZERO chance he's coming here.

Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, June 18

Arsenal’s primary focus is strengthening their midfield, with the club leaning towards adding #6 due to having more options for this position in the market [Gunnerblog]

Arsenal will continue to follow Benjamin Šeško’s progress and maintain a relationship with the player [Gunnerblog]

Monaco midfielder Aleksandr Golovin says he would be open to joining Arsenal: “But if you move, then only to top clubs. PSG, Manchester City, Real Madrid. I would also say Arsenal, because I have always had sympathy for this club.” [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom