• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arthur Melo

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
He is progressive though. He had a brilliant season back in 2017/18 sustaining over 93% pass completion percentage over 27 games for Gremio. That is pretty impressive. He defenitely fits the profile for the type player we want in our midfield.

Barce fans key criticism was that he wasn't progressive

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Elneny has similar numbers of pass completion. That number could tell nothing. What is more important is number of key passes, assists, successful dribbling, last 3rd passes... Anything indicates a progressive attack and not only passing the ball, you can fake that stat like Elneny does.
Barce fans key criticism was that he wasn't progressive

Same with juve. He sounds very similar to el neny in his passing. Always nearest players

He's a lot better than Elneny in all of the stats you list except for assists (though far better in xA) over the last two seasons. He's close to Xhaka as well. Not as progressive in his passing but better success rate and similar or better in most progressive carries stats.

Here’s a comparison with a few other forum favorites (and a not so favorite) that shows distribution of attempted and completed passes

9A631A40-CD60-481B-96E2-6075DB783EF8.jpeg

Last edited:

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
He's a lot better than Elneny in all of the stats you list except for assists (though far better in xA) over the last two seasons. He's close to Xhaka as well. Not as progressive in his passing but better success rate and similar or better in most progressive.

Here’s a comparison with a few other forum favorites (and a not so favorite) that shows distribution of attempted and completed passes

View attachment 5681
Look how good Xhaka looks in stats but in play, being so slow and stupid doesn't help so much to us. That's my point... Stats don't show everything and it's only a way to blind you from the whole reality. If he were so good, Barcelona would have kept him and he would play every match at Juve. And we all know how difficult it can be to adapt to PL, specially coming from slower leagues like Serie A.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Look how good Xhaka looks in stats but in play, being so slow and stupid doesn't help so much to us. That's my point... Stats don't show everything and it's only a way to blind you from the whole reality. If he were so good, Barcelona would have kept him and he would play every match at Juve. And we all know how difficult it can be to adapt to PL, specially coming from slower leagues like Serie A.
Lol. Your words, not mine:
What is more important is number of key passes, assists, successful dribbling, last 3rd passes.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
He's a lot better than Elneny in all of the stats you list except for assists (though far better in xA) over the last two seasons. He's close to Xhaka as well. Not as progressive in his passing but better success rate and similar or better in most progressive carries stats.

View attachment 5681
Shows how good he is at passing and progressive passing... No complaints there.

A comparison for the same players showing the defensive numbers (tackles, interceptions, pressures, blocks, aerials won, ground duels etc) would show my concerns though.

My fear is that he's simultaneously a bit underrated on here, but still not what we need.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Shows how good he is at passing and progressive passing... No complaints there.

A comparison for the same players showing the defensive numbers (tackles, interceptions, pressures, blocks, aerials won, ground duels etc) would show my concerns though.

My fear is that he's simultaneously a bit underrated on here, but still not what we need.
Yeah for sure. Not trying to make him something he’s not, just discussing his passing ability.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I wouldn't be against an 18 month loan if that's what it takes. He will give more competition to Xhaka for 2nd/3rd choice until May and then most likely 3rd choice behind Partey and a new signing for the rest of the loan.

If it boosts our funds to strengthen other areas it could be smart business, hopefully in 18 months time when the loan finishes Lokonga, Azeez and Patino will all have progressed significantly.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I wouldn't be against an 18 month loan if that's what it takes. He will give more competition to Xhaka for 2nd/3rd choice until May and then most likely 3rd choice behind Partey and a new signing for the rest of the loan.

If it boosts our funds to strengthen other areas it could be smart business, hopefully in 18 months time when the loan finishes Lokonga, Azeez and Patino will all have progressed significantly.
So how is lokonga, azeez and Patino gonna progress significantly with xhaka, Partey, Arthur and new midfield signing. They not gonna play at all

TornadoTed

Established Member
So how is lokonga, azeez and Patino gonna progress significantly with xhaka, Partey, Arthur and new midfield signing. They not gonna play at all
Azeez and Patino out on loan As they are nowhere near ready yet. Lokonga will get plenty of minutes as 4th choice assuming we are back in Europe next season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Again i just feel we waste time with someone juve don't want to part ways with unless we offer them 18 loans and we aren't going to do that. Just waste of time window.

upthegun

I can see us signing Arthur, I think this is one that will go through. Unfortunately it’s not the Bruno G that we all want, but a loan deal would be better than nothing. The sad reality is that anything is better than currently.

Xorspy

I can see us signing Arthur, I think this is one that will go through. Unfortunately it’s not the Bruno G that we all want, but a loan deal would be better than nothing. The sad reality is that anything is better than currently.
Don't be so despondent. Arthur has a lot of potential and will be a good signing if acquired. Better than Xhaka and Elneny.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom