• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jameel46

Established Member
smokin said:
i know no one can choose where there born and i know there have been failures but thats no reason to give up.

The fact that its the ENGLISH premier league doesnt make you think we should at least have 1 english player in the starting XI ?

I love every player we have but i still think we should have someone.

if they're good enough than ofcourse they'll be in the starting line-up, but if they're not i don't think you can play them just because they're english.

smokin

obviously, i want an elgish player that is good enough.

i find it bizarre that no one cares we dont have a single englishman in an english team in an english league.

Jameel46

Established Member
smokin said:

i find it bizarre that no one cares we dont have a single englishman in an english team in an english league.

well it doesn't really matter.

nazo

Established Member
smokin said:

That's what i'm a bit afraid of. We won't hear the end of stupid comments from stupid coaches and stupid people.
I think we need at least one English player who can actually fight for a first team place.

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
i personally think that we should have a few english players in the squad. i think 3 was enough but sol is gone and cole is likely to be going

smokin

well im glad some agree, it seriously worries me that people dont care, and it seems nor does Arsène.

We clearly missed something last season and nothing seems to be happening about it.

Savaloisav

We clearly missed Cole on the Overlap last season. But end of the day theyre is no player bigger than the team and he can be replaced. If George Graham was in charge Cole wouldve gone 2 years ago. When Cole opens his mouth all i hear is " im a deceiptful lying ******" . Even after meeting up with Chelsea, i still got him on my top and kept my faith in him...But for me, hes gone 1 step too far. I love Arsenal...not Ashley Cole

LeRon

It would be great to have a couple of England 1st teamers at Arsenal but we can do without English mercenaries thankyou very much.

Oh and can anyone explain to me why it is that when we are ever reported to be interested in an English player, the value is astronomical, yet whenever another team takes a fancy they pick them up for a lot less quids?

Jameel46

Established Member
well Arsène would buy more english players if they had better technique and play with style, and another reason for the lack of english players at the big clubs is the fact that they are over-priced, buying english players is a risk because they don't know how to play in the arsenal style and the ones arsenal had in the last couple of season have had a bad attitude (jeffers,bentley, pennant, cashley) or had problems mentaly (campbell)

Meatwad

smokin said:
Because i think English players add something that foreign ones just do not, and its obviously not talent, just raw grit.

There was a reason the back line used to be incredible and alot of it was around this. Wenger has been quoted himself saying he always wanted to keep an english core, and needed to, and its now long gone and i think it shows in those Bolton-esque type games.
yeah that raw grit certainly helps england every 4 years in the world cup.

anyway wenger said that when he first joined the club, the back 5 was all english and he didn't want to break it up. obviously after he put his stamp on everything then he could ruffle as many xenophobe's feathers as he wants and sign whoever fits his budget, regardless of nationality.

karl

Meatwad said:
yeah that raw grit certainly helps england every 4 years in the world cup.

anyway wenger said that when he first joined the club, the back 5 was all english and he didn't want to break it up. obviously after he put his stamp on everything then he could ruffle as many xenophobe's feathers as he wants and sign whoever fits his budget, regardless of nationality.

Too true. The English National team always look overpaid and underperforming. The kind of English players we miss do not exist anymore. Cashley could hardly be considered a Keown type figure anyway.

In short I'm not sure that many English players have that desparation to win now becuase they are too comfortable.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
Does anyone know much about the other Gilberto in Brazilian squad(the LB). I've seen him play a couple of times, mostly in the Copa America and he was pretty solid. Came on a couple of times in the World Cup and even scored.

Fab Fabre04

it doesn't matter that we don't have any english players but as an english team we need at least 1 fighting for a place so the likes of Theo Walcott, Justin Hoyte and Kerrea Gilbert don't count.

Thing is We would have a few english players if Wenger could find one that is not over priced and has the right attitude. Meaning not a cash hungry, money grabbing, ****y ******. Some one who can be a leader

There are a few of them in the lower leagues but not many. The only decent english players nowaday s are the youth. not all are over priced, most of them have talent and the right attitude. I expect us to have around 3 to 5 english players in a few years time.

Although we might have to do something about the situation if FIFA or the FA decide they have to do something about the number of english players coming up the league.

I don't like that decision but I can understand it. It is an english league with the point to raise youngsters for the national team. If foreign players keep coming in there won't be enough english players getting a chance which will be bad for the national team. If the national team don't produce then it will affect Englands reputation.

The wankers at the F.A have got to remember that a lot of the Premierleagues T.V Revenues come because of the amount of World Class foreigner s there are in the Premierleague.

There is a similar sort of situation in my country where only 15% of the population are locals. The government is giving all kinds of prefferential treatment to locals so that they stay in the country. They are also trying to get foreigners to re-invest their money in the country.

AFCFan4Ever

As far as I'm concerned, Wenger's duty to the club and the supporteres is to put the best XI players on the pitch every week and build a squad of the best available players, period.

It shouldn't matter whether you're English, Spanish, Brazilian, French, German, etc.

Nationality shouldn't have any bearing in it whatsoever.

Meatwad

Fab Fabre04 said:
Although we might have to do something about the situation if FIFA or the FA decide they have to do something about the number of english players coming up the league.

I don't like that decision but I can understand it. It is an english league with the point to raise youngsters for the national team. If foreign players keep coming in there won't be enough english players getting a chance which will be bad for the national team. If the national team don't produce then it will affect Englands reputation.
That's just a load of crap spouted by the English media after one failure after another. It doesn't hurt France, pretty much everyone of their top players play outside the country. England's problem is that they don't have enough truly world class players to fill the big 4 EPL teams more over be able to leave the country and play for top teams in La Liga or Serie A. France has players in all the big leagues, even some who don't make their national team. English talent is overpriced not because they are overhyped but because there are so few of them you have to pay a premium.

England's youth development system is out of date and broken, but it's easier to blame "the foreigners" than to look within and see how you can copy "the frogs". If Arsenal could go across England and snap up every talented 12 year old and put them in the academy it would be much better for the England national team than having some $hit lower level club getting their hands on the best talent. Then you would have a trickle down system instead of one that flows upwards. The guys that reach 16 and don't have "it" could then sign with another club (for free, since the big club doesn't want them) and join their youth team or stay on and fight harder. But no in their arrogance because they "created the game and football needs to come home" they'll do what they've been doing all along. Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. Instead we're limited to a specific area where we can pull talent from and the cycle continues. We'll continue scouring Europe for the best 16 year olds since they are generally better than 16 year old English kids, not because they were born that way, but because they were getting proper technical training from they were at least 12.

Oh and FIFA or the FA won't have a "native" requirement. The homegrown rule (which doesn't mean from that country) is as far as they'll go and the EPL teams were upset with that and I think that's a reasonable ruling. So you can forget about an obscene xenophobic idea like that ever getting through now a days.

asajoseph

Established Member
I read an article about this on Vitalfootball about Cole by a Chelsea fan today - can't find it now though. Seems like they're not too enamoured with paying huge money (like it matters) for a backstabbing **** either...

Legend#1

Established Member
I hate the ****, but Cole always gave it his all.

I also want an English player in the 1st team, or fighting for a place.

Artillero

asajoseph said:
I read an article about this on Vitalfootball about Cole by a Chelsea fan today - can't find it now though. Seems like they're not too enamoured with paying huge money (like it matters) for a backstabbing c**t either...

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... sp?a=24832

The smart thing for Chelsea to do would be pull out and leave us with the ****.

I fear this may be Joses thinking as well, 20 million to Arsène is one hell of a risk.

asajoseph

Established Member
Also, if anyone wants another, completely ****ish oppinion on the whole Cole affair, Anti over on Arsenal wtf? has truly excelled himself.

The guy's an absolute knobjockey - don't ask me for a link, I'm not going to do him the honour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom