• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artillero

I think my hate for Cole was summed up this morning when I watched the old
clip of RVN stamping on his leg. All I said was 'Good on you Ruud' :eek:ops: !

Two years ago Cole was the future of Arsenal, next captain and fans hero.

Now he is hated by gunners, quite disliked by Chelsea fans and generally a laughing stock to other fans.

chelsie

^^^
That's not really fair is it. The difference between Ash and T is that Ash is naive and easily led. T isn't.

It's down to the agents at the end of the day to have their clients best interests...Jon, unfortunately had been looking to line his pockets. He probably Although Ash does deserve some blame in this too. For being stupid.

It's a shame it's come to this. Ash really could have been a legend.

Apparently, Wayne Bridge is going for 2 mil. So maybe we should put in a bid or they should throw him in as part of the deal. IF the deal goes through.

patrick42uk

Established Member
even if there wasnt this whole cole saga and the relationship between player and club was fine, i'd still be tempted to sell him for 30 million if the bid was on the table. end of the day, lbs dont decide the success of the team. i have been saying for ages that good lbs grow on trees. the assets required are obvious, particularly for our system, pace and stamina to get forward. in the forward positions, the lb doesnt have to particularly do anything. i mean cole is said to be great offensively but he doesnt actually create much. he doesnt have a killer shot or a great cross on him. its just his presence in the forward position thats required. pace and stamina gets you in that position. i have no problem going into the season with traore and clichy.

i think cole might have been pissed off at the hypocrisy of it all. tapping up happens in football all the time and i'm sure arsenal are involved in that.

Harding

i can hear the chants of the arsenal faithfull already....

...."OH ashleeeeey cole
is a ****ing asshole
is a ****ing asshole"

Grampus_Eight

What is the going rate for a Chelsea starter?

Carvalho signed from Porto at age 26 for £20M.  Not a player of Cole's caliber.  Yes, a CB, but not considered the best in the world, or even the second best on his team (Terry, Gallas). He is by no means an automatic selection and has been dropped for long stretches for amongst other things being stupid and possessing a sub-standard IQ.

Ferriera signed from Porto Chelsea at age 25 for £13,200,000. While one of the best right backs in the Premiership, he has been deemed short of the international standard by Big Phil.  

Since both of these players were purchased from Porto and neither came with much of a profile in English football at the time, it seems worth looking into what Chelsea paid for its big names.

Makelele signed from Real Madrid at age 30 for £16.6M.  He was to certain to have no residual value at the end of his contract.  

Essien signed from Lyon at age 23 for £24.4M. Intended starter.

Drogba signed from Lyon at age 26 for £24M. Intended starter.

Shaun Wright-Phillips signed from Man City at age 24 for £21M. Intended sub.

But the real precedent is John Obi-Mikel, a player deemed to be worth in the neighborhood of £4M by United, but tapped-up by Chelsea.  Eventually the matter was taken to FIFA, but before a decision was made Chelsea settled and purchased him for £16M.  A player with little chance of breaking into the starting XI in the next few years, but who finished runner-up to Messi at the youth world cup.  So Chelsea paid £12M above his valuation to make the scandal go away.  Cole-gate, while not as dramatic (no kidnapping accusations or extortion claims) and already adjudicated is a similar dispute.  But we went public against Chelsea, something United were compensated handsomely not to do.  

But Mikel had never played a game for United.  Played in the Norwegian league and wasn't considered the best player in the world at his position.  So all in all, anything less than £25M seems unreasonably low, especially if Cole will be getting close to the Chelsea galatico wage and Wayne Bridge is on his way out.  £16M may have been the Real Madrid price, but it sure as sh*t isn't the Abramovich price.

Don't forget that Abramovich just payed an extra few million quid for Sheva for no other reason than he wanted to break the English record set by United...

Harding

if i was wenger...i know i am not but if i was....my talks with chelsea over cole would go something like this:

"ok jose, you want cole and he obviously wants to play for you...fair enough we will accept a fee of £12.5million for him and will allow him to negotiate a contract with you....now youre probably thinking that £12.5 million is a decent price for a player of coles calibure, but theres a catch my friend....we want £12.5million+ willy gallas! if you decline to this then you will have to pay at least £22 million for cole, otherwise there is no deal!....are we clear chico?"

Army of Me

Established Member
DOUBLE-YOU said:
All this over £5000. yes i know cole as been a pr*ck but arsenal sh*tted on him first. He's the best leftback in the world. He should have been paid what was agreed. imagine the same situation happening to you at your work place.
holy **** mate, if my boss told me i was getting 55k a week instead of 60k, i'd have bitten his ****ing hand off :lol:

Gurgen

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
even if there wasnt this whole cole saga and the relationship between player and club was fine, i'd still be tempted to sell him for 30 million if the bid was on the table. end of the day, lbs dont decide the success of the team. i have been saying for ages that good lbs grow on trees. the assets required are obvious, particularly for our system, pace and stamina to get forward. in the forward positions, the lb doesnt have to particularly do anything. i mean cole is said to be great offensively but he doesnt actually create much. he doesnt have a killer shot or a great cross on him. its just his presence in the forward position thats required. pace and stamina gets you in that position. i have no problem going into the season with traore and clichy.

Post of the day.

As Ziontrain said, we got to the CL final with a midfielder at left back. Ashley Cole is good in our system, because he can run for 90 minutes and has great recovery pace. He makes his runs and allows the left winger to cut inside and distribute play, a la Pires. When he gets the ball he hardly ever does anything. I recall one good cross leading to a goal from him, and it was at Stamford Bridge. I'm sure he will feel right at home.

Ziontrain

Grampus_Eight said:
But the real precedent is John Obi-Mikel, a player deemed to be worth in the neighborhood of £4M by United, but tapped-up by Chelsea. Eventually the matter was taken to FIFA, but before a decision was made Chelsea settled and purchased him for £16M....... So Chelsea paid £12M above his valuation to make the scandal go away.

Exactly. And if Obi, an uproven 16 yr old with 1 year left n his contract is £16m, then why should a 25 yr old England left back be the same price? What - is Roman down to his last stolen billion or something?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Grampus_Eight said:
What is the going rate for a Chelsea starter?

Carvalho signed from Porto at age 26 for £20M.  Not a player of Cole's caliber.  Yes, a CB, but not considered the best in the world, or even the second best on his team (Terry, Gallas). He is by no means an automatic selection and has been dropped for long stretches for amongst other things being stupid and possessing a sub-standard IQ.

Ferriera signed from Porto Chelsea at age 25 for £13,200,000. While one of the best right backs in the Premiership, he has been deemed short of the international standard by Big Phil.  

Since both of these players were purchased from Porto and neither came with much of a profile in English football at the time, it seems worth looking into what Chelsea paid for its big names.

Makelele signed from Real Madrid at age 30 for £16.6M.  He was to certain to have no residual value at the end of his contract.  

Essien signed from Lyon at age 23 for £24.4M. Intended starter.

Drogba signed from Lyon at age 26 for £24M. Intended starter.

Shaun Wright-Phillips signed from Man City at age 24 for £21M. Intended sub.

But the real precedent is John Obi-Mikel, a player deemed to be worth in the neighborhood of £4M by United, but tapped-up by Chelsea.  Eventually the matter was taken to FIFA, but before a decision was made Chelsea settled and purchased him for £16M.  A player with little chance of breaking into the starting XI in the next few years, but who finished runner-up to Messi at the youth world cup.  So Chelsea paid £12M above his valuation to make the scandal go away.  Cole-gate, while not as dramatic (no kidnapping accusations or extortion claims) and already adjudicated is a similar dispute.  But we went public against Chelsea, something United were compensated handsomely not to do.  

But Mikel had never played a game for United.  Played in the Norwegian league and wasn't considered the best player in the world at his position.  So all in all, anything less than £25M seems unreasonably low, especially if Cole will be getting close to the Chelsea galatico wage and Wayne Bridge is on his way out.  £16M may have been the Real Madrid price, but it sure as sh*t isn't the Abramovich price.

Don't forget that Abramovich just payed an extra few million quid for Sheva for no other reason than he wanted to break the English record set by United...

Most definitely. And why not insist on Gallas or Essien as part of the deal?

Bridge wants out (average player), Chelsea know that RM are also chasing a left back - they really are in no position to be calling any sort of shots. We're in the driving seat.

I very much disagree with those saying he's 'only a left-back'. The left side has been a fundamental part of Arsenal's success in recent years and has depended very much upon the synergy between Cole, Pires and Henry. Notice his runs when he goes beyond the opposition defence. Traditional LB's go as far forward as possible next to the byline and look to put in a cross - Cole almost always ends up in the CF position and takes the opposition right-back with him, leaving a huge gap for whoever is down the left (usually Henry).

That understanding takes years to develop. His sale would weaken us considerably, and we need to get the MAXIMUM out of Chelsea to even consider doing business with them.

Gallas and Essien plus £25m. Our terms or no terms.

Gurgen

Established Member
Ziontrain said:
Grampus_Eight said:
But the real precedent is John Obi-Mikel, a player deemed to be worth in the neighborhood of £4M by United, but tapped-up by Chelsea. Eventually the matter was taken to FIFA, but before a decision was made Chelsea settled and purchased him for £16M....... So Chelsea paid £12M above his valuation to make the scandal go away.

Exactly. And if Obi, an uproven 16 yr old with 1 year left n his contract is £16m, then why should a 25 yr old England left back be the same price? What - is Roman down to his last stolen billion or something?

Obi is 19 I believe and hardly unproven. He owned both the U-20 WC and the African Nations.

DOUBLE-YOU

Harding said:
if i was wenger...i know i am not but if i was....my talks with chelsea over cole would go something like this:

"ok jose, you want cole and he obviously wants to play for you...fair enough we will accept a fee of £12.5million for him and will allow him to negotiate a contract with you....now youre probably thinking that £12.5 million is a decent price for a player of coles calibure, but theres a catch my friend....we want £12.5million+ willy gallas! if you decline to this then you will have to pay at least £22 million for cole, otherwise there is no deal!....are we clear chico?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: i can see it. straight out of a scene from scarface.

ok ok. big man you wanna spend big bucks. lets see how tough you are eh?.. you know that cole man... speakto me...he coming in on friday. you can come and check him out. if he is what they say he is, you pay us £12m and give us gallas back....and chico, if anything goes wrong david dein gonna stick your head up abramovich ass faster than a rabbit gets f*cked

kanooo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 215586.stm

Well, if the latest news is true, then he could be going.

Although I don't like his attitude, I'd be realy sad to see one of our finest players leave. He's still young as well. It would be really sad to face him when we meet Chelsea.

But on a brighter side, Clichy could step up and Flamini has also shown that he's a capable player there. And if we really cashed in 30 million pounds, that's quite a lot to spend.

AV Gooner

DOUBLE-YOU said:
Harding said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: i can see it. straight out of a scene from scarface.

ok ok. big man you wanna spend big bucks. lets see how tough you are eh?.. you know that cole man... speakto me...he coming in on friday. you can come and check him out. if he is what they say he is, you pay us £12m and give us gallas back....and chico, if anything goes wrong david dein gonna stick your head up abramovich ass faster than a rabbit gets f*cked
:thumbup :lol: brilliant posts

Spec

This quote is from a Chelski fan(I just it was so funny)...When talking about buying Cole and selling Bridge in the process "If we sell Bridge, we WON'T HAVE A BIG ENOUGH SQUAD to challenge thfor the CL."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom