• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Asier del Horno

asajoseph

Established Member
Those of you that recall the rather dull friendly between England and Spain a few months ago will probably recall full back Asier Del Horno, scorer of the spanish goal. Well, now he's been linked to us. Wasn't very impressed with him, in that game, and I doubt this one highly, butI just thought I'd pass on the rumour.

<a class="postlink" href="http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=264021&cpid=23&CLID=3&lid=&title=English+giants+eye+Del+Horno&channel=Football_Home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://skysports.planetfootball.com/lis ... tball_Home</a>

PS. At the time of posting, the article was not completed for viewing - should be soon.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
He's highly rated in Spain, but I haven't seen alot of him to be honest. I've seen more of Sergio Ramos and have been highly impressed with him. I would like us to go in for him at some stage.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i always thought this would be the guy chelsea would sign, wih him being latin and all. very good going forward and has scored some decent long range strikes in his time. he's the same age as cole, but to be honest i'd prefer cole. but not because cole is far and away the better player, i dont beleive that, but sometimes stability is important. even if cole went, i'd probably be against this signing simply because it would be unfair to clichy. i'd like the boy to be first choice with a player of lesser reputation and lesser ability than del horno as back up.

KingReyes

Established Member
If Cole leaves then Clichy should be given the LB spot, he's earnt it. Whether we have adequate backup is another thing.

Mark

Established Member
I've seen a bit of this guy this season. He is good, but I think a LB is the last thing we need.

Evil Dragon

KingReyes said:
If Cole leaves then Clichy should be given the LB spot, he's earnt it. Whether we have adequate backup is another thing.

I thought Del Horno was a right back, or is he not :?

patrick42uk

Established Member
Soler said:
patrick42uk said:
i always thought this would be the guy chelsea would sign, wih him being latin and all

He's Basque, and they aren't exactly latins. :p

is there a difference? but now that you bring it up, are basque players allowed to move to non-basque clubs? or is it that bilbao only sign basque players? i'm sure one or the other is true

Mark

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Soler said:
patrick42uk said:
i always thought this would be the guy chelsea would sign, wih him being latin and all

is there a difference? but now that you bring it up, are basque players allowed to move to non-basque clubs? or is it that bilbao only sign basque players? i'm sure one or the other is true

It's the latter I think.

Soler

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Soler said:
patrick42uk said:

is there a difference?

There is actually a difference. Spaniards are latins in the indo-european racial group, Basques aren't indo-european. In fact there is no one set group Basques fall under, one theory is that Basques arrived in the region during the neanderthalensis era, which is a few thousand years before the indo-european arrivals in Europe in about 3000BC.

Basque language bares no resemblance to any other language in the world. It's completely on its own, under the category of 'language isolate'. I believe Almunia is Basque too.

And that's the free anthropology lesson of the day :p

but now that you bring it up, are basque players allowed to move to non-basque clubs? or is it that bilbao only sign basque players? i'm sure one or the other is true

It's the latter. Zubizaretta moved to a non-Basque club for example. Sociedad used to have the same policy that Bilbao had, but they've done away with it. Bilbao's used to be so strict that they only signed players born in Basque Country, but now they're allowed to sign anyone with Basque heritage.

Lizarazu could play for Bilbao despite being a Frenchman.

Lord Dula

Established Member
I think signing this guy could be bad for team morale. Can imagine Del "Horno" bastard tryin to shag the players wives :lol:

luma

have u seen this guy he is good he can play on the right and real madrid and chelsea also intrested we should try and get him

Double_H

Established Member
He is one of the best LB ...he is very good Header too he score more with his head ...
he scored 5-6 goals last season and around 4-5 this season ..for a left Back its alot ( beside R.Carlos Though ) and most of the goals with his head

he will go to LiverPool Next season ...mark my words ;)

Rafa Knows

Ratinho

Established Member
Finally being linked with some genuine class.

This guy is a fantastic player, but I wouldn't read much into it, as he'll be in Spain for a while yet, with someone like Madrid or Barca.

brianfrance

Established Member
Soler said:
patrick42uk said:
Soler said:
patrick42uk said:

is there a difference?

There is actually a difference. Spaniards are latins in the indo-european racial group, Basques aren't indo-european. In fact there is no one set group Basques fall under, one theory is that Basques arrived in the region during the neanderthalensis era, which is a few thousand years before the indo-european arrivals in Europe in about 3000BC.

Basque language bares no resemblance to any other language in the world. It's completely on its own, under the category of 'language isolate'. I believe Almunia is Basque too.

And that's the free anthropology lesson of the day :p

but now that you bring it up, are basque players allowed to move to non-basque clubs? or is it that bilbao only sign basque players? i'm sure one or the other is true

It's the latter. Zubizaretta moved to a non-Basque club for example. Sociedad used to have the same policy that Bilbao had, but they've done away with it. Bilbao's used to be so strict that they only signed players born in Basque Country, but now they're allowed to sign anyone with Basque heritage.

Lizarazu could play for Bilbao despite being a Frenchman.

Totally right, and even Fernandez could be the coach despite being a frenchman as he's basque too - but I think the basque identity is far more important in spain than in france (there's no eta here for example)

jacc_7_1

I would say the last thing that we need right now in the team is full back
i believe we are well covered in this area

dsurg

Barca have been chasing him for a couple of seasons now.

He is very good.

He probably is been linked with us just because he is spanish and nowadays he get linked with a lot of spanish players. In the past it was french or french speaking players.

With the arrival of Reyes and Cesc, any good player in the Primera Liga is linked with us.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom