• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aston Villa: Unai Enemy

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Ok, so I've been part of the forum for a while now and seeing as I've just clinched promotion to "forum member" I thought I'd use my new found freedom to Start a topic on the club I support, seeing as you don't seem to have one, or at least I can't find one!

As I said when I introduced myself here that I'm not here to gloat over any past result (you've got far more favourable ones in recent years than we have) and I'm not here to goad you about 4th place this year. That's not what this topic was about.

I just thought rather than me clog up any other threads where we should be talking about Arsenal with stuff about Villa, we could have this little old thread where you guys can tell me what you really think about the so called gatecrashers of the big 4.

So that's it. What do you think of us? Are you really threatened by us this year? Anyone you particularly like or dislike in the Villa team? Let me have it.

My 2 cents on the matter is obviously Villa have improved this season but the calls that we will finish in the top 4 are premature I think. I think if we keep building we'll have a chance over the next couple of seasons but the emergence of City after their inevitable spending spree will make it difficult and other teams such as Everton or the **** from North London (not you, the white ones) may also improve. But this season I just still think there is too much about any of the top 4 to drop out of it for now...would be nice though, I'd just rather it was any of the other three as opposed to you. What I wouldn't give to replace the bindipping redscouse in that top 4!

1658946863304.png

Tony Montana

Established Member
I think we could seriously lose 4th place. Most people aren't worried about Villa but their confidence will grow and grow.

I tell you what. I can't wait til we play you at Villa Park.

ricky1985

Established Member
Nice to see a rival fan get promotion. It is good to hear an objective view on the status quo at Arsenal.

As for Villa, you have a really exciting team. Agbonlahor and Young are ripping teams to shreds at the moment, and I think Curtis Davies and Laursen are really good players as well.

Unlike most on here, I don't think you will come close to breaking into the top four this season. I think you will dip and we will only improve.

I like Martin O'Neil, he is refreshingly honest. Even if his remarks about Ashley Young being 'as good as Ronaldo and Messi' were completely ridiculous.
I would much rather see you do well, over teams like Man City, Tottenham and Everton who I can't stand for differing reasons.

Wembley79

Welcome Steve,

I have to admit to watching a little nervously the progress that Martin O'Neil has made at Villa. He has got your lot playing some good stuff, with frightening pace.

I think that it may be a bit soon for Villa, as you have been very fortunate so far with injuries. I'm not sure what will happen if you get injuries to Agbonlahor (sp?) and Young.

Still, nice to have someone other than the **** fighting for that 4th place ;)

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
You're right Wembley, we have been lucky with injuries, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that our injury count has been extremely low since we built our new training ground and facilities etc. we brought Laursen back from a career threatening knee injury at a time when he himself said he'd never be able to play a full season again and look at him now. He hasn't been injured in 18 months.
We would struggle with injuries in certain places. We have plenty of defenders although another right back would be nice and CM is sorted, but if Ashley Young or Agbonlahor were to get injured we'd be half the team we are now.

And I agree with both of you, 4th is beyond us this year I feel. I'm not sure we'll dip too much, but as you said, Arsenal will only get better and the rest of the big 4 are hardly firing on all cylinders at the moment, so it's a bit too optimistic this season.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
Wembley79 said:
Welcome Steve,

I have to admit to watching a little nervously the progress that Martin O'Neil has made at Villa. He has got your lot playing some good stuff, with frightening pace.

I think that it may be a bit soon for Villa, as you have been very fortunate so far with injuries. I'm not sure what will happen if you get injuries to Agbonlahor (sp?) and Young.

I just can't help but disagree with that. I've watched them play a couple of times this season and they are one of the most boring teams out there. They rely exclusively on pace from Agbonlahor & Young. Take the games agains us, Everton & ManU. They had 9 men behind the ball at all times. Defended all match and lumped the ball hoping for a fast break. They've ridden their luck far too long and I can guarantee you that it will run out eventually.

GaelForce22

Established Member
At the start of the season I had you picked to get the 4th spot, but ahead of Liverpool. You definitely haven't failed to impress but I'm now not too sure if you have enough to get there.

If Martin O Neill strengthens in January (a striker, maybe one more full back and winger too) then you'll be capable of capitalising on any slip ups from the 'top 4'. But that is what will need to happen - a slip up from one of the already established sides. Right now your squad is paper thin and you're struggling to cope without Carew. If the same happens to Agbonglahor, Laursen or Young for any period of time will the team be able to cope? That said, I really like watching you play, the link play between Agbonlahor and Young is terrific while the Laursen-Cuellar/Davies combo at the back is one of the best in the league. To be honest, as long as it's not at the expense of us I'd love to see you get in the Champions League this year. It is time the top 4 got shaken up and seeing Liverpool, Chelsea or United on channel 5 would be a great day for me. :lol:

Quick question Stevo, would you rather finish 5th with the Fa Cup or get in the top 4 this season?

@ Moses - I've seen them play a few times too and they've been very defensive against the big teams but I wouldn't say lucky. They're just very clinical on the break. Also, without Carew recently they haven't had much choice but to play with five midfielders.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
To be fair moses, we are lacking in the striking department and so we've had to play a 4-5-1 recently which does restrict us a bit.

I don't think you can judge our performances against you lot and Utd though as how we typically play because no team can play open attacking football against you and united and win. They were tactical games and it paid off.

Against Everton we were just very poor and we were lucky, but it was Young's genius that pulled us through.

Wembley79

Shadow Moses said:
Wembley79 said:
Welcome Steve,

I just can't help but disagree with that. I've watched them play a couple of times this season and they are one of the most boring teams out there. They rely exclusively on pace from Agbonlahor & Young. Take the games agains us, Everton & ManU. They had 9 men behind the ball at all times. Defended all match and lumped the ball hoping for a fast break. They've ridden their luck far too long and I can guarantee you that it will run out eventually.

Well, fair point - but I seem to remember us playing the same way at times, when we had players like Overmars, Anelka and Henry - after all, wasn't the Arsenal counterattacking game quite renowned?

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
GaelForce22 said:
If Martin O Neill strengthens in January (a striker, maybe one more full back and winger too) then you'll be capable of capitalising on any slip ups from the 'top 4'. But that is what will need to happen - a slip up from one of the already established sides.

That right there is exactly rigth, Gael, and is what I have been saying for a while. We are capable of getting 4th, but only if you or someone else slips up. Whilst we aren't performning too well at the moment we can't expect our results to get much better, and we are only just in there now.

I know we currently sit 4th, but it's still yours to lose in my opinion.

As for your conundrum, if 4th place meant we'd stay there, or at least challenge for there for the forseeable future, i'd take that. if it would just be a flash in the pan a la Everton a few years back, I'd take the FA Cup (or UEFA ;)) every day of the week.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
I'm by no means saying Villa are a bad team but I just can't agree with the 'good stuff' bit. For good stuff, I'd say us, ManU, new Chelsea and Sp**s(ye, I said it).

True Gooner

Established Member
I don't think Villa will be able to nick 4th place this season but if Villa continue progressing the way they have been, carefully and consistently, and we don't strenghten our position in the summer we'll definitely find ourselves in a very uncomfortable position come next season - especially if you improve your squad depth (which is what I think your weakness might be)

I used to have a lot of time for Aston Villa, but I dunno, your away fans that sang about Eduardos leg (it was literally a week after it happened?!) while I was sitting right next to them...

Shadow Moses

Established Member
Wembley79 said:
Shadow Moses said:
Wembley79 said:
Welcome Steve,

Well, fair point - but I seem to remember us playing the same way at times, when we had players like Overmars, Anelka and Henry - after all, wasn't the Arsenal counterattacking game quite renowned?

There's counter attack with four to five players and there's defending for your life and hoping for a lucky break with one or maybe two players at most. The latter is what Villa have been doing lately. (minus the Bolton game).

Tony Montana

Established Member
Personally I think Arsenal play relatively dull football. Villa have been better than us this season, as have Chelsea.

ricky1985

Established Member
Villa remind me of Man United in the way they play football, with less intricacy and flair around the box.

They destroy weaker teams by being direct. They get Ashley Young to put 15 crosses in a game, and have Carew and Agbonlahor and midfield runners attack them. I don't particularly like that sort of football, but it can be exciting to watch from time to time. Just not for me.

When playing against stronger teams (again much like Man United) they sit deep and break at great speed.

All in all their football would work well in the Premiership, but against a good team in Europe, who can open them up whilst keeping the ball. They'd be in trouble, and would have to defend like Gods.

I think some of your players are destined for Man United, because of the similar style. Ashley Young in particular is Ferguson's kind of wide man. I bet Fergie wishes he signed Young instead of Nani, thats for sure.

BTW - is it your birthday today mate? If so Happy Birthday!

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
True Gooner said:
I used to have a lot of time for Aston Villa, but I dunno, your away fans that sang about Eduardos leg (it was literally a week after it happened?!) while I was sitting right next to them...

That was unfortunate. i do think it was blown out of proportion a bit, but I definitely don't condone the chanting. but it was only a handful of fans, some of which I would like to think got caught up in the moment and had they actually thought about it wouldn't have sung it.

But please don;t judge all our fans on that one incident as I think we have one of the better set of away fans in the league.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Shadow Moses said:
There's counter attack with four to five players and there's defending for your life and hoping for a lucky break with one or maybe two players at most. The latter is what Villa have been doing lately. (minus the Bolton game).

I'll admit we played like that against United and Everton, but I don't think that's how we played against you lot and in most of our games.

We usually break with numbers. Young and Gabby are always involved but Milner and Sidwell/Barry are often up there with them. I'd like to think we are entertaining when we play well, but I am biased ;)

O and Ricky, yes it is my birthday, thanks!

kamikaze80

Established Member
i thought you guys played well against us, had waves of attackers coming from midfield and just overran us at times at our own place. it was embarrassing and shouldve been a wakeup call.

i hope you guys stick to your guns and dont sell any of your guys to united or pool. feel free to sell us ashley young, though ;). if you can strengthen in depth in midfield, you'll be able to challenge on more than one front, which will be necessary to break into the top four for good (or at least make it a top five).

Illusion

Established Member
I've liked Villa for years personally, long before this new team has arisen under the jolly Irishman.

Hard to put a finger on why, perhaps because they were always next to Arsenal in the Premier League sticker collections long long ago (I only collected 94 and 95 for those remembering the same thing).

I guess I liked the name/logo/kit back then as well as a couple of the players perhaps. Right now I tend to appreciate the way they play on the pitch as well as the things I liked of old. I want to see Villa rise up and become a much stronger team in this country and bag themselves a top four place at least once, I just don't want to see it at the expense of my beloved Arsenal. I also appreciate the manager and owner in the way they carry the club and the long term plan they have.

Villa are one of the few teams I'm happy to manage in the Premier League on Football Manager as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom