• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Atmosphere at Emirates

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Whatever, any opinion is fine with me as long as it is backed up with objective reasoning.

Of course Leicester have looked brilliant but there is no doubt that it is rather ironically amusing for an Arsenal supporter to use Leicester to deny a Sp**s fan's claim that they are the best team.
If psuedo-intellectualism ever morphed into a human being...

Wilshere's Right

All I can say is that on a visit to London in December I took my wife to her first match (Bournemouth, 2-0, Gabriel and Özil). After 20 minutes my wife looks around and says "Why is it so quiet? Why aren't people signing? I would refuse to play for these fans!"

While it did pick up a little bit into the game, the atmosphere was really rubbish. And we were sitting with the quite vocal fans.

DanishDoc

Atmosphere and results at the Emirates are our biggest weakness ... fortress Highbury it is not ... but you get three points for a win home or away, in the stats it makes no feckin' difference, an away win at the Spuds will do me just fine .... but a home win on Sunday is a must ...

How to fix the atmosphere? probably can't be done without a standing terrace ... so let's hope that happens sometime soon ....

Hopefully it'll come soon enough! It's ridiculous that the clubs aren't allowed to do it, what are the arguments agiant this?

But would Arsenal even do it if was allowed?
Look at Germany.. Just look at Germany, FA..

logic DC

yeah it's woat probably the worst in the whole division, such a pity considering our glorious stadium.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
All I can add is when I was a kid and was first taken to Highbury with my family which would have been back in 88 or 89 I think, it was no library then. It was a proper exciting and intimidating at the same time experience. The North Bank which was still standing was so loud and the opposition goalie would get serious s**t all game long. It's such a massive reason I fell in love with both football and the club.

Everything moves on, football and specifically English football is unrecognisable from what it was back then and I think to myself that's just the way it is and the whole fan and communal experience doesn't really exist in the same way as it did - and then I watch German football and sigh because you realise that over there a special relationship still exists between the fans and it's clubs and somewhere down the line something went wrong. I don't know what or why that is, whether it's a society thing or whether a certain demographic of fans were priced out, I just don't know.

You can't deny the Premier League as consumable product is an incredible success, but seeing all these demonstrations about ticket prices is really quite sad I think.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Surprised to hear yesterday we've only increased season ticket prices twice in the last eleven years.

Also, Arsenal season ticket holders get 26 games a season, compared to the 19 games offered by all the other clubs. Arsenal include the first 7 cup games in their season ticket. So we might have the most expensive season ticket but you're getting many more game's, FA Cup/CL games.

Billytheyid

Surprised to hear yesterday we've only increased season ticket prices twice in the last eleven years.

Also, Arsenal season ticket holders get 26 games a season, compared to the 19 games offered by all the other clubs. Arsenal include the first 7 cup games in their season ticket. So we might have the most expensive season ticket but you're getting many more game's, FA Cup/CL games.
Sp**s season tickets have 21 games: 19 premier league and the first 2 cup games. I suppose even if you get knocked out of the League and FA cups at the first round you compete in, 21 games would be the absolute minimum.

Arsenal must be a bit more confident than Sp**s I suppose but still if you don't make the group stages of the CL you might not have 7 cup games.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Hillsborough & the Taylor report and the ever increase in ticket prices has effectively put English football onto the path its been on since '91, and 20-odd years later, here we are. I don't think its just our home matches which aren't as vocal as they used to be/should be, but the extreme majority of the teams in the league have quieter atmospheres then when Standing was the norm. When you price out large sections of the fans who would want to watch, support and sing for their clubs, your catchment for people who will sing is reduced.

If (or when) Standing in Terraces is brought back, and ticket prices are reduced enough to allow for the average working fan to afford to take himself/herself to a game then I believe atmospheres will improve. Watching the Pool fans leave early at the weekend in protest, and the possibilities of further league wide fan protests, and the inquests into Hillsborough being the fault of Policing rather then standing terraces itself, I'm beginning to believe we're facing the start of such possibilities.

say yes

forum master baiter

Per game they're the most expensive in the country, Tottenham have the most expensive. (Edit: Might actually be the 3rd most - Liverpool first, Tottenham second).

But yeah the club have been pretty careful about raising ticket prices since the move to the Emirates. Although bearing in mind the recession/massive cash piles we're sitting on I'd say that's about right.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
CaxIpg8WAAUkqhk.jpg

@Billytheyid @GDeep™

You expect the London clubs to have the most expensive tickets but Sp**s are surprisingly high.

CJJ

Established Member
So far i haven't commented on this thread as i dont think you can say much about the atmosphere unless actually being there.

Having watched the Leicester game today i must be honest and say the atmosphere at Emirates is non-existent.

First off, i come from Denmark, so i dont know anything about english culture in terms of football. But here when we go to a game, we have an entire side of the stadium with the "singing" fans, who makes sure that it sounds like a home stadium. They literally wont shut up (and i mean that in a good way)

At emirates, i felt like everything was scattered, and people only seemed to wake up after we get a goal against us.

The fact that Coqelin and Giroud had to make gestures to "wake up" the stadium really only tells me im right. Judging by today (and i can only judge on today) i dont think a lot of teams would fear coming to the Emirates. We certainly dont make it hard on the opponent.

say yes

forum master baiter
Yeah atmosphere was pretty terrible today I thought. Leicester fans were dead quiet too though. 12 o'clock on a Sunday is hardly ideal.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
I love watching fan reactions from the stadium. There's a few of this goal out there but I can't embed them because they're not on youtube.

Giroud

Established Member
Atmosphere in the PL overall is pretty poor bar intense referee moments or goals.

The problem with the atmosphere in the Premier League is that no clubs have fan/ultra groups sitting together.

The people who want to create an good atmosphere are going to be put off when they're surrounded by fans who want to sit silently and watch the game. No one wants to sing alone.

CJJ

Established Member
The problem with the atmosphere in the Premier League is that no clubs have fan/ultra groups sitting together.

The people who want to create an good atmosphere are going to be put off when they're surrounded by fans who want to sit silently and watch the game. No one wants to sing alone.
That's what i dont get. You say there are groups that wants to sing but dont want to do it alone. I dont undestand why they dont ensure they're all seated at approximately the same place?

For example, in Denmark, the fans/ultras that wants to sing all occupy the same end of the stadium, ALWAYS. Behind the goal, and there are even people with megaphones stating which songs to sing next and so on. That entire "wing" of the stadium makes enough noice for everybody. (all the casuals sit elsewhere)

Top Bottom